X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Creekside Nine

There was a Spokane Park Board meeting last week that Jeff & Gordy attended. It was stated by Parks the we were not to proceed with the new Creekside Nine at this time. We were however given the Okay for the Nine across A Street. How many second pin positions were installed on the existing course? I want to update the website.
    Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

there are 7 anchors across "a" street we will have 4 baskets and 5 buckets or tone poles untill spring. if anyone wants to help out let me know, we need to start work on the teepads (just leveling them out)
      half the baskets will be moved today and they will be rotated every month or so
      thanks go out to everone that helped out.
      joe, troy, lyle, eric, shad(and his kids) kevin, tim, cole, christian, shawna, thorton, jeff, and i'm sure there are some i missed
      its great to see something happening again its been way to long

Comment

Originally posted by catalystdg View Post
        there are 7 anchors across "a" street we will have 4 baskets and 5 buckets or tone poles untill spring. if anyone wants to help out let me know, we need to start work on the teepads (just leveling them out)
        half the baskets will be moved today and they will be rotated every month or so
        thanks go out to everone that helped out.
        joe, troy, lyle, eric, shad(and his kids) kevin, tim, cole, christian, shawna, thorton, jeff, and i'm sure there are some i missed
        its great to see something happening again its been way to long
        Just post when you need help. If I'm not working I'll try to be there.

Comment

First off, I want to thank Christopher and Jeremy for planning out the alt pins and the holes across A Street, and I want to thank the club for moving forward with it.

My synopsis of the new pins:

Hole 1, 50' past normal pin. I didn't like this at first as I didn't think it changed the shot enough, but playing to the anchor today it does play quit a bit differently. I had to disc up to a driver and throw a big anny, and couldn't reach it with a thumber. The trees definitely make it a different style shot.

Hole 2, pin straight and at tree line of 17's fairway. I like this one, its nothing special really but there isn't really anywhere else to put this pin. It changes the shot and makes it a little less technical for lefties/sidearm throwers. It seems more about range control than anything else now.

Hole 3, pin off to the right on the point in the woods. This pin is fantastic, I think it is very challenging but rewards good drive/upshot placement. There is risk/reward in going for the birdie on this one with the hairy green. You will definitely see scoring variation on this hole in tournaments.

Hole 4, pin off to the left about 50 feet into the woods. This is one of two pins that I'm not a fan of. I think its in the dreaded par 3.5 category. It is possible to bird with a decent amount of power for righties, but lefties don't really have a chance at bird without some ridiculous shot. I think pushing this pin back into the woods another 100 feet or so would make it a nice, fair par 4 where you had to make two well-placed shots for a 3. You could make a single moderate screw-up and get a par 4, and anything beyond that would be bogeyville. I just don't see much scoring variation happening on this hole.

Hole 5, pin 80' to the left of the current pin and down a bit. I like this pin, it requires a tougher shot to birdie than the normal pin, but is still reachable by anyone. There is a righty hyzer route, but it requires good execution to birdie that way. I think this balances out the slight lefty/sidearm bias of the normal pin. As an added bonus, this pin plays the route along path in the alternate old teepad placement for 5. This will come into play if the teepads for 5 and 6 ever get moved across the street.

Hole 6, pin to the right 100' and beyond the treeline. This was the other pin I wasn't a big fan of. I think the routes to the pin are pretty lucky, and you'll see a lot of boring 3's on this hole. All one has to do is avoid the right side of the fairway and its a 3 every time. That being said, I don't really know of a spot for an alt on this hole that changes the shot and makes for an exciting hole.

Hole 7, pin straight down the right side route. I like this pin, as it requires a straight shot through a fair opening. I'm thinking the some of the brush behind the basket should be cleared in order to punish ace runs that are too aggressive by not stopping them, as well as to make a decent size green for this one.

Hole 8, no alt pin. Possibly an alt teepad in the future, a little ways back into the clearing behind the current pad? That would add a some much needed difficulty to this hole.

Hole 9, alt pin back and to the left about 60 feet. I really like this pin placement. There is actually some risk to the hole now, and it requires hitting a good line for birdie.

