X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• courses in coastal NorCal?

Next week I'll be on a short road trip from San Francisco up the coast, ending in Medford, OR. We'll be on the road for the better part of 3 days, so I figure that's plenty of time to work in a round or two...

What courses near US-101 would you recommend?
    anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

Originally posted by killa View Post
    Next week I'll be on a short road trip from San Francisco up the coast, ending in Medford, OR. We'll be on the road for the better part of 3 days, so I figure that's plenty of time to work in a round or two...

2 or 3 Monterrey courses worth checking out.

Comment

That's the opposite direction, though. Only one I've played in Nor-Cal was the one at Humboldt State in Arcata. I unfortunately didn't get to play the whole thing because I was with a bunch of noobs and they got bored when we got lost. So make sure you take a map or hook up with a local. It's tone poles and baskets, all through redwoods, so very cool surroundings. The tee Hole #2 is worth the stop alone.
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

The Red Curtain is the course at Humboldt State. Hole two, you drive off a giant redwood stump! The Curtain really is a great course. This weekend they are having the Heave at Ammon Ranch. The Heave is one of my favorite tournaments to attend, its an hour east of Arcata. Ammon Ranch is listed as one of Feldberg's top five courses. I would definitely be down there if I didn't have Phish festival tickets.

Comment

Use the map at DGCourseReview.com to find courses on your way. Off the top of my head, here are some places worth checking out:

- Novato, CA: Stafford Lake (18) is one of the best California courses. Epic distance and scenery, and one of the best "Top of the World" holes anywhere.

- Ukiah, CA: Low Gap Park (18) & Lake Mendocino (27) are both supposed to be very good.

- Eureka, CA: Cooper Gulch (9) is short and wooded.

- Arcata, CA: Redwood Curtain at HSU (18) is the most famous course in the Redwood Empire, but supposedly is a bit rough and has mostly tone poles (I haven't played it myself). Bring a map or play with locals. Mad River Pump Station #4 (9) isn't spectacular, but is a fun half-hour of disc golf.

- Crescent City, CA: I don't know what the current status of Beachfront Park (24?) is. They're slowly adding baskets, but the local club's Web site is never updated.

- Selma, OR: Lake Selmac (18) is an easy detour off U.S. 199 on your way inland from the coast and definitely worth a stop and a $2 parking pass.

- Grants Pass, OR: Tom Pearce Park (18) is definitely worth a stop (also $2, but I think you can use the same pass as at Selmac).
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
            - Crescent City, CA: I don't know what the current status of Beachfront Park (24?) is. They're slowly adding baskets, but the local club's Web site is never updated.

I do believe the 24 baskets have been put in the ground at Beachfront. If you have any questions about the course post them on www.discgolforegon.com There is a few people from the area who frequent the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaqcb View Post
              I do believe the 24 baskets have been put in the ground at Beachfront. If you have any questions about the course post them on www.discgolforegon.com There is a few people from the area who frequent the site.
              Ask those DGO people to post on this forum when they've got news about courses! Seems like a lot happens south of Eugene that we've no clue about up here.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post

In the order you would get to them...

Stafford Lake is a MUST.....

Ukiah Low Gap is an OLD course but fun.....

KOA Campground in Willits is also fun..starts REAL easy then gets more challenging as it goes on.

The Redwood Curtain at Humboldt St. is like NO OTHER course you will ever play...have you ever tee'd off of a Old Growth Redwood stump?

Comment

My Fav. hole at Humbot was #12? Elevated tee pad shooting directly over a pond, green sloping toward the water! Very cool hole. #2 brings new meaning to "Stumptown"!

Coos bay has a fun little woodsy course. It reminded me of a smaller NAD.
                  A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Hey Killa!
                    Welcome to my stomping grounds!
                    Do NOT miss playing Stafford Lake in Novato
                    Awesome holes with much elevation change including a couple of nice top of the world type shots

Redwood curtain is certainly also a must play. More board feet of lumber than any other course in the world. My former home course it is a mix of tone poles and baskets.
                    Don't bother with the pump station course. I liken it to Juel park here - a local party course with few challenges.
                    Instead, you should travel about 5 minutes east to Fieldbrook. There is a spectacular 'private' 27 hole course there. All are welcome. PM me for directions. I am sure I could also hook you up with local icon Skwid Larvae. If he is available he would be more than happy to be your course guide (highly recommended)
                    Last edited by The Ombudsman; October 24th, 2009, 02:36 PM.
                    "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

and do not miss Tom Pierce Park in Grant's Pass OR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                        My Fav. hole at Humbot was #12? Elevated tee pad shooting directly over a pond, green sloping toward the water! Very cool hole. #2 brings new meaning to "Stumptown"!
                        The target on #12 used to be the redwood tree by the lower pin placement back in the days before baskets. I have aced that hole dozens of times...

Back then it was hole 3. In those days half of the holes went right through the middle of campus!
                        As the sport's popularity grew and plastic became heavier and more lethal, we moved the holes off campus and completely into the woods. I will never forget the first time we threw off of that stump!!!!

Last edited by The Ombudsman; October 23rd, 2009, 06:57 AM.

Comment

If you enjoy a cold brew with your disc golf then you should check out the Anderson Valley Brewing course in Boonville. It's not exactly a "world class" course but it is a very unique experience! Check out the reviews of it on Disc Golf Course Review for more info.
                          If I was taking that trip I'd want to play Tom Pierce, Humboldt, Anderson Valley, Stafford Lake, and Golden Gate.

Comment

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. As I said we'll be on the road for three days, but my travelling companions (parents) aren't much for outdoor-adventure types, so out of respect for them I'll limit myself to 2 courses: definitely Stafford Lake (can't wait!), and probably the Red Curtain... I say probably, because if the 'Budsman can get me in touch with his old buddy, I'll go wherever a golfer named Skwid Larvae wants to lead me.

I'm almost certain I wouldn't have picked Stafford Lake out of the many options, had a couple people not insisted on its majesty, which is supported by DGCR, so again thanks. I might have ended up at the Golden Gate course, but it doesn't seem like as much of a destination... I think we'll probably be stopping at the Park anyway, so I'll just casually say, "Oh look, a disc golf basket -- there must be a course right here in this park!" and impress them with both my restraint and the ubiquity of our sport.
                            anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

Comment

I've heard the Golden Gate Park course is pretty damn good... but often crowded.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X