X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use spotters!

Played Keizer Rapids for the first time today; "rough" does not begin to describe a couple of the holes! It's definitely playable, but there are a number of places where you'll definitely want to have a spotter, even on your approach shots. And not just "hey, keep an eye on my disc," but rather "hey, walk up about 200 feet and watch my disc all the way to the ground." We spent over an hour today searching for two discs, both on hole #9. One of them turned out to be in relatively open ground -- just not where we thought it had ricocheted to -- but the other was BURIED under a dead log and fern leaves.

Anyway, be very careful on all the wooded holes, but especially #7 through #10; and #9 and #10 are the worst, because of all the sword ferns. Also blackberries, elderberries, and tons of deadfall that can make walking treacherous.

And did I mention the poison oak? Holy cow.

Once it gets trampled down a little, this will be a great course; the variety of holes is excellent. But if you're hypersensitive to urushiol or don't like filling your socks with burs and various other seeds, you might want to wait a little while!
    Oregon disc golf map

I may be missing something, but which course are your describing?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
    Played the course for the first time today; "rough" does not begin to describe a couple of the holes! It's definitely playable, but there are a number of places where you'll definitely want to have a spotter, even on your approach shots. And not just "hey, keep an eye on my disc," but rather "hey, walk up about 200 feet and watch my disc all the way to the ground." We spent over an hour today searching for two discs, both on hole #9. One of them turned out to be in relatively open ground -- just not where we thought it had ricocheted to -- but the other was BURIED under a dead log and fern leaves.

Anyway, be very careful on all the wooded holes, but especially #7 through #10; and #9 and #10 are the worst, because of all the sword ferns. Also blackberries, elderberries, and tons of deadfall that can make walking treacherous.

And did I mention the poison oak? Holy cow.

Once it gets trampled down a little, this will be a great course; the variety of holes is excellent. But if you're hypersensitive to urushiol or don't like filling your socks with burs and various other seeds, you might want to wait a little while!

Comment

This is in the "Keizer Rapids" sub-forum.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Hey! It not that bad.

The course forces you to give up your wild ways and play conservative. Every drives makes you think of the 10 bucks you might lose if you throw it like a wild man.

I play the course alone all the time and I did lose a disc yesterday. Red DX Sidewinder on the right side at the end of #11 fairway. It's in the bushes somewhere.

Feel free to pick up sticks and throw them to the sides of the fairway while your looking for that disc you just threw. One of these days we will get a chipper out there.

Comment

What I found frustrating was that on holes like #9, it doesn't matter whether you throw conservatively or not; even perfect throws could get eaten by that fern duff or smeared with poison oak oil.

I think the layout is great, I really do; I just think people should realize that it's still a work in progress. Not everyone wants a game of disc golf to be a Tecnu-soaked wilderness adventure.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I got my red Sidewinder back today.

Thanks Jordan!!

Jordan and his pals were out playing this morning and found 4 discs with names and numbers on them. He called everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector_2008 View Post
              Jordan and his pals were out playing this morning and found 4 discs
              I rest my case.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I didn't realize my friend had taken at least one picture while I was beating the blackberries apart, looking for my over-thrown approach shot on #9:

Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Wow. It looks like you could be parked under the basket and not find your disc.

Comment

yes i believe on hole six we had that same problem, three minute rule was not in affect

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X