Hole 10, alt pin back and to the right about 80 feet. This pin might be my favorite. You have to place your drive, then control your upshot onto the hairy green. There is risk reward, as trying to park your drive can leave you with a nasty upshot, and running long birdie putts can leave you without a return putts. A bad drive is punished with a much harder upshot, but a great approach can still save a 3. You will definitely see scoring variation on this hole in tournaments.

Hole 11, alt pin to the left of the road, about as deep as normal pin. I like this one. Its about range control. Too shallow, too deep, or too far left and you don't have a putt, but there is a large, fair green that rewards good drives with a good birdie opportunity.

Hole 12, alt pin to the left 100' and a little deeper. Its a little tougher to hit the right line than the normal placement. A bit righty favoring, while the normal pin has a bit of a lefty bias. Not much else to say.

Hole 13, alt pin through the new fairway on right side. This hole is sweet. You have to play the tunnel, and there are good routes at the end for righties and lefties. For righties, its a gentle hyzer-flip that comes back, and for lefties its a flat hyzer that fades late. This reminds me of hole 6 on the Porcupine course but plays more fairly. I would even go so far as to suggest that there be another alt pin placement added to the left and we could stop using the old pin altogether.

Hole 14, pin on the bump to the left of the path leading to the normal pin. I'm still a bit undecided on this one. I think the normal pin is great since you have to play golf on it if you don't have the power to reach it, and it requires you to hit your line very well to birdie it. This pin on the other hand is a very easy three, and birdieing it just requires a decent amount of power without much care for the lines you use to get there. I guess how I end up feeling on this one will be based on how hard it is to play the green.

Hole 15, alt pin is 3's normal pin. This is a good one. It requires hitting a late gap, and its unwise to overdrive this hole. [edit]This is not the official alt, I forget who told me it was. There currently isn't an alt for 15.[/edit]

Hole 16, alt pin is straighter and deeper than the normal pin. This one is fun, it requires a long, somewhat straight drive to birdie. Can easily leave you with a 4 if your drive is poorly placed. It plays sort of like Hawk 4 in this position. This one will probably have a good scoring range in tournaments.

Hole 17, alt pin is 50 feet to the right of the current position. This one forces you to throw a straighter shot than the other position, but is more forgiving of skips from shots that hyzer in.

Hole 18, no alt pin. I don't see a good place for an alt pin on this one. There could be a good place for an alt teepad, but safety could be an issue.
          Last edited by Parks; November 19th, 2009, 05:08 PM.
          We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Thank you for the update on all the new pins. I love the sound of 13's new route. Definitely going to hit it up on Saturday afternoon.

Are the baskets going to rotate on a monthly basis say like Cherry Hill or Corbin? Or is it going to be a move half the baskets and half the next month to keep the new layouts fresh as humanly possible?

Either way I'm frickin stoked that something has been done to modify the course.
            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

The idea of alt 15 in 3's pin location I think is going to be a big problem with people playing hole 3. If your drive (rhbh) off 15 went straight and didn't hyzer out it would go for 3's alt and throwing (lhbh) could drive into 3's fairway there. plus the fact that people will probably play 15's alt from 3's tee like it was normal 3? We should try to get some sort of alt tee's signs up soon so we can stop any confusion out there now. But all in all it is fun to play a different layout. Played it 3 times now and have only posted a 5 down so far, I think I will go play it tomorrow.
              I said whippet, whippet good.

Comment

alt hole 15 does not play to 3's basket. (if this is the way its set up please let me know)
                hole 15 does not have an alt pin at this time.
                hole 5 and 6 teepads will be moved so they will no longer be throwing over the road. hole 1 could potentialy be moved as well if the telephone pole gets hit very often.

Comment

So are all the baskets that have alt pins moved at this time? If not which ones are so I can play them accordingly when I head there tomorrow.

