X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Smoking

Smoking ban goes into effect in all Hillsboro parks.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/65133682.html

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Smoking ban goes into effect in all Hillsboro parks.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/65133682.html
    Wow. What a completely idiotic law. I don't even smoke and I think this is completely absurd.
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Cigarette smoke bugs me from 200 feet away. Yay, Hillsboro.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I'm not a fan of cigarette smoke myself, but I think that this is a bit ridiculous. They're trying to pass similar laws in Tacoma. Banning smoking indoors, sure, I can go with that. Banning it within 25 feet of an entrance...ehhh, pushing it, but I can see the logic. Banning people from smoking outdoors though? Gimme a break.
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

As a non-smoker, I'm happy. but from a civil liberties standpoint it does seem that the city of Hillsboro has gone a little far.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            As a non-smoker, I'm happy. but from a civil liberties standpoint it does seem that the city of Hillsboro has gone a little far.
            Scott, how has the city gone to far? You can't throw out a term like 'civil liberties' and not provide more information....unless you work at Fox News.

Comment

I'm siding with the "too far" crowd on this one. If it's the litter that's bringing this on, ban litter.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
                Scott, how has the city gone to far? You can't throw out a term like 'civil liberties' and not provide more information....unless you work at Fox News.
                I can't give you a clear answer.

I'll start by saying that I am not an expert on civil liberties. Perhaps I didn't choose the correct wording.

But reading this story just gives me a gut feeling that the city is going to far. Kind of like saying, "We're not saying you can't smoke, we're just not going to give you a place to do it".

Don't get me wrong. As a non-smoker and a patron of Orchard park I am actually quite happy about this. But I can certainly see why those who smoke may be upset.

And finally, what's the point of enacting a law but saying that you don't really intend to enforce it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  I'm not a fan of cigarette smoke myself, but I think that this is a bit ridiculous. They're trying to pass similar laws in Tacoma. Banning smoking indoors, sure, I can go with that. Banning it within 25 feet of an entrance...ehhh, pushing it, but I can see the logic. Banning people from smoking outdoors though? Gimme a break.
                  I remember them doing thi sin Puyallup parks when I lived there in '02 or '03. I think it's a bit overboard too, and I don't even smoke anymore.
                  Huh...I didn't even see that tree.
                  PDGA #37890
                  Stumptown #157
                  ODW TDG 10-11
                  3C&D TDG 09-10

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X