X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiscGolfRules View Post
    Join the SDGA. Pay $20, sit down, shut up, and accept it. That membership provides the wright to be innsulted by board members for giving input to a club you payed to join. This is why I did not renew this year and never will again.
    Right, because that's exactly what happened here.

Just because my opinion is the same or similar to a few others on this board, my opinion is somehow less valid? And when I voice it, its not a concern, its an insult?

Please.
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Calling someone a newbie is an insult and you know that.

Comment

Then you told him to go play somewhere else. Weird club recruiting there.

Comment

I'm sorry if I insulted anyone with the newbie comment. I should have said beginner or intermediate ams. And as far as sit down and pay your money and not have a voice in the SDGA your pretty much wrong there, that's why we have more club meetings. We have a piece of land across from highbridge that I'm getting the feeling we need to make more beginner friendly. I think that if your an SDGA member and don't like the highbridge layout and would like a beginner friendly course, then propose something for peoples park. It would be a lot easier to design a shorter course then try and fix highbridge to be more friendly to the newer players of the sport.
          I said whippet, whippet good.

Comment

After reading all this I think having an A and B tee pads might be best. Many other courses do this and then its like doubling the number of holes also. Due to my schedule I can not attend pdga meetings but would be willing to map out allternate tee pads and send them to someone. It seems to me this could also be done with the new peaples park as well. Then that new location does not have to be easy and high bridge hard. Both locations could provide both. Hell it could be down at downriver also then everyone would have lots of options for throwin.

Comment

I think this has been a good discussion on a polarizing topic. Don't apologize for making the post, it has started a good debate and both sides have had good points. I will agree that the tone that some people have isn't ideal but at least everyone is passionate about disc golf. I think Mirabeau Point Park could be home to a great 9 hole course that could be kept in the trees and not interfere with other park users too much. That said, I highly doubt that the city would agree and if they did I doubt they would put any money into it. I think the short tee/long tee option is a fair one I am just not sure how suitable it would be to incorporate at DR or HB. Again, just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
                You can please some of the people all of the time but you will never please all of the people all of the time. Think about this - Have you played Farragut? If so how was it? Did you play the 9 hole pitch and putt that is family friendly? Did you or would you play Farragut just to play the 9 hole easy course? I am guessing probably not because the other two courses are bigger and better and challenge your game in different ways and you realize that while short easy holes are necessary for the extreme beginners to get comfortable they are not what bring players back for more. I believe the SDGA is moving in the right direction and I also believe that there are suitable areas for shorter courses that would cater to the less skilled but I also think that it should be some of those players who persue these other avenues. Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work SDGA, I already think you are doing better than last year.

Nice that you mentioned Farragut. Very well designed and groomed to take into account many different levels of players. High Bridge could have a similar look and feel to it if we were able to do some grooming of the land. Could you imagine standing on 4's tee and trying to decide to hyzer the long way to the right or go for a lengthy very tight key hole placement up to the pin from amongst all those saplings to the left of the tee? There are tons of things we could to improve the play and approach of the holes that would not necessarily make them "easier" but enhance the play for all levels of players. Just need an intelligent design that could be sold to the powers that be.

Comment

putting in alt tees is the best solution and has been suggested to the board (and the person in charge before their was a board) many many times over the years but because it costs more money than alt pins has never been supported by a few people. but the new board is doing a very good job listening to all the players willing to put in their 2 cents and I'm sure whatever happens will be the best for disc golf as a whole.
                  and my two cents is that highbridge even with the new harder holes is no where near a pro level course and doesent play much harder now than it did before. an equal number of holes were made easier as well as those that were made harder.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
                    I think this has been a good discussion on a polarizing topic. Don't apologize for making the post, it has started a good debate and both sides have had good points. I will agree that the tone that some people have isn't ideal but at least everyone is passionate about disc golf. I think Mirabeau Point Park could be home to a great 9 hole course that could be kept in the trees and not interfere with other park users too much. That said, I highly doubt that the city would agree and if they did I doubt they would put any money into it. I think the short tee/long tee option is a fair one I am just not sure how suitable it would be to incorporate at DR or HB. Again, just my 2 cents.
                    Mirabeau is the dream location of the valley but alas, according to Matt Stone (who was the last person in charge at Spokane Valley Parks and Rec that I knew of) it will never happen. Three things come into consideration with why it won't.
                    1.) Parking. Plain and simple. Disc golfers take up a lot of parking and since there is so very very little of it in the area, it's a big problem.
                    2.) They get 1600 dollars for weddings and receptions and pics taken by the waterfall. If you wish to rent the whole place out, that is the base fee. Since we can't raise that amount of cash, it's a no go.
                    3.) Park users. The trails are too populated with too many people for it to be 'safe'. He did go on to say that the area that is fenced off would be great for it and maybe one day if the parking is fixed, there might be a possibility there.

