X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback needed

I'm willing to meet as many golfers as possible to discuss the future changes to the course at Orchard Park. Don't like the recent changes? Now is your chance to be heard. I can be at the park most evenings & possibly Saturday. Let me know if you're interested and we'll find a time that works.

Feedback

After playing the new setup all winter here are my suggestions. Hole#1: ok. Hole#2: I really like the island green idea. Use some bricks or blocks set into the ground so the parks crew can mow over them. Hole#3: Don't pull the other pin placement, use it. It would make the hole a turnover shot like the old hole 8 and 9.Hole#4: ok. Hole#5: ok. Hole#6: The basket is in the old hole #5 position. Leave it. The new anchor is too short.You could also put a longer anchor where the old 6th teepad was to put more length back into the course. Hole#7: Take the basket back and to the right. Where the path leads to old hole#7 teepad. Doing this would make the hole even more of a turnover shot and put length back into the course.Hole#9: Put an longer anchor where the old #9 teepad was to put length back into the course. Now for the million dollar question, where is hole #8 going? Thank You Scott and Garry. It may not seem like it but your hard work is appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by discdog View Post
      After playing the new setup all winter here are my suggestions. Hole#1: ok. Hole#2: I really like the island green idea. Use some bricks or blocks set into the ground so the parks crew can mow over them. Hole#3: Don't pull the other pin placement, use it. It would make the hole a turnover shot like the old hole 8 and 9.Hole#4: ok. Hole#5: ok. Hole#6: The basket is in the old hole #5 position. Leave it. The new anchor is too short.You could also put a longer anchor where the old 6th teepad was to put more length back into the course. Hole#7: Take the basket back and to the right. Where the path leads to old hole#7 teepad. Doing this would make the hole even more of a turnover shot and put length back into the course.Hole#9: Put an longer anchor where the old #9 teepad was to put length back into the course. Now for the million dollar question, where is hole #8 going? Thank You Scott and Garry. It may not seem like it but your hard work is appreciated!
      Awesome feedback. A lot of this stuff we've already looked at. I'll note what we've discussed hole by hole.

Hole#2: I really like the island green idea. Use some bricks or blocks set into the ground so the parks crew can mow over them.
      Unfortunately, the island green is on hold for a while. We had initial approval, but apparently some folks higher up in the parks department aren't sold on the idea. Don't give up hope - we've got some long term plans on how to make this happen. But it won't he happening this summer. I'm working on some ideas on how to implement a temporary island for league and tournament play.

Hole#3: Don't pull the other pin placement, use it. It would make the hole a turnover shot like the old hole 8 and 9.
      That placement hasn't been used since the park was less than a month old. Turns out, it's too close to the neighbors property. The netting will help, but a high turnover shot in the wind could easily clear it. I don't know how much you know about the course's history, but there was a lot of tension between players and the neighbors in the early days - we really don't want to go there again. We're looking at moving the tee back slightly. It will be positioned such that shooting over the fence will be nearly impossible, and you'll still need a little turnover. This will not be the straight shot it is now.

Hole#6: The basket is in the old hole #5 position. Leave it. The new anchor is too short.You could also put a longer anchor where the old 6th teepad was to put more length back into the course.
      Originally, we wanted this hole to be much longer, so I asked them to put in a second collar for variety. We moved the pad up a quite a bit, and I agree it plays too easy from the short pad to the short basket. The only time the basket will be in that position is for special events such as one disc or ace race. I'm thinking about a longer placement between the lone tree (currently behind the basket) and the path. Remember - the path is OB. I asked to put a basket up on the berm among the trees and bushes, but that offer was declined. The area where the old 6 teepad was would be too close to the 7 pad.

Hole#7: Take the basket back and to the right. Where the path leads to old hole#7 teepad. Doing this would make the hole even more of a turnover shot and put length back into the course.
      Way ahead of you here - I was really in love with this idea early on, but we decided against it because a long shot could easily end on the path and path users would never see it coming. I'm also hoping we can put a picnic table where the old 7 pad was. I tried for up on the berm here as well, but again was politely declined. The intention on this hole is to play all bark paths and beyond as OB. I'll consider moving the basket closer to the edge for more of a challenge, but feedback I've received so far is that it's pretty fair. We're hoping to move the teepad back about ten feet - that will make the shot out of the trees a little trickier.

Now for the million dollar question, where is hole #8 going?
      The basket will be similar to where it was for old seven. The tee will be in the woods. This hole will be around 200' - 225, but tightly wooded with a well defined narrow fairway. This will probably be the toughest birdie on the course.

Hole#9: Put an longer anchor where the old #9 teepad was to put length back into the course.
      The problem with that is this - the harder you throw, the more chance you have of going off target. You've got path on your right and a hole 7's fairway on your left. If you move it too deep, you'd be throwing right at the basket for 6. Play all chips (including the island) as OB. That makes the hole significantly harder. There is a short collar on this one too, but we probably won't use it that often. We plan on moving the pad back about 3 feet to make throwing over the path a little tougher.

Keep in mind, the primary goal was to bring more safety to other park users (the path). The original plan brought to us was to simply remove holes 7 - 9 and have a 6 hole course with a long walkout. Another option on the table (briefly) was to remove the course completely. I hope we've come up with a suitable alternative.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Leo. Don't forget the work day on March 16. We need the golfers who play this course to help us out. With enough help, we'll put this little course back together.

Garry

Comment

It looks like you guys made the best changes you were allowed to and still keep the course in the ground. Thanks for that. I will be there for the work party if I don't have to work. You should put a notice on the bulletin board at the park about the work party for the new disc golfers and the ones that don't know about this forum. Thanks guys.

Comment

You should put a notice on the bulletin board at the park about the work party for the new disc golfers and the ones that don't know about this forum. Thanks guys.
            Will do. Already have a flier, just need to get out there.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X