Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Dakota, anyone been there?

http://www.campdakota.com/

Located in the Cascade foothills 35 miles east of Salem at...

1843 Crooked Finger Road,
    Scotts Mills, Oregon 97375

Phone - 503-873-7432

Camp Dakota's disc golf course

Camp Dakota's disc (or frisbee) golf course is now ready for play. We currently have 18 holes with natural tee surfaces, tone-tube targets and new signage. Work is ongoing to improve the fairways and we are saving up for traditional basket targets. The course is free to play for all guest staying at Camp Dakota and cost for use by non-campers is $3 per day. You may play only during daylight hours and all non-camping guests should pay the $3 fee prior to play. Please check in at the office to get a parking pass when you arrive.

Course description....

This course is heavily forested with lots of elevation changes and dog legs. Experienced players will find the course challenging with plenty of obstacles and technical shots. Beginning players may want to bring an extra disc or two. Many of the fairways are surrounded by dense brush and other vegetation, but there is NO poison oak, stinging nettles, or blackberry thickets. The narrow fairways and blind shots offset the short 225' average hole length.

Bob

We've got a sub-forum here for Camp Dakota, but I don't know anything about it beyond what's on their Web page.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Camp Dakota is a good time! I stayed in one of their yurts last time I went. I'm not hardcore enough to attempt a stay in a tee pee, but if you do, let me know how it was? What's really cool about Dakota is the rad little man on the quad, you ring the bell at the little store thing, and this guy shows up on his quad to make you a 5 shot Mocha. Not free, but, in the middle of nowhere, espresso is valuable! Cool snack machines and pop, and a great little store with discs. The guy even takes firewood to the yurt. Again, not free, but cheap, and twice as dry as the crap they wanna sell at Champoeg and the like.
      The Course is lots of fun. I didn't lose anything, but I'm sure it's possible. Alot of blind shots, but, I found if I just went for it, there were lots of opportunities for birdies. The thing that scared me was the Ants. And the Anthills. Not the place you want to leave your 5 year old unattended. During the summer, the Ants are out in full force. Funny, I wore flip flops and did not get one bite, not even a tickle, the ants don't seem to be aggressive at all, even with a crashed flying saucer in their anthill.
      I definitely prefer baskets to "Tone Poles" (PVC doesn't exactly make a "Tone") and Camp Dakota is a pole course. We were laughing every time our drive left our sight and hit a tree "That was an Ace!" Don't expect any aces, the only pole you can see from the "Pad" is Hole 10, over the tiny pond.
      The course is fun. The hospitality is superb! The people are very nice! I especially liked their portable saw mill, and how they milled all the wood to build bunkbeds and yurts and fun stuff.
      Should you get tired of Disc Golf, there are like 10 different Waterfalls in the area, and the people at Dakota will direct you there.
      Camp Dakota is in Scotts Mills. The grocery store in the town of Scotts Mills has midget employees. I make a point of visiting the Scotts Mills Midgets every time I go up there.
      I sorta doubt that Dakota will ever have baskets, but I hope they will!

(These Pix are clickable thumbnails, click on them to see more Dakota Pix)
      Last edited by Kris Hagner; July 17th, 2009, 04:11 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Hahaha!!! Kris, you crack me up!!!

I've always wanted to camp out in the teepee. Might have to make the trip down there sometime soon.

Comment

I've been there and played the course a few times. If your going out there to stay the night then it's completely worth the trip. It's short but they use huge hooks and turns to make ace runs almost impossible and the elevation changes help it bit too.

For me,however, it's not a course I'm going out of my way to play. It takes an hour and half or a little more to get there...from Albany...and then they ask for $3 to play it. I don't really think it's bang is worth my bucks.

AGAIN....It's a beautiful place to go CAMPING. On top of that they offer some really fun stuff to do while your there. And kick yourself if you don't go and see the waterfalls just a short drive from there, too!

Comment

NEW BASKETS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED AS OF AUGUST 12, 2010 CHECK IT OUT! http://www.campdakota.com/disc_golf_course

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X