Now back to Highbridge. Alt tee's for all the holes would be sweet but could quite possibly interfere with play on some of the holes. Some would really benefit from an alt tee for noodle arms and people that are just playing casually. Especially 4. Perhaps do what was done with hole 3 and place a paint marking on the ground off to the left in the road. Shorten it up and make it a much more neutral shot for those who can't get it done on the regular. There are a few other holes that this could be done with and would make a definite improvement for casual players and new disc golfers.

I just don't know what the stance is of Spokane Parks and Rec about having paint laid down on the service roads...
                    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                    Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by DiscGolfRules View Post
                      Then you told him to go play somewhere else. Weird club recruiting there.
                      Filtering people to the correct location for their skill level is logical, no? People should play where they can enjoy playing. If they enjoy a challenge, that's great, if not, another course may be better suited to their skill.

There's a Men's rec league for hockey in Spokane. I joined the B league because that's my skill level. I could join the A league if I wanted to challenge myself and join the C league if I wanted easy mode.

I didn't join the A league and then say they should make the goal bigger because I can't score.
                      Last edited by Parks; February 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon011001 View Post
                        After reading all this I think having an A and B tee pads might be best. Many other courses do this and then its like doubling the number of holes also. Due to my schedule I can not attend pdga meetings but would be willing to map out allternate tee pads and send them to someone. It seems to me this could also be done with the new peaples park as well. Then that new location does not have to be easy and high bridge hard. Both locations could provide both. Hell it could be down at downriver also then everyone would have lots of options for throwin.
                        Chris, thanks for being proactive and constructive.

You see a problem and not only identify a solution but offer your time as well.

I know you're not exactly a Rec player, but this is the kind of stuff that helps the SDGA become a better club.

That being said, funding is still the major issue with alt. teepads.

Comment

Alternate Pin placements

Through all of this angry talk i will try and stay positive. To the players wishing to make High Bridge less difficult for beginners:
                          Bring real solutions to the club at the meeting on the 8th, or to Eric Brown, facilities coordinator.
                          Do Not raise your hand at the club meeting and ask how they plan to fix the course.
                          Do bring viable solutions to the club, if this means you have to site examples of what other clubs in other cities have done to their courses, then take 2 hours and do some homework. If that means that you have to print a map of the land at high bridge and walk around the course plotting out shorter alternate cost effective tee positions, then do it.
                          A lot of us have given a lot. Do your part, if you are prepared with something to say, they will listen.
                          If they don't, email me. It's my username @ yahoo.com.
                          I have every board member's cell number and nothing better to do then talk about Disc Golf
                          Last edited by joeroyer; February 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM. Reason: date correction

Comment

There is another Sullivan option that I've been bouncing around in my head for a while. East of the Sullivan bridge there is a narrow strip of land that extends about a mile upriver. We used to paintball there, but as far as I know, it's mostly used by homeless people now. There is substantial ground cover that would swallow discs, and the river would almost always come in to play. Could make a nice little course though...

Comment

Hey Joe I'm raising my hand to let people know the club meeting is on the 8th at 6 pm @ Luigis you had the date for the 2010 SDGA Spokane CHILLY BOWL and we don't need to bring up this stuff then, were going to have a good time for a good cause with all the food for 2nd harvest food bank were raising. So please if you have any ideas about anything I will more than listen to them at the meeting or after the tourney if I'm still around. I do have discount putting coupons for the putting contest after the meeting.
                              I said whippet, whippet good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Johnson View Post
                                There is another Sullivan option that I've been bouncing around in my head for a while. East of the Sullivan bridge there is a narrow strip of land that extends about a mile upriver. We used to paintball there, but as far as I know, it's mostly used by homeless people now. There is substantial ground cover that would swallow discs, and the river would almost always come in to play. Could make a nice little course though...
                                as far as i know central premix has issues with that idea. another great plot is the land across from scraps. its owned by the washington state department of transportation. they be more willing to let it be used. probably easier to deal with than the parks department as well.
                                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X