Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Ok thanks.
    I said whippet, whippet good.

Comment

Is there a timetable for when the changes take effect?

Comment

No real time table but its happening now, basket #6 is out of the ground. I dont know if it will be back in anytime soon? LCO is around the corner and I dont know if we play that hole or not? That poor basket has seen better days Im glad I aced it before it goes away for ever

Comment

More Downriver Course Ideas

I love and hate the idea's of changing Downriver. I love trying to eliminate the criss crossing of holes. Love the idea of flipping 20 and 1. Hate the idea of eliminating 6 as it's one of my favorites. The idea's I've been playing in my head are as follows:

1.) Flip 20 and 1.
          2.) Move the tee-pad and basket of 4 to further up the hill. Perhaps stick the basket down in tree's further up on the trail.
          3.) Keep 6 but play it to the basket of 7 instead.
          4.) Eliminate 7 as it's kind of a weak hole. Or keep the tee pad of 7, eliminate 8 and throw to the basket of 8 for a long par 4 or possibly 5?
          5.) Throw 9 from the Clowns Mouth position and move the basket if possible to a further back position, perhaps back behind the big tree it sits in front of now.
          6.) Throw 11 from it's original position but to basket 6. Perhaps move 6 behind the tree to make it more difficult.
          7.) Eliminate 12 because it crosses 3 and 3 is a superior hole. Or keep 12 and move the pad way up across the dirt road up the hill. Make it a short 200 footer. Downriver should have one easy hole
          8.) Move the tee-pad of 18 back off the trail and back into the trees. This makes a touch tunnel shot, eliminates a lot of lost discs down the bank to the right and stops disc golfer pollution of the river due to climbing down the banks to retrieve errant throws.

This I think would eliminate most of the crossing problems. This also takes care of those people that would be pissed off at losing 6 since it's one of the more popular holes on the course. Keeps it a 20 too but keeps the par in check with what it is in a tournament round. Maybe even takes off a stroke if 7 to 8 became a four and not a 5. Just some things I've been kicking around.

Stu
          "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
          Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Eric whippet Brown View Post
            No real time table but its happening now, basket #6 is out of the ground. I dont know if it will be back in anytime soon? LCO is around the corner and I dont know if we play that hole or not? That poor basket has seen better days Im glad I aced it before it goes away for ever
            Cornbread's putt was just too much of a monster for that basket.

It was actually kinda funny watching him can a nice birdie and then seeing the basket fall over from the force.
            We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

general scales changes?

What are you talking about putting a basket behind a tree? That makes any hole just plain lame. And as far as 18's pad goes putting it in the old position is making it way easier, thats why we have highbridge. The fact of not shanking a shot over the LEFT side of the fairway on 18 is the challenge that even the pro's have a problem with so I think we need to leave that there. I do like the idea of adding a par 4, I just got back from the Beaver State Fling and I have never been happier to get a 4 on a hole. But to make it a par 5 would be to short in my book, Milo McIver has a par 5 but it is an 1100' hole. You mentioned DR needed a easy hole go and throw hole 1 now, that is Cheezy easy. And add in the fact that our long bomber hole 20 is alot easier also, Im thinking with the added changes, double digits under par should be reached by more people now. So now with the chages the course got easier I would say, I wish we could make it harder by adding some distance to some holes. Now its just a lil bit above HB and I dont really like playing there because of how easy it is.
              Last edited by Eric whippet Brown; May 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Now its just a lil bit above HB and I dont really like playing there because of how easy it is.
                I wish I could say that, HB kicks my rear on a regular basis. PB = 58

With DR 12 gone, one way to regain some length on 20 would be moving the basket further back and to the north, say into the area northeast of the big tree across the road from the hole 3 basket. I think that position would actually be longer than the old 20. Or would that put 13's tee in the line of fire too much? (I'm using the old hole numbers for familiarity's sake; I assume they will eventually be renumbered in the new layout).

Comment

I was sitting down on hole 1 today and was listening to alot of people there and they all said about the same thing. The course looks alot easier now that hole 1 and 20 has changed, in fact I put my disc under both baskets with minimal effort tailwind. Hole 20 is about 50' shorter making it a 400' hole and 1 is just a putter toss? Oh well I guess it will have to work it just sucks hole 1 was a fun hole now its a lame duck but aceable. Getting anything moved as in baskets is a joke ask Matt and Troy that spent a day or two digging new pin placements that never even got the time of day, waste of time and energy there but good job guys the thought was there. Maybe in the next couple of years we can get new alt pin locations but I dont think that is going to happen as the course has been established for over 9 years that I know of and it has stayed the same for the most part. Im not trying to rip on anyone here I do like what the SDGA has done for the disc golf community and do understand that we do need the changes for safety and its going to be a take a lil getting used to at least for me.
                  Last edited by Eric whippet Brown; May 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Trash Cans

The trash cans are a really nice addition to the course, lets hope we can keep them around. I forgot how we got the trash cans or who put them in but thanks thats a great improvement to the course. I think C-Re put them in so if so .

Comment

New 1 is definitely a lot easier, I've gotten a 2 both times I've played it so far and I had never birdied the old one. New 20 is shorter, yeah, but I don't think it's any easier, at least for my skill level. There is more junk in the way and the angles seem narrower. Not worse, just different.

+1 on the garbage cans.

Comment

Just got done playing the new 1 and 20 and your totally right. I birdied old one a few times but never had a drop in for a birdie considering my drives always ended up left of the basket for wicked hyzer putts. Yesterday dropped a drive to under the basket. Not fun at all. 20 was a par. Not as long but not terribly easy.

As for not moving 18 back into the trees because the pad on the trail is harder...meh I had troubles with it on the path before but just because I was using the wrong discs. Depending on my mood now I either anhyzer my SS Avenger and it will go right for days or I throw a Venom for a long thumber. Never lost one or even come close to losing one. Watched tons of people do it though

Garbage cans kick ass.
                        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                        Cleveland Brown

Comment

Avery in the house

Hole 1 was aced yesterday by Avery Jenkins and he also birdied 11 and did a sick anhyzer on old hole 21 and put it behind the basket in the trees and made his put.. So he just walks in here and makes the course look like a pitch and putt I get to play with him in the 1st round of the LCO so I cant wait to have him kick my a$$ on my home course, good lessons but expensive unless I can keep up with him for the 2nd and 3rd round's also.

Comment

Trash cans full

The trash cans are a really nice addition to the course, lets hope we can keep them around. I forgot how we got the trash cans or who put them in but thanks thats a great improvement to the course. I think C-Re put them in so if so .
                            I was wondering if the person that has the key to the park could please empty out some of the cans they put out, they are overflowing with garbage and to heavy to carry out. If you dont want to do a weekly dumping which it really needs but hasnt seen since they were put in, I think I could do that but Im not the person in charge of that.

Comment

Need to just run a cheap doubles round out there once every other week and have groups bring the bag from their last hole to where it can be picked up.
                              We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Thats true but I think there is a reason we have a key, the trash cans got down there by use of the key, it was easy to put the empty trash cans on the course so it should be used to empty them as well? But I pack it in and pack it out so I shouldnt have to worry about it, but it summertime and with all the traffic we get it would be nice to have a schedule that matches the city's garbage day down there. Maybe we can have a new position for someone in the club being the Garbage man, can we vote on that? Something needs to be done? I hate even thinking about family's with there kids trying to have fun and seeing heaping cans of garbage on every other hole, not a pretty site.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X