Also, the new nine at A street, any tee markings?
                  Cleveland Brown

Comment

went down and played today trying to iron out what will be the a and b placements and i should have a map ready soon.
                    hole 4 is probably one of my favorite holes on the course and once it gets thinned out a little it will play a lot better for the biginner level players, right now if you can throw 275 -325 straight and a 100 -125 ft upshot its a easy par but if you try to hyzer( rhbh) of the tee and you cant throw a 425 ft hyzer you will bogey or worse, its actually an almost exact mirror of new 10 ( just a little thicker with small trees)
                    also got some good news and bad news... we will not have the holes we just put in across "a" street but we will be able to use all of peoples park and the area between riverside, gov. way and the creek.

Comment

What happened? I thought Parks and Rec was on board for A Street.

Comment

Will there be a work party to do some clearing around some of the alt pins?

9 in specific could use a lot of work.
                        We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Ducks in a row> Meeting 6pm Stadium Pizza Nov 22

First the bad news> we jumped the gun a little on the new hole placements, we will need to remove those anchors...but the good news is that after meeting with City Parks, there are other areas for more expansion. The place we had was in the middle of the new dog park. Please come to the meeting
                          at Stadium Pizza Sunday Nov 22 @ 6 pm where Jeff Crum and Board members will report on their progress with the City, and where we go from here.
                          Jaymie

Comment

Doggone.

Originally posted by Timber View Post
                            What happened? I thought Parks and Rec was on board for A Street.
                            In our initial discussions following thr Park Board meeting it was all good except for mentioning there's a big deal dog-walking park on board for the area just west of A St. How this is instructive to us is that there are lots of other interest groups that have their eye on the same ground we are vying for. I'm not kidding. These groups are far more vested in their projects than we are and yet we enjoy an actual installation and they're still working for one. Does anyone in this organization actually value what we have verses those who are better funded, better organized and far more mainstream than us still have yet not achieved? Take a minute to think about that and get back to me. G.

Comment

Clarfying what hole are going to be removed

Originally posted by Gordy #21004 View Post
                              First the bad news> we jumped the gun a little on the new hole placements, we will need to remove those anchors...but the good news is that after meeting with City Parks, there are other areas for more expansion. The place we had was in the middle of the new dog park. Please come to the meeting
                              at Stadium Pizza Sunday Nov 22 @ 6 pm where Jeff Crum and Board members will report on their progress with the City, and where we go from here.
                              Jaymie
                              To clarify, the ALT placements will stay. It is only the new pins for the additional 9 holes on the west side of "A-Street" that are going to be removed. Please do not attempt to play these holes.

Comment

Alt pins rule.

So thanks to every single person that had a hand in putting in or designing alt pin placements for Highbridge! It brought a breath of much needed fresh air to the course.

So here are the thoughts about the new pins.

1.) Loved it.
                                2.) Love it and almost aced it! Hit the rim with an Elite Z Buzzz.
                                3.) Didn't see any alt layout. Probably to keep from confusing people who don't know already about the new layout?
                                4.) Loved it! Threw two discs and par'd both of em. Albeit, one was much prettier and required way less luck.
                                5.) Love it and probably my favorite. I came out with a one over! It's definitely about range control as I totally overthrew it.
                                6.) Meh, i'll probably love this one but it's practically impossible to see from the actual fairway. Got a one over and was happy to take it since I threw it blind.
                                7.) Loved it. Definitely see why the bushes behind the basket should be removed. Would've been a hard par if it wouldn't of been for them. Instead it was a nice deuce and I see a lot of aces happening here.
                                9.) Can take it or leave it. Didn't change my normal par in any way so no biggie to me.
                                10.) Love it but think that a little bit of clearing around the approach area would make it a much more playable hole for those that aren't as zealous about their disc golf.
                                11.) Like 9. Didn't change my score.
                                12.) Woohoo!! Love it and definitely worth the anguish it caused my friend.
                                13.) Wasn't in place when I was there.
                                14.) Wasn't in place when I was there.
                                16.) Meh. Not my fave but then again it never was.
                                17.) Alright but definite right hand side arm or left hand backhand favoring. Then again there isn't much place for it to go.

Good job and I look forward to seeing the other few alts.
                                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X