Changes to High Bridge Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Eric whippet Brown View Post
    Hey Joe I'm raising my hand to let people know the club meeting is on the 8th at 6 pm @ Luigis you had the date for the 2010 SDGA Spokane CHILLY BOWL and we don't need to bring up this stuff then, were going to have a good time for a good cause with all the food for 2nd harvest food bank were raising. So please if you have any ideas about anything I will more than listen to them at the meeting or after the tourney if I'm still around. I do have discount putting coupons for the putting contest after the meeting.
    K, fixed the date, thanks

    Oh, and bring your rakes and shovels and leave your discs in your car, give Eric an hour tomorrow and reap the rewards all summer

    Comment


    • #47
      Thanks Troy,Brandon, Justin, Tim, Bailey, Tom, Thorton for all the work done today at the course. I hope some people like what we did I would say I hope everybody likes what we did but that's reaching out there a bit. Again thanks for all the dirty hard work from you guys, its people like today that make the courses for tomorrow.
      I said whippet, whippet good.

      Comment


      • #48
        Only semi on topic, I'm mostly posting this because this DVD looks sweet.

        This course has some tight holes: http://www.pdga.com/videos/clash-vi-...e-ribbon-pines

        Hole #5 has been thoroughly cleaned up (thanks Eric, Troy, and anyone else who did that!) and is nowhere near as tight or as long as some of the stuff at BRP.

        Highbridge is still a beginner's course.
        We're at our best when it's from our hips

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Parks View Post
          Filtering people to the correct location for their skill level is logical, no? People should play where they can enjoy playing. If they enjoy a challenge, that's great, if not, another course may be better suited to their skill.

          There's a Men's rec league for hockey in Spokane. I joined the B league because that's my skill level. I could join the A league if I wanted to challenge myself and join the C league if I wanted easy mode.

          I didn't join the A league and then say they should make the goal bigger because I can't score.
          Well said, Lyle and it makes sense.
          Fly free and straight to the pin!

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by General Scales View Post
            as far as i know central premix has issues with that idea. another great plot is the land across from scraps. its owned by the washington state department of transportation. they be more willing to let it be used. probably easier to deal with than the parks department as well.
            I thought that the land upriver of Sullivan was owned by the Cowles family (along with most of the land along the whole Spokane river)?

            Comment


            • #51
              I believe you are right about the land but Central Pre Mix has a drop station right there, along with no parking and the access to that side being on the road to Central Premix, they believe it'd be a problem. Won't matter if we can get Sullivan Park and the land by Scraps. Then we could have a family and pro level course within 2 miles of each other. That'd be sweet.
              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
              Cleveland Brown

              Comment


              • #52
                So the wood chips smell great! They should help keep the mud down around the baskets too. I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to the improvements and to the new pin placements. While I don't love every hole, I love the fact that we have new holes to shoot at. As for the challenging holes, I try and look at them for what they are: holes that will push me to become better. Speaking of challenging...I was told by a few members that hole 10 is officially a par 4? Per PDGA guidelines, it more than qualifies to be one. I've also had people laugh at me for suggesting that any hole be a par 4. (even though just about every NT, Worlds, and Nationals has them)

                Comment


                • #53
                  I have never heard of hole ten being offically a par 4 yet. Maybe at the club meeting that can be brought up? It would be like farragut they have par 4's for Ams and 3's for the Pro's from the same tee. I know that us Pro's wouldn't play it a par 4 even though that's not a bad number on that hole. Its a risky 2 if your lucky enough to get close and in the open, I can usually get the 3 on it.
                  I said whippet, whippet good.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Eric whippet Brown View Post
                    I have never heard of hole ten being offically a par 4 yet. Maybe at the club meeting that can be brought up? It would be like farragut they have par 4's for Ams and 3's for the Pro's from the same tee. I know that us Pro's wouldn't play it a par 4 even though that's not a bad number on that hole. Its a risky 2 if your lucky enough to get close and in the open, I can usually get the 3 on it.

                    http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/ParGuidelines.pdf

                    Yeah, I was looking at a chart on the PDGA website, and it certainlly wouldn't be par 4 for gold level players. However, I do think that making this a par 4 for "blue" and under players would go a long way in helping less advanced players feel like the course isn't stacked against them. Hole 3 is a little iffy as a blue par 4, but for white and red, definitely. Same with 14 and with several holes at Downriver (current layout).
                    I know that there has been some...frustration with the new layout. I really feel that if we were to go by these PDGA guidelines, it could work like a built-in handicap system and everyone would feel like they have more of an equal footing. For what it's worth, alternate teepads sound like a great idea too.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Par is what you make of it. If a hole feels like a par 5 to you, then its a par 5. It doesn't change what's on the scorecard.

