Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never said i want easy holes, nor did I say to move 13 back. I commented about some of the changes, and said we need to consider the whole disc golf community. Originally my biggest complaint was the course need to be cleaned up a lot, and maybe there were other options than moving the baskets.

Actually, since I am a member of the SDGA am I right in assuming there is a voting process on course changes? And why are we changing existing courses. Why not make these new courses pro?

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon011001 View Post
      I like your alternate club idea. Can other clubs use your courses? If another club does start could it put in allternate tee pads?
      The courses are public so anyone can use the course and play there.

As for teepads or other modifications: Only with permission of the SDGA. There needs to be direction and supervision of changes rather than rogue course "improvement." People have broken branches and cut trees in order to make holes easier without the consent of the SDGA, and it has only caused problems and jeopardized the courses.

That being said, if you could fund/find your own land for a course then it would be your direction and supervision required for course changes (in association with the land owner, of course).
      Last edited by Parks; February 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM.
      We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Evil T View Post
        I never said i want easy holes, nor did I say to move 13 back. I commented about some of the changes, and said we need to consider the whole disc golf community. Originally my biggest complaint was the course need to be cleaned up a lot, and maybe there were other options than moving the baskets.
        This is all very viable.

Actually, since I am a member of the SDGA am I right in assuming there is a voting process on course changes?
        Yes, the next meeting is 6pm Feb. 8th at Luigi's downtown. Downriver will probably be on the agenda, but High Bridge will not since the expansion (not change) has taken place. High Bridge's old pin placements will all still be used, as will the currently unused alts.

And why are we changing existing courses. Why not make these new courses pro?
        We will do what suits the land given appropriate funds. I personally think that People's Park could be a great SSA (scratch scoring average) 54 course. People's Park will certainly be on the agenda Feb. 8th. Come and voice your opinion.

Comment

You can please some of the people all of the time but you will never please all of the people all of the time. Think about this - Have you played Farragut? If so how was it? Did you play the 9 hole pitch and putt that is family friendly? Did you or would you play Farragut just to play the 9 hole easy course? I am guessing probably not because the other two courses are bigger and better and challenge your game in different ways and you realize that while short easy holes are necessary for the extreme beginners to get comfortable they are not what bring players back for more. I believe the SDGA is moving in the right direction and I also believe that there are suitable areas for shorter courses that would cater to the less skilled but I also think that it should be some of those players who persue these other avenues. Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work SDGA, I already think you are doing better than last year.

Comment

Maybe I do have the wrong mind set. Maybe we should concentrate on the players that need to be challenged more. Maybe new players should be segregated off to a different course. I really don't see less skilled players building a new course, but that is an option. I guess I need to look from everyone's perspective.

I do apologize for starting this thread. My original point has been muddled, and the thread has become malicious.

Comment

I'm going to try and figure out a schedule to move baskets in alt positions and the club is in the process of making new tee signs. I hope to have signs up ASAP and figure what layout is A or B, I also have all materials for a kiosk so we can let the players know what layout is in play. I would also like opinions on changing the basket #'s to have 11 as hole 1, more people park and start on A street so it would make more sense? So then that makes me want to put the kiosk up by hole #11. Any ideas on anything let me know. I have an idea for hole 6 and 7 alt tee's and pins, but I don't know if it will make the course harder for others because it adds distance on hole 6 but a open natural fairway. I will put paint down on Wed when I have a crew helping me clean up and get more tee boxes fixed.
              I said whippet, whippet good.

Comment

Maybe I do have the wrong mind set. Maybe we should concentrate on the players that need to be challenged more. Maybe new players should be segregated off to a different course. I really don't see less skilled players building a new course, but that is an option. I guess I need to look from everyone's perspective.

I do apologize for starting this thread. My original point has been muddled, and the thread has become malicious.
                I think your original point is strong "consider the rec players."

That being said, I think the tone of some of the posts in this thread have been misinterpreted.

