X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McIver Baskets as of 12/3/09: only 9 in the ground

Went out to McIver yesterday. Only 9 holes are open. West course is completely closed. On the East course 1,2,3,9,10,11,16,17,18 are the only holes with Baskets in the ground.
    Last edited by rustynail; December 4th, 2009, 10:43 AM.

Are there signs up at the entrance telling people about this?
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by rustynail View Post
      Went out to McIver yesterday. Only 9 holes are open. West course is completely closed. On the East course 1,2,3,9,10,11,16,17,18 are the only holes with Baskets in the ground.
      That's a shame.

Comment

There is a sign posted on the bulletin board by hole 1 on the East course. Also there are course maps posted on each open hole with the 9 holes highlighted in green.

Comment

Good to know...man, to think I was bummed when I played Milo earlier in the year and all the positions were short.
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I recently heard that it won't be this way for long. They are going to set up an 18 hole loop for the winter, in an attempt to create some erosion control.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
              I recently heard that it won't be this way for long. They are going to set up an 18 hole loop for the winter, in an attempt to create some erosion control.
              That worked really great last year at Pier, let's do it at Milo too.

The thing about closing a bunch of holes on a course is that the holes left open get way more torn up and it makes the erosion problems worse. That makes a cycle of closing holes, having some get really torn up, then having to close those to restore, then the other holes getting torn up, etc. etc.

A better solution to closing holes is doing physical improvements to paths and areas that get a lot of wear and tear. Keeping all the holes in allows courses get more evenly worn down without half the course getting trampled - especially during the wettest time of the year. Places where erosion is a problem (the walkout on hole 5E - stump hole - for example) need some extra attention.

I would like to see the tournament 36 hole layout left open for the winter while the campgrounds are closed and there aren't many other competing park users. Sure the natural teepads will get torn up, but those will become cement teepads eventually anyways. Closing half the holes will create twice the erosion on the open holes.

Disc golfers are a very valuable user group to Milo McIver State Park.
              How about a poll to see if DGers want the 36 hole layout left in for winters at Milo?

Comment

This decision wasn't made by Milo crew alone, it came from higher up in the official food chain from my understanding. Also, in particular it is 6 holes that get abused in the Winter, this is the main focus of the erosion control attempts.

Also there is no official rule if we will -ever- get cement tee pads on the temp holes. Yes we would all like that, but due to the conflicts involved with other park users it is doubtful.

Comment

erosion problems?

Let think about that.

The park is next to a river.
                  The park is in a valley created by the river.
                  Erosion is the natural way of life.

Why are they stopping erosion if it is the natural thing to do?

Disclaimer: This an attempt at being funny about the things in life. No replies are necessary.

Comment

Playing the 9 available holes twice is a challenging 18, but still not worth the drive for me up in St. John's. Better stick to Pier this winter...

Comment

does any body know if they added more baskets or is it still just 9 holes.
                      X - Man

Comment

Still just 9, I drove out today to check it out.

Comment

Sorry guys, but it will probably be around mid Feb. until 18 baskets are back in.

Comment

I will be scheduling work parties about once or twice a month up until the BSF, which takes place at the end of May. We have much needed work to continue to improve and develop Milo McIver's Riverbend course "Gems" of disc golf!

Please show your support by volunteering!!

Also, I encourage all to help out at the installation of "Stub Stewart S.P." course that Mike Phillips is heading up. You will not be disappointed!!!

Course development only happens with the support of disc golfers. If you haven't participated in a work party, I encourage you to experience the grass roots effort!!

Comment

Anyone seen the course lately? What's the word on this mythic mid-Feb hole reinstall?

Today's already the 13th!! I'm chompin' on the bit!
                              Last edited by Black_Knight; February 13th, 2010, 01:02 AM. Reason: date change

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X