X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milo McIver History --- Vortex 1

A little history on our own cathedral of disc golf here in the northwest.

Just finished watching an episode of Oregon Experience on OPB, the story of Vortex 1 which took place at Milo McIver. For some of you born and raised Oregonians this might be old news but it was new to me. Fascinating story that you can find out about and watch the show online at the link below. Some cool old shots of McIver!

http://www.opb.org/programs/oregonex...ms/28-Vortex-I

Off of the Wikipedia page I found this quote by Tom McCall

McCall later told Studs Terkel: "It was the damnedest confrontation you'll ever see. We took a park, 20 miles south of Portland, and turned it into an overnight bivouac and disco party.…There was a lot of pot smoking and skinny dipping but nobody was killed."

Tom McCall was certainly one of Oregon's most fascinating political figures in history. Famous for his desire to keep Oregon's wilderness pristine and keep out of the state the reckless sprawl that plagued states like California. "Come visit us again and again. This is a State of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live" 1971 interview. The bottle deposit, public beaches as a legal statute and yes, Vortex.

If you have a few days off or a fair bit of spare time I'd heartily recommend reading "Fire at Eden's Gate: Tom McCall and the Oregon Story" it's long but well worth it for bits of his history and the history of the state.
    Last edited by Joshua Olmsted; October 28th, 2010, 11:57 PM. Reason: word choice
    PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
    dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
      Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X