Eric: Hole 1 is down in the bottom because the gazebo is an easy place to set up tourney central.

For local players, it doesn't matter a whole lot what you actually call hole 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric whippet Brown View Post
                  I have an idea for hole 6 and 7 alt tee's and pins, but I don't know if it will make the course harder for others because it adds distance on hole 6 but a open natural fairway.
                  Speaking for myself, I would rather play a longer hole with a legit fairway than a shorter one where luck is the dominant factor.

I'm impressed by the effort everyone is putting into this. Forward momentum is good even if the process gets messy at times. Ultimately what we are all working towards is for Spokane to have the best course options possible.

Comment

Chase Middle School has a 7 hole course set up. The tee boxes are not marked so you can tee-off from anywhere you want. There are no trees to make the game more challenging. There are some elevation changes.

Blue Grass Park in Cd'A, ID. has a very beginner friendly 9 hole course set up but some of the holes are close to 250'.

I still think that generating am pars for our courses would solve this problem.
                    Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

If the Spokane Parks Dept. were to give us a community park to develop a pitch and putt in, I'm sure that after we have finished the projects we are working on presently we could raise the $5400 it would cost to install a nine hole course.
                      Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Why not just add amateur pads to one of the existing courses? No new land is needed, and the pro pads can be as tough as the pros want them to be. Everybody wins.
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

All we did was add alt pin locations and now its a tougher course, so what, it's not going to stay that way 4 ever. I'm sure as soon as we move it back to its original layout, someone will complain on how easy it is? Just play the course get better and then all will be good. It will be impossible to please everyone, I think newbies should be exposed to various types of holes that will make them work on different shots. As soon as we made changes to highbridge it gets played way more than normal, so there are people that do like it and don't, so its going to be a gradual change that everyone is going to have to accept.
                          I said whippet, whippet good.

Comment

So I love the new layout at Highbridge. I agree that it's not beginner friendly but it's not supposed to be. Just like Eric, I started @ Downriver and Farragut. Neither one of those places is beginner friendly (I didn't know about the 9 hole till a year after I started playing).

As for making a beginner friendly course, has anybody tried to secure Sullivan Park for disc golf? I was in talks with Matt Stone @ Spo Valley Parks and Rec but we lost touch. The place could be made into a Corbin'esque style course. 15-18 holes. Nothing over 400 feet. Lots of wooded shots but thats what makes people learn to throw better. If it's always open where is your improvement?

Just something to think about since Sullivan Park, in my opinion offers way more potential for a great place to huck then Plantes Ferry.
                            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Accept it

Originally posted by Eric whippet Brown View Post
                              All we did was add alt pin locations and now its a tougher course, so what, it's not going to stay that way 4 ever. I'm sure as soon as we move it back to its original layout, someone will complain on how easy it is? Just play the course get better and then all will be good. It will be impossible to please everyone, I think newbies should be exposed to various types of holes that will make them work on different shots. As soon as we made changes to highbridge it gets played way more than normal, so there are people that do like it and don't, so its going to be a gradual change that everyone is going to have to accept.

Join the SDGA. Pay $20, sit down, shut up, and accept it. That membership provides the wright to be innsulted by board members for giving input to a club you payed to join. This is why I did not renew this year and never will again.

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                                As for making a beginner friendly course, has anybody tried to secure Sullivan Park for disc golf? I was in talks with Matt Stone @ Spo Valley Parks and Rec but we lost touch. The place could be made into a Corbin'esque style course. 15-18 holes. Nothing over 400 feet. Lots of wooded shots but thats what makes people learn to throw better. If it's always open where is your improvement?

Just something to think about since Sullivan Park, in my opinion offers way more potential for a great place to huck then Plantes Ferry.
                                There are some people working with the Valley/County/whoever owns it to put something in at Sullivan. I believe they have the goal of starting a club that will hopefully materialize around this summer.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X