Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bethany Lake Park? (Beaverton/Hillsboro)

I heard a rumor that that was a disc golf course at Bethany Lake Park near 185th and West Union but I am very hesitant to believe it. They were not into disc golf so I said "you mean the metal baskets with chains?" and they said "yes I know what disc golf is" so who knows. This random person said it was down near the west end of the park if you start from the parking lot on 185th and west union. Has anyone heard about this? My buddy lives nearby and knows nothing about it. I might have to hike out there just to see but Im not very hopeful.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
    If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up. - Hunter S. Thompson

I drive by it every day and don't know anything about it. You can't see any baskets from the road.

Comment

Bethany Lake Park Baskets

I live off Rock Creek Blvd. and went up to the park this morning. I walked all the way up to the Rock Creek Country Club and south to the trails end. No baskets anywhere.

Comment

yeah I like like a minute away and haven't seen anything from the road. It is almost too wide open for a course

Comment

Walked it this afternoon. No baskets. No real place to put them (except for a wide open field).

Comment

Living in the area I can confirm that there is no disc golf course in the area. Itís a big park but between the communal gardens and pond, private golf course and the power line park there is no room to put one in.

I have been thinking for a while that the area on the other side of West Union (Emerald Estate Park, Bethany Meadows Park, Ben Graf Park and Springville Meadows Park) would make a great area for a course. The park is not overflowing with joggers or walkers. It has some very nice elevation with a nice mix of open fairways, trees and a creek with bushes. There is plenty of room for 9 or even 18 hole course with some long fairways. The only downside is there is not a lot of parking areas. With very little work the area could be another nice course for the west side of Portland. There is a need for something a little more challenging than Orchard and Greenway and it would relieve some of the current crowding at those two courses. THPRD has been putting a lot of money in the parks in this part of town and it would be nice addition, especially if they could link it up with the PCC athletic complex.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.56...z=15&t=h&hl=en

Comment

The major issue I see here is that the park is similar to Greenway, in that it is a linear corridor the entire way. No way you could have fairways going both ways there.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherag View Post
                Living in the area I can confirm that there is no disc golf course in the area. Itís a big park but between the communal gardens and pond, private golf course and the power line park there is no room to put one in.

I have been thinking for a while that the area on the other side of West Union (Emerald Estate Park, Bethany Meadows Park, Ben Graf Park and Springville Meadows Park) would make a great area for a course. The park is not overflowing with joggers or walkers. It has some very nice elevation with a nice mix of open fairways, trees and a creek with bushes. There is plenty of room for 9 or even 18 hole course with some long fairways. The only downside is there is not a lot of parking areas. With very little work the area could be another nice course for the west side of Portland. There is a need for something a little more challenging than Orchard and Greenway and it would relieve some of the current crowding at those two courses. THPRD has been putting a lot of money in the parks in this part of town and it would be nice addition, especially if they could link it up with the PCC athletic complex.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.56...z=15&t=h&hl=en
                That place is LITERALLY in my backyard!
                I have thrown there for fun up and down the black path but sadly no baskets (yet)

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonH View Post
                  The major issue I see here is that the park is similar to Greenway, in that it is a linear corridor the entire way. No way you could have fairways going both ways there.
                  The park is 4 to 5 times as wide as Greenway. There would be plenty of room for fairways going in both directions.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherag View Post
                    The park is 4 to 5 times as wide as Greenway. There would be plenty of room for fairways going in both directions.
                    Not really. You have a heavily used path on one side and houses on the other. The lake is fished heavily, and people fishing would have their backs to the course.

And the park isn't all that long, either. The golf course is just on the other side of the bridge.

Not to mention the park is pretty boring for disc golf. It's just a big field.

Not a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      Not really. You have a heavily used path on one side and houses on the other. The lake is fished heavily, and people fishing would have their backs to the course.

And the park isn't all that long, either. The golf course is just on the other side of the bridge.

Not to mention the park is pretty boring for disc golf. It's just a big field.

Not a good fit.
                      You are describing Bethany Lake Park, which I totally agree and mentioned in my post. Its too small and has too many other things going on. The area I am talking about is 4 parks (Emerald Estate Park, Bethany Meadows Park, Ben Graf Park and Springville Meadows Park) that are on the other side of NW West Union.

Comment

the area that is roughly south of springville road, north of laidlaw, east of 185th and west of kaiser...

There is the long black path that gets used heavily and the pirate park play ground, but still plenty of room away from the path to make a "down and back" course similar to orchard park.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't read your post in its entirety.

I know the parks that you speak of. In fact, I run through there all the time. These parks get used a lot more than you think. Especially in the summer, those paths are packed. There are also a lot of natural areas in these parks that couldn't be touched.

If you backed the holes away from the paths, you would be pretty close to the houses.

As much as I would love to have another course in the area, especially one within walking distance to my house, I don't see this as a good fit either.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X