X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new winter layout

For those that have not heard, Portland Parks and Rec has been planning to modify the layout at Pier Park for the wettest winter months.

Once complete, holes 3,4, 5 and 18 will have been pulled, and 4 new holes will be installed (teepads and baskets). The other 14 holes will likely stay just how they are but their numbers will change.

So far baskets 3,4 and 5? have been pulled.

On Feb 4th there will be a work party to install teepads and baskets for this winter layout. At last talk the plan was to install the 4 new teepads using the brick like design that is in place at Stub Stewart. MORE INFO REGARDING THE WORK PARTY TO FOLLOW IN THE WORK PARTY THREAD.

5 was still in place yesterday...
    and theres a large pond forming in the left fairway between 7&8
    beware!

Comment

Where will they be movign those 4 holes?
      Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by mowens404 View Post
        Where will they be movign those 4 holes?
        Come out to the work party on Saturday and I'll show you personally

Bahahaha
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
          Come out to the work party on Saturday and I'll show you personally

Bahahaha

That's the same answer Cindy gave me. I will try to make it.
          Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

Where are the new holes?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Where are the new holes?

Comment

Wow, that was more than I expected. Nice job, Kel.

And thanks to all that were able to get out there and make it happen.

Comment

I got a chance to play the new layout on Sunday. It was totally accidental as I didn’t know about the proposed changes. Some feedback and views
                  1) I don’t know if it was to the new layout, first nice day in a while or backup due to the work party but the course was busier than I have ever seen it. We were the 7th group at hole one. At every other hole had to wait for 1 to 2 groups to clear. Some of this may have been due to people getting lost on the new path
                  2) Signage is good for the new layout directing you to the new pads but it is all with temporary signs. With the winds we had this week I would expect most of these to be gone. There will be a lot of confusion on the new 3-4-5-6 holes as well as 18. Take a map to help out
                  3) The new tee pads are the same as used at Stub Stuart. They are nice and gripy but just like stub they are small. I would have liked to see larger boxes put in.
                  4) Hole review
                  a. The new hole 3 is basically the old 18 played up hill. It’s a nice hole and a good challenge as you work through the trees to hit the open fairway. Going uphill also adds to shortening the drives a bit. Most should get par but it’s going to be difficult to get a birdie on the hole.
                  b. Hole 4 is nothing special. It goes from the road, over the summer 18 tee and up to the pad for 5/17. A little left fade at the end but nothing special here.
                  c. Hole 5 is the summer 17. Everything is the same
                  d. Hole 6 is by far my favorite new hole. The basket is the same as the summer hole 5 but now you are shooting over the canyon to the basket. Lots of trees but some clear flight paths and a really nice layout. Honestly I wish this was the regular layout for 5 as it’s by far a better hole.
                  e. All the holes from 7 to 17 are the same accept being off by 1 of their summer numbers (summer 6 is winter 7)
                  f. Hole 18 is a top of the world shot near the basket for 6/7. This has a lot of potential but right now the flight paths are very closed out. It felt more like hucking and hoping you didn’t hit a tree than trying to thread it down an open lane. With some clearing this could be a great final hole. Very short though.

Comment

Hole 6 is a new pin position as well. Though it is close to the shorter right summer pin...it is vastly different...it is right at the crest of the fairway elevation; and that now a miss could roll down to the original Tpad....
                    educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                      Hole 6 is a new pin position as well. Though it is close to the shorter right summer pin...it is vastly different...it is right at the crest of the fairway elevation; and that now a miss could roll down to the original Tpad....

The new 6 is my favorite of the changes. It is a great hole and I definitely wish it was in play year round.
                      "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

cant wait to try it!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X