Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So does this mean DR is going to look like the PDF posted? I like the looks of it, got macked in the neck last month and am now very leery of close holes. I like the old layout of DR but with changes that needed to be made no longer flows. It is a great location and I look forward to a revamped course that will really shine for Spokane.

Comment

Originally posted by Dadio! View Post
      So does this mean DR is going to look like the PDF posted? I like the looks of it, got macked in the neck last month and am now very leery of close holes. I like the old layout of DR but with changes that needed to be made no longer flows. It is a great location and I look forward to a revamped course that will really shine for Spokane.
      I agree, I think it's even more dangerous than it used to be.. Hole 1 is a good place to die.. If your putting and don't make it to hole 2 sucks to be you.. or even me if it happens.. I would put the teepad back where it used to be.. New players can easily hit people on one from hole 11 and they don't even know they are bombing on them. Sure on hole 11 you are under fire from 16 but if you are good enough to throw that far you know to yell fore.. same thing if you yank a drive on from 11 far enough to land down by 1 you know to holler. It's all just a temporary fix as we need to figure out a new course to follow the city's request to change our course. There is no way add alternates to keep the course the way it has been
      Relax and enjoy your hair
      TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Hello?? Anyone? Ferris? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?
        TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
          I believe some changes have been approved, but you would have to check with the board for specifics.

Comment

REALLY?? I am only talking about 1 change. Just a safety concern. Lucky nobody has gotten hurt and our weather has been crappy. On a mega busy day it's goin to happen..
            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Changes at Downriver

Yes it is true. The SDGA board approved changes for 5 holes to comply with the City's request that we stay away from erosion on the banks. A map will be posted soon. More later.

Sky Pilot

Yoduh - call me
              Rely on Me

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
                The SDGA Board met on Satuday, June 12 to hammer out the details for the changes made to Downriver.

The changes that we voted in were:
                1. Hole 2 would be changed such that the teepad will be moved somewhere near the "fishing sign" and the pin will be moved to the right some to direct discs away from the river and bank. Hole 2's current teepad can be left in place and used for Hole 12.

2. Hole 3 would be moved down the hill to prevent erosion behind the teepad. The pin would be moved up the hill to reduce the chance of discs going into the river or toward 4's teepad.

3. Holes 7's teepad will be moved back and to the left to direct discs more away from the river on the drive.

4. Hole 8's pin will be moved inland. The specifics are up in the air, but the shot everyone seemed to like was in between the area for 7's current teepad and old 8's fairway. The changes for hole 7 and 8 will ensure that the fairways don't cross, the hole 7 teepad area will be safer, and will alleviate the erosion issue near hole 8's pin.

5. Hole 14's teepad and pin will be moved back about 30 feet to allow more room for hole 15 to be adjusted without really changing the shot.

6. Hole 15's teepad and pin will be adjusted to prevent discs from going over the eroded hillside. An exact setup wasn't laid out, but it will likely be using the old teepad and the pin will probably be moved a little shorter and to the right.

Those are all the changes that were voted on.

There is also a suggestion to change holes 6 and 9, but it was deemed non-critical since the erosion along 9 is negligible since it is mostly rocky terrain on the bank. Its possible that those two holes could be changed in the future, but it is low priority.
                Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Can't say I like the new layout, but if the city if forcing your hand then..... I wish I had seen that Downriver was going to be changed because I would've tried to offer some input prior to the vote. But I'll offer it anyways, at least for hole 15. There is already an alternate teepad in a grand location closer to the basket and to the right of the current position (with small log in place for seating). My friends and I use this location to avoid having to chase the occasional bad shot down the hill (not that we're bad, we all usually shoot around 5 or so). This now becomes a shot requiring more accuracy than power and creates a much tighter fairway that steers clear of the bank. This would be a relatively inexpensive change requiring only the work to move the pad/sign instead of moving the basket, additional work for tree removal, and cleanup. The only issue this position has right now is some slight crossfire with 14 that isn't any worse than any other 'bad spot' on the course. This could also allow 14 to stay in it's current position and remain a hole that my friends and I all enjoy very much. Take it or leave it, but I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT00 View Post
                    There is already an alternate teepad in a grand location closer to the basket and to the right of the current position (with small log in place for seating). This now becomes a shot requiring more accuracy than power and creates a much tighter fairway that steers clear of the bank. This would be a relatively inexpensive change requiring only the work to move the pad/sign instead of moving the basket, additional work for tree removal, and cleanup. The only issue this position has right now is some slight crossfire with 14 that isn't any worse than any other 'bad spot' on the course. This could also allow 14 to stay in it's current position and remain a hole that my friends and I all enjoy very much. Take it or leave it, but I like it!
                    Where your suggesting sounds pretty much like the old teepad...like what Bob was saying:

Originally posted by Wobbly Bob View Post
                    6. Hole 15's teepad and pin will be adjusted to prevent discs from going over the eroded hillside. An exact setup wasn't laid out, but it will likely be using the old teepad and the pin will probably be moved a little shorter and to the right.
                    and moving the pin closer and to the right will not only make the shot about control, but it will also take care of the safety issue of drives with too much gas flying into 13's fairway.
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

A more watered down version of Downriver? exciting! Way to go SDGA! Dunno what happened to lets redesign our course. The club voted for it. (the actual members) We have a new design that is ALOT better than these changes but I guess we need to remarginalize an already marginalized course just so that we don't change a 10 year old course that used to be pretty good. Guess we can just wait a couple years till Gordy retires and all go pay to play his course...
                      TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Was there a single proposed re-design that was realistically feasible given the restrictions of the park?
                        We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                          Was there a single proposed re-design that was realistically feasible given the restrictions of the park?
                          Yes there is. I wouldn't have said there was if there wasn't, It is a combination of few golfers ideas..
                          TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Please share.

I never saw one that could work, even though there were some fantastic holes.
                            We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                              Please share.
                              I never saw one that could work, even though there were some fantastic holes.
                              I would love to as long as you could assure me that there is actually a point. If the board has made up it's mind then it is pointless for now. I really would love to see Downriver stay a tough, fun and actually increase the flow of the course as well as abide with the cities request to greatly decrease the erosion, especially by the river. Kevin has seen the design and liked it, I think Jeff has too. Eric saw it and didn't want to spend the money to redesign the whole course. I think he is more interested in spending our money to get new courses in. I feel like it is going to be easy to raise money for our new courses because I think there are alot of motivated people in our community ready to bring in more disc golf.
                              TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Hi there.

Is there any way to let a LARGE group of club members/golfers PLAY a layout instead of just talking about it on a forum, in a club meeting, or drawing it up on an aerial photo. At this point, personally, I don't think the ideas and approval of a few golfers is going to be trusted or pleasing to a majority. Christopher took this approach when he came up with a proposal. His layout may not have been pleasing to everyone, or fit the parameters of the parks dept. But just the way he went about it, letting people see it before a vote was a taken, was a great idea. It took a lot of effort. I give him huge kudos for that. Lets see what the ideas of a few golfers are. In my opinion, that could be the best way to go about this dilemma of getting a new layout set in place. It may take some hard work, but it certainly would not be pointless.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X