Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parks
    started a topic Baskets are PDGA-approved

Baskets are PDGA-approved

Looks like the baskets should be updated to be "PDGA approved," considering I see they're on the technical standards page now

• Bob Horning
    replied
    Originally posted by ahukingacehole View Post
    I just played the new course and the baskets are way better than any version used before. Also the tee pads are awesomely huge and have excellent grip with the textured design. If the canyon course has the same configuration i think i will be making the drive more often.
    As you must have noticed if you played the Canyon course in the last few days the Canyon course now has concrete tee pads too. I will be working over the next few months to update the Canyon course baskets to the same configuration as the Meadow Ridge course. Also sometime late next week we should be getting the signage for the Meadow Ridge course back (Houckdesign signs)and be putting them up through the following week. Always making it better!

Leave a comment:

• ahukingacehole
    replied
    I just played the new course and the baskets are way better than any version used before. Also the tee pads are awesomely huge and have excellent grip with the textured design. If the canyon course has the same configuration i think i will be making the drive more often.

Leave a comment:

• smobro
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Horning View Post
    Adam is 100% correct. Considering that with shipping baskets are about $400 a peice I can make these at about $150 (not including my labor costs). We are a family run, recreational facilty that has built up the place over a long period of time with a small budget. The price of commercial baskets was simply out of reach, and it's not that hard to make one that meets the PDGA specs. That and why not re-use something that's works and is unique? Plus when you have more time than money it makes even more scense.

And as far as the grant funds go, they're going to materials such as concrete, metal, new signage. The grant would have been need to be a whole lot more if it went to baskets. Stub Stewart got a grant for just baskets, and I think it was around $10,000 alone.
    Bob,
    thanks again for all your hard work. I appreciate your response.
    PS. I always put extra money in the bucket so someday maybe you will have more money than time

Leave a comment:

• smobro
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott View Post
    They also give the course a very unique look and feel. Something you can't experience any place else.

I would like to see concrete pads on every hole. Yeah, they're not needed on most holes. But having them on every hole gives the course a consistent and completed feel. Also, they will require less maintenence over time. For that matter, I'd like to see them on the Highlands course, too.

While I agree that the look is unique and I agree with you there, I disagree that concrete pads make more sense long term on the holes that I mentioned. For 1, once concrete is poured it makes redesign in the future more difficult. Secondly, the wooden structures with gravel, are much more aesthetically pleasing and will be less slippery when playing in the winter.

Leave a comment:

• Bullseye
    replied
    Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
    You gonna put those aircraft carrier decks on the Canyon Course too? Honestly, most of the holes there don't need a jumbo teepad.
    Ignore this guy!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Horning
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott View Post
    They also give the course a very unique look and feel. Something you can't experience any place else.

I would like to see concrete pads on every hole. Yeah, they're not needed on most holes. But having them on every hole gives the course a consistent and completed feel. Also, they will require less maintenence over time. For that matter, I'd like to see them on the Highlands course, too.
    On the canyon course we will pour every hole, actually now looking at this Wendesday and Thursday to do it. On the Highland course, eventually.

Leave a comment:

• Hippy007
    replied
    Originally posted by smobro View Post
    Please spend your time on the baskets. The baskets need staggered inner chains so bad. The staggering will significantly reduce the likelihood of quality putts costing strokes. And the wheel wells need to have some sort of drag wires welded into them to stop the bad slide out issues.
    Now, if the goal of the course is to be an over par course for the average player, then it is fine the way it is. The better than average players can try to match their skill on the 3rd course. If the goal is to have a PDGA event at the Canyon course, then the baskets will never pass muster even with better chain configuration because of the skip out problems the wheel wells have that baskets at A tier PDGA courses do not have.
    I am guessing you have not played on the new baskets because the skip out problem is gone with the new chain design. there are three rows of chain and the outer chain is close enough to stop the skip outs. Also the few pros i have talked to say the new baskets are the stickiest ones they have played on.

Hippy007

Leave a comment:

• Adam Schneider
    replied
    The high visibility is nice too. Even the blaze-orange-coated baskets I've seen aren't as easy to spot in the woods as the HH baskets.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Two reasons, I think: cost (half as much) and the desire to make the baskets almost entirely out of recycled materials.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Horning
    replied
    Two reasons, I think: cost (half as much) and the desire to make the baskets almost entirely out of recycled materials.
    Adam is 100% correct. Considering that with shipping baskets are about $400 a peice I can make these at about $150 (not including my labor costs). We are a family run, recreational facilty that has built up