Iron sentinel information desired. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Iron sentinel information desired.

    I wanted to get some information about the "donation pipe" or iron sentinel by the west hole one tee. I guess that I am thinking about putting one of these in at Champoeg but I wanted to know how much is made per week, which is what the park ranger at Champoeg is likely to ask.

    I have heard about successful iron sentinels in California getting three digits every week and was wondering if this is what we could expect in the green state (as opposed to the golden state).

    Perhaps another question to ask is "How often do you as a player donate to the iron sentinel when you play at McIver?" I think that I come in at about 50%, but I do not get out there much.

    Thanks for any insight that you might provide - Pop

  • #2
    I see that there are 36 views of this, and out of those nobody says that they put money into the course fund. This is a little dis-heartening but perhaps all the hits are from ten year old South-Korean kids who will never make it to Milo.

    I will give it a little more time....

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pop View Post
      I guess that I am thinking about putting one of these in at Champoeg
      What is the money being raised for, and are the rangers at Champoeg on board?

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm not sure how much that is used at Milo and what it brings in...

        I do know that Pier Parks donation box receives good funds from it being there. All funds donated to their box are used only for Pier Park and not put into the cities general parks funds.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pop View Post
          I see that there are 36 views of this, and out of those nobody says that they put money into the course fund. This is a little dis-heartening but perhaps all the hits are from ten year old South-Korean kids who will never make it to Milo.

          I will give it a little more time....
          I don't get to play Milo that often, but I've never noticed the iron ranger for the disc golf course. I'll probably throw a few bucks in, but I do sort of consider my day-use fee as payment at Milo. I'm more likely to put money in a drop at a free park, and when it is definitely going to course maintenance.

          Comment


          • #6
            If I knew that it was there, then I would gladly donate to Milo. I guess the moral of the story is to make it prominent if you're going to put one in. Even though I don't get to Milo that often, I spent four days down there for the Fling and I never once saw a donation tube.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, I honestly didn't know there was one either. I think most people assume that the state park day-use fees are maintaining the course.
              Oregon disc golf map

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Scott View Post
                What is the money being raised for, and are the rangers at Champoeg on board?
                I need some information before I can approach the park rangers with the funds for (but not limited to) the following: Tee pad maintenance, Basket maintenance, bench building, scorecards, and maybe three more holes.

                I am not convinced that the ranger will even allow it, but I wanted to be somewhat informed before I approach them about the matter.

                Thanks - Pop

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                  Yeah, I honestly didn't know there was one either. I think most people assume that the state park day-use fees are maintaining the course.
                  the Iron Pipe is right by hole one on the west course. There is a little kiosk there as well with score cards and the like. I am guessing that you folks all start on the east course, and as such this would be hole 19 or so.

                  Thanks - Pop

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pop View Post
                    the Iron Pipe is right by hole one on the west course. There is a little kiosk there as well with score cards and the like. I am guessing that you folks all start on the east course, and as such this would be hole 19 or so.
                    As far as I know, most old-timers start on the west course. But we also don't pay any attention to the kiosk; we go straight to the #1 teepad and start throwing.
                    Oregon disc golf map

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                      As far as I know, most old-timers start on the west course. But we also don't pay any attention to the kiosk; we go straight to the #1 teepad and start throwing.
                      I think this is true for most who start on the west side. Moving the kiosk and donation box is something that has been slated to be moved closer to hole 1 too make better use of both.

                      I'm sure your contact at the park could investigate other state parks using the donation box and determine if it's worth installing. Plant the seed!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Do boaters have to pay an additional fee to the park to launch a boat?

                        Do horse-folk need to donate money to ride their horses on the paths?

                        Without question.... I love Milo. However, I have to say that we disc golfers already do 90% of the course maintenance out there AND we already pay our parking fees like everyone else. I think asking us to donate even more is a bit over the top.

                        I can totally understand a donation box being appropriate in a park like Pier Park, that it is free to play, but we already pay for Milo every time we buy a park pass.

                        Unless we can get an agreement with the rangers at Milo from the park that promises that ALL money left in disc-golf specific donation box will be used ONLY on the disc course itself then I don't like the idea. We have an agreement like this with Pier Park and it works great. Not only does it ensure that our money is used for the purpose we originally intended it for, but it also repeatedly points out to the parks department that disc golfers appreciate and support our courses.
                        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          thank you, jeff hagerty. you said what my brain was thinking.
                          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                            thank you, jeff hagerty. you said what my brain was thinking.
                            Man, that Jeff Hagerty is right on the money, he should run some sort of disc golf organization...

                            Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                            Or does here stand the last remaining man
                            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                            Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I leave my cans in the "sentinels" scattered throughout the course. At a nickel a piece I've donated quite a few dollars over the years.

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X