X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went to Twila-Reid in Orange county

Just after Thankgiving my family and I went to Disneyland and while there I thought I would get a round in at a wonderful sunny local DG park. The closest one is Twila-Reid park. It sucked bad. Imagine rockwood with picnic tables 10 feet from most of the holes and people everywhere woh are completely oblivious to the fact that golfers are throwing discs. On more than one occasion kids picked up my discs like they had never seen them. One of my throws was just GONE. I couldn't find my disc anywhere and it is open short grass .. no way to lose the disc .. so I walked over to the playground equipment and looked around to find the kid who stole my disc. It turns out some grandma picked it up and stuck it in her purse. I saw the edge sticking out. I asked her for it back and she didn't even say anything so I had to reach in and take it LOL. She never even moved, she just looked at me with an odd glance and that was it.

The holes were not clearly marked and I think basket 1 was just missing altogether. It was all basically straight open shots, so no diversity. The good news is that while it was 40 degrees and raining here I was in CA where it was 75-85 degrees and sunny!

Tower of Terror FTW!!

OJ went and retrieved his stolen property from gangsters and went to jail. YOU accosted a GRANDMOTHER?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
      OJ went and retrieved his stolen property from gangsters and went to jail. YOU accosted a GRANDMOTHER?

Bob

I didn't use a gun and 2 thugs

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
        I didn't use a gun and 2 thugs
        No, you used an intimidating, young, male thug figure. Did you at least give her a lottery ticket for finding your disc?

Bob

Comment

yeah, and I thanked her for finding my disc about 10 feet from the basket and walking off with it.

Edit: And actually I have photos of the throw she picked up .. the reason she got it is because we were doing some action shots and so it took us a few minutes to make it to the hole.

Comment

Just after Thankgiving my family and I went to Disneyland and while there I thought I would get a round in at a wonderful sunny local DG park. The closest one is Twila-Reid park. It sucked bad. Imagine rockwood with picnic tables 10 feet from most of the holes and people everywhere woh are completely oblivious to the fact that golfers are throwing discs. On more than one occasion kids picked up my discs like they had never seen them. One of my throws was just GONE. I couldn't find my disc anywhere and it is open short grass .. no way to lose the disc .. so I walked over to the playground equipment and looked around to find the kid who stole my disc. It turns out some grandma picked it up and stuck it in her purse. I saw the edge sticking out. I asked her for it back and she didn't even say anything so I had to reach in and take it LOL. She never even moved, she just looked at me with an odd glance and that was it.

The holes were not clearly marked and I think basket 1 was just missing altogether. It was all basically straight open shots, so no diversity. The good news is that while it was 40 degrees and raining here I was in CA where it was 75-85 degrees and sunny!

Tower of Terror FTW!!

There are MULTIPLE 9 hole courses spead thruout the LA basin that are very similar to that one. Most have been in the ground for nearly 30 yrs and were some of the earliest EVER installed.

They actually used that course for a Junior Worlds 15 yrs ago or so.
            You should have gone to La Mirada..Its only 10mins away..

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
              You should have gone to La Mirada..Its only 10mins away..

I need directions to La Mirada and a hook-up with a name of someone who can show me around down there one Friday morning/afternoon coming up. Thoughts, Mike?
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Tower of Terror FTW!!

Is that the one with streetlights around the park so you can play at night?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Is that the one with streetlights around the park so you can play at night?
                  That is Rockwood.....if you dare after dark
                  "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Actually... looks like it might be Sylmar/Ventura day one (could be a weekly in Ventura that Friday...). Maybe Chavez Ravine or Oak Grove on day two.
                    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

I need directions to La Mirada and a hook-up with a name of someone who can show me around down there one Friday morning/afternoon coming up. Thoughts, Mike?
                      I-5 ... exit Rosecrans Ave EAST .. a few miles to LEFT on ADELFA DR (1st light past La Mirada Blvd) Go thru neighborhood across Alcante Rd to parking lot on Left.
                      Mike Williams will be in the PRO SHOP by the Tennis Courts.
                      He will be able to hook you up with a local thats hanging around......

Google Earth it - La Mirada Community Regional Park, La Mirada, Ca

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        Actually... looks like it might be Sylmar/Ventura day one (could be a weekly in Ventura that Friday...). Maybe Chavez Ravine or Oak Grove on day two.
                        Sylmar.... 1st DiscGolf course I ever played.
                        NOW a Rico Family re-design and some of the SWEETEST tee pads you will EVER find anywhere. Thats what comes with owning a Concrete business.

Pay to Play but NOT much $2-$3 max per day.....

OH and DUGGER FAN...Its Chavez RIDGE where Disc Golf is played.
                        Some LAME Team in Blue attempts to play Baseball in Chavez RAVINE.

Comment

Sorry... Chavez Ridge. I didn't think that they were gonna let me throw from home plate to see if I could reach a bullpen...
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Chavez Ridge DGC at Elysian
                            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                              Sylmar.... 1st DiscGolf course I ever played.
                              NOW a Rico Family re-design and some of the SWEETEST tee pads you will EVER find anywhere. Thats what comes with owning a Concrete business.

Pay to Play but NOT much $2-$3 max per day.....

OH and DUGGER FAN...Its Chavez RIDGE where Disc Golf is played.
                              Some LAME Team in Blue attempts to play Baseball in Chavez RAVINE.

I only played Sylmar once and that was before I was as serious about DG as I am now...I'm thinking it was 2003-2004? I don't think it was pay to play then (at least I don't recall paying anything) and I wasn't that impressed with it from what I remember, has it changed since then? One of my friends moved down there briefly and said it was a cool course though, so I'd like to see it again.

The Ventura course is sweet though (actually Ojai), and it's pay to play, but well worth it. My favorite course in So-Cal. I don't know where you're staying in LA, but depending on your location, it's not exactly a quick drive to get there. I'd definitely recommend going, but it might not be feasible to squeeze in two courses in one day.
                              Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X