                      To me, Hole 11 at Downriver and Hole 14 at High Bridge feel like par 4s because I've never dueced them. If I get a 3 on either one I am happy and feel like I played the hole well; if I have a drop in 3 then I played them really well.

                      For some people, those holes are par 5. For people with huge drives, they're par 3.

                      However, changing "official" par is only to make scorekeeping easier. It doesn't make sense to change the official par on any hole until there are at least five or six par 4 or 5 holes on a course. Until then, it just becomes really confusing when someone says they shot a two down or four up.

                      Of course, just listing everything as Pro par 3 and then having Am par 4 or 5 listed for a lot of holes (similar to Farragut) could help solve a lot of people's frustrations, and be a lot cheaper than alternate teepads. Eric is doing the signs (I think?) so he would be the one to talk to about that.
                      We're at our best when it's from our hips

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Parks View Post
                        Of course, just listing everything as Pro par 3 and then having Am par 4 or 5 listed for a lot of holes (similar to Farragut) could help solve a lot of people's frustrations, and be a lot cheaper than alternate teepads.
                        Lyle, Am par would be easy to figure out if we could get casual players to turn in scorecards. Pdga has a worksheet for exactly this purpose.
                        Fly free and straight to the pin!

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Wobbly Bob View Post
                          Lyle, Am par would be easy to figure out if we could get casual players to turn in scorecards. Pdga has a worksheet for exactly this purpose.
                          I know. I've read your posts

                          I'm just saying there doesn't need to be anything official listed for people to use whatever Par fits their skill level.
                          We're at our best when it's from our hips

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Parks View Post
                            Par is what you make of it. If a hole feels like a par 5 to you, then its a par 5. It doesn't change what's on the scorecard.

                            To me, Hole 11 at Downriver and Hole 14 at High Bridge feel like par 4s because I've never dueced them. If I get a 3 on either one I am happy and feel like I played the hole well; if I have a drop in 3 then I played them really well.

                            For some people, those holes are par 5. For people with huge drives, they're par 3.

                            However, changing "official" par is only to make scorekeeping easier. It doesn't make sense to change the official par on any hole until there are at least five or six par 4 or 5 holes on a course. Until then, it just becomes really confusing when someone says they shot a two down or four up.

                            Of course, just listing everything as Pro par 3 and then having Am par 4 or 5 listed for a lot of holes (similar to Farragut) could help solve a lot of people's frustrations, and be a lot cheaper than alternate teepads. Eric is doing the signs (I think?) so he would be the one to talk to about that.
                            I'm mostly thinking of casual play here. Most everyone thinks of their score as +1, -3, etc, and having different pars would impact this type of score keeping. Of course, a 57 is always a 57, but if there are 3 par 4s, then a 57 would be shooting even. However, if SDGA members aren't willing to embrace this, I don't think that there will be much effect given the fact that people look to you guys for leadership. It would have to be almost universally used. For me, it makes no difference, but it was not that long ago that I was taking a bogey every time I played 3 and it did wear on me for a while. That said, the first time I shot par on 3 or 14 felt like a birdie on any other hole.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Bring your ideas to the meeting on how the club can "embrace" a change to help the people look for our leadership? I don't really understand what your talking about? You mentioned casual play and par 57? If its a casual round and you want to play par 57 then go ahead. Again bring your ideas to me and we'll see what we can do to embrace the change your talking about.
                              I said whippet, whippet good.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Eric whippet Brown View Post
                                Bring your ideas to the meeting on how the club can "embrace" a change to help the people look for our leadership? I don't really understand what your talking about? You mentioned casual play and par 57? If its a casual round and you want to play par 57 then go ahead. Again bring your ideas to me and we'll see what we can do to embrace the change your talking about.
                                I've got class, so I wont be able to get to the meeting. This is just an idea that I got from someone online about how to make new players more comfortable playing tougher courses.

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X