X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roadhog View Post
    played them all in the area. except four mounds and fairchild. I really enjoy the course layout at high bridge. it is actually my favorite couse in the immediate area. some long some short is great on a course. if all the holes are long whats the point of having a FAMILY sport! when new players and families go to play how long do you think they will stick around if they are scoring 6 or 7 per hole because ALL the holes are too long. leave it with some long and some short so that EVERYONE can enjoy it, not just the long throwers!
    P.S. theres also a short course in CDA called blue grass. played that too.
    adding alternates does not mean making all the holes longer it is just making more places to put the baskets so we can change it up from time to time.
    some pins might be longer, some shorter and some just changed so you have to throw a different route.

Comment

the direction that this thread started out is that General Scales and Parks dont want short holes on the course. they want it more challanging for them. more challaging for them means pretty much impossible for average players and kids. Corbin has alternate baskets and it makes it different not necessarily harder or longer, just different. i am all for alternate tees and baskets but leave it a family course where average people and kids can enjoy it also.
      Work is for people that dont golf!!!!!

Comment

the direction that this thread started out is that General Scales and Parks dont want short holes on the course. they want it more challanging for them. more challaging for them means pretty much impossible for average players and kids. Corbin has alternate baskets and it makes it different not necessarily harder or longer, just different. i am all for alternate tees and baskets but leave it a family course where average people and kids can enjoy it also.
        they never said they don't want short holes. they want to make the course more chalenging for them wich does not neccesarily mean it plays harder for the beginner. adding alternate pins usually does not effect the overall play of a beginner level player most alternate pins are within 30-40 feet of the original(or originall fairway) the most chalanging thing about alternates is that you aren't throwing the same shot every time.

Comment

the direction that this thread started out is that General Scales and Parks dont want short holes on the course.
          I never said that.

You said you liked playing some of the short holes with your kids at High Bridge because they could birdie them, so I was making sure that you knew there were other courses in the area with short holes. Filtering people to courses that match their skill level is a win for everyone.

Also, my favorite hole at High Bridge is a short hole (#17, it combines aesthetic appeal with multiple fair routes, and a good scoring range), and I think that some of the shorter holes play really well (#5, its a tough landing zone to control, although it is deuce or die).

That being said, I think that High Bridge and Downriver are fairly redundant. The SSA of each course is 48, give or take a stroke. I would like to see one of them get a more challenging layout. Challenging doesn't necessarily equate with long, as catalystdg pointed out.

Also, putting in a new course is actually pretty difficult. We always seem to be able to get some interest from the city/park/whoever and yet new courses never get put in.

As a final note, pretend that every hole at High Bridge remained exactly the same but had 200 feet added to it (obviously not possible, just make believe). Wouldn't you just start 200 feet closer to the pin if your family or group were just beginners? It wouldn't hurt your experience in any way.
          We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

i have the locations for 17 alt pin locations and we have the anchors so if anyone wants to help installing them let me know
            also the north nine is ready for anchors as well

Comment

be glad to help. when and where to meet let me know.
              Work is for people that dont golf!!!!!

Comment

we will start digging fri around 10ish and sat around 9 ish nov 13 and 14

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                  I never said that.

You said you liked playing some of the short holes with your kids at High Bridge because they could birdie them, so I was making sure that you knew there were other courses in the area with short holes. Filtering people to courses that match their skill level is a win for everyone.

Also, my favorite hole at High Bridge is a short hole (#17, it combines aesthetic appeal with multiple fair routes, and a good scoring range), and I think that some of the shorter holes play really well (#5, its a tough landing zone to control, although it is deuce or die).

That being said, I think that High Bridge and Downriver are fairly redundant. The SSA of each course is 48, give or take a stroke. I would like to see one of them get a more challenging layout. Challenging doesn't necessarily equate with long, as catalystdg pointed out.

Also, putting in a new course is actually pretty difficult. We always seem to be able to get some interest from the city/park/whoever and yet new courses never get put in.

As a final note, pretend that every hole at High Bridge remained exactly the same but had 200 feet added to it (obviously not possible, just make believe). Wouldn't you just start 200 feet closer to the pin if your family or group were just beginners? It wouldn't hurt your experience in any way.
                  Amen to that. I'm not saying make every hole at Highbridge 500 plus feet. That would be retarded. My favorite hole out there is 18 and that is longer but because of the elevation change is reachable by most with a solid drive. I get there with a Buzzz. I'm saying it would be nice to have all the holes have an a and b setup. That way the whole of Spokane isn't playing the same 18 hole over and over.
                  "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                  Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by catalystdg View Post
                    we will start digging fri around 10ish and sat around 9 ish nov 13 and 14
                    I'll try and make it down there Saturday to help with whatever needs it. I won't be out of work on Saturday till noon but I'll fly down there to help.

So if I'm understanding correctly Highbridge is going to become a 36? Does that mean like 18 north and 18 south like say Lakewood or Steliacom. Or is it going to be one continuous loop? That would be epic. Plus does this mean that some of the Chump Challenge 2009 holes are going to become permanent? I sure hope so!!!!
                    Cleveland Brown

Comment

bring shovels if anyone has a wheelbarrow, 5 gallon buckets. or some spare 2x4s or 4x4s let me know
                      again 10 am fri nov 13, 9am sat nov 14
                      thanks

Comment

Alt pin and new holes look sweet

I will bring my camera down tomorrow for the 2nd round of us clearing out fairways and greens, there are some fun new holes that make it more of a challenge which is good Thanks to everyone that came out and hope to see more on Sat.
                        I said whippet, whippet good.

Comment

So you guys added nine new pins and poles yesterday? Woohoo!!! How do they play with the existing 18 hole and where in the layout were they added?
                          Are they any of the chump challenge holes?
                          Cleveland Brown

Comment

New pins are in!!!

New anchors for most/all of the holes at High Bridge are in concrete, and the baskets will be moved over this week, nine at a time. Some of the holes play harder and a few of them play easier, some play nearly the same but you might finish left instead of right or vice versa. I think the "family fun" value will still be high. None of the new placements are unreasonable, just different, like you might move a hole around on a golf green.
                            There are 9 new holes scoped out on the west side of A street, starting down by the Riverside, A street, Park Road intersection, and finishes up near the current #11 tee. Most of the anchors are in, but no teepads are built yet. More to come soon.

Comment

Will there be another work party on Saturday the 21st?

Was out there playing today and saw a bunch of the new pin placements, and some of the new holes across the street. I like most of them, but I really like that someone is doing something. If you need help again just leave another post here. Would be cool to find a group in town that's more active. If not maybe I'll go put stairs down on six. Been saying that for years. There's bricks everywhere to do it. Damn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil T View Post
                                Was out there playing today and saw a bunch of the new pin placements, and some of the new holes across the street. I like most of them, but I really like that someone is doing something. If you need help again just leave another post here. Would be cool to find a group in town that's more active. If not maybe I'll go put stairs down on six. Been saying that for years. There's bricks everywhere to do it. Damn it.
                                Don't bother. My understanding is that 5 and 6 will need their teepads changed eventually since they play across the street.

You would want to talk to catalystdg, but if anywhere needs stairs it would be up to the alt teepad for hole 12. The slick paint on concrete for its current pad isn't that safe, and there are some trees that need trimming for the lower tee that wouldn't affect the upper tee.
                                We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X