Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nine more holes at Pier?

Originally posted by Discdogs View Post
    Bridge construction begins in june going over the railroad tracks and providing nine more holes!!
    We've often speculated about this possibility, but it's amazing that it's been approved and it went completely under our radar!

Off to Google...
    Oregon disc golf map

I just found something in a PDF at metro.gov:
    A critical section of the greenway trail corridor in North Portland is being submitted as a 2009 Metro Active Demonstration Transportation Project. The proposed trail section for this grant begins at Willamette Cove and runs to Smith & Bybee Wetlands Natural Area. The North Portland Greenway is on the 2035 (RTP) Financially Constrained list as Project Number 10355. The combined elements of this four mile multiple use mobility corridor segment embrace and reflect all Metro’s principles of Urban to Nature trail routes.

The proposed trail alignment takes riders and walkers north along the river from Willamette Cove natural area offering delightful peek a boo water vistas. The trail parallels the active UPRR railroad line, crosses Lampros Steel property and the BES water lab before entering Cathedral Park. The trail segment then travels the Baltimore Woods corridor and turns east along industrial property before it crosses Lombard St. into Pier Park. A new bridge over the UPRR (Union Pacific Railroad) connects Pier with Chimney Park. Finally, the trail safely crosses Columbia Blvd into the Smith and Bybee Wetland Natural Area. The trail section proposed for this grant will terminate at the Columbia Slough. Eventually, a bridge will connect the greenway trail to the Marine Drive and Peninsula Crossing trails – key components of the region’s remarkable 40 mile loop trail system.

From the City of Portland's Web site:
    The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) has awarded almost $1.5 million to Metro for the final design and construction of a bicycle and pedestrian bridge that will connect Pier Park to Chimney Park in North Portland. A critical component of the Willamette River Greenway Trail (North Reach) and 40-mile Loop Trail, the bridge will provide a safe, non-motorized connection for North Portland neighbors to Chimney Park. Portland Parks & Recreation will contribute funding for the project and maintain the bridge after it is completed.

And from the Friends of Pier Park's Facebook page, a posting from June 2009:
    The news that a bridge connecting Pier and Chimney parks is a "go" creates an opportunity to address this issue. Specifically, using the hillside and outlying areas of Chimney park for additional disc golf holes (which also allows for the removal of holes - particularly holes 1 and 2 from high multiple-use areas) seems to be widely supported. The plan discussed also proposes expanding the dog park area and utilizing the now-empty old archive/records building for vending, etc. There are sources of private funding for new disc golf baskets in the Chimney area expansion plan and heads are nodding over at PP&R.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Is the nine new holes net or gross?

Seems we're going to lose at least 2 (better get my lefty ace on 2 QUICK!)

Will there be 11 additional or are we going to have the unique arrangement of a 25 hole layout?

Comment

I don't know. I'm not sure if those questions have even been resolved yet. The only thing for sure is that they're putting in that $1.5M bridge this year.

I can sure understand them wanting to take out #1 and #2 though.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

They're fine in the winter, but IMHO Pier is only playable in the winter and early mornings in the other seasons...I won't miss them that much...

Comment

so is the course going to be connected to the dog park/part of the dog park..........cuz i dont like the possibility of walking through a minefield....lol

Comment

Chimney Park is 16 acres. There's plenty of room for dogs AND disc golf.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I am excited about this possibility. Now we won't have to drive around to get to the dog park, we can just walk through from home. It might be weird taking 1 and 2 out. That start is a great place to meet up with partners and get right on to the tee from your car.
                Disc golf ruined my life.

Comment

Originally posted by mrDROCK View Post
                  I am excited about this possibility. Now we won't have to drive around to get to the dog park, we can just walk through from home. It might be weird taking 1 and 2 out. That start is a great place to meet up with partners and get right on to the tee from your car.
                  I can see taking out #1 but couldn't you just move #2 to the top of the slope on the right of the tree line, maybe a little shorter but the trees would add technicality. Maybe make 10 holes on the new site. 2 shorter, technical holes. For some reason, making Pier other than an 18 or 27 hole course bothers me. Others like Champoeg, I'm fine with.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscnRN View Post
                    I can see taking out #1 but couldn't you just move #2 to the top of the slope on the right of the tree line, maybe a little shorter but the trees would add technicality.
                    Maybe involving the trees would work... as long as errant throws can't end up in the softball outfield.

Originally posted by DiscnRN View Post
                    Maybe make 10 holes on the new site. 2 shorter, technical holes. For some reason, making Pier other than an 18 or 27 hole course bothers me. Others like Champoeg, I'm fine with.
                    I'd take 25 over 18 any day. I'd also take 25 over 24, and 24 over 23, and 23 over 22, and...

Why this obsession with multiples of 9 and/or 3?
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Personally I have a thing for prime numbers.

I'm going to be bummed when I'm not 41 any more...

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                      Maybe involving the trees would work... as long as errant throws can't end up in the softball outfield.

I'd take 25 over 18 any day. I'd also take 25 over 24, and 24 over 23, and 23 over 22, and...

Why this obsession with multiples of 9 and/or 3?

Comment

more holes

update as far as i know there is NO immediate plan to move holes one and two.thats a grassroots effort by a neighbor i believe...There is a kiosk with a disc map course and a very expensive "theft proof" donation box going in on the parking circle directly across from hole one.Next adventure is spending a fair amount of cash to put this in......so i dont think they would change the holes after putting the sign and donation box in.My understanding is that there will be additional parking and 9 more holes and u can choose to start at either place!!
                        sigpichttp://www.facebook.com/pages/Disc-G...k/115726924682

Comment

Originally posted by Discdogs View Post
                          My understanding is that there will be additional parking and 9 more holes and u can choose to start at either place!!
                          Great another cluster f*** like Milo.

Comment

I think it could be okay as long as the new holes are #19 through #27. The problem at McIver is that the flow of the 2 new courses does not match the old one. You end up with 27-hole players jumping into the middle of the east 18.

Of course, with the new setup I can imagine playing Chimney Park and then crossing the bridge and jumping onto the existing #3. #1 and #2 would be way outside of the flow.
                            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                              Of course, with the new setup I can imagine playing Chimney Park and then crossing the bridge and jumping onto the existing #3. #1 and #2 would be way outside of the flow.
                              You can number the signs anyway you like and some will still go their own way...
                              Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                              Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                              Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                              Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                              Or does here stand the last remaining man
                              To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                              No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                              Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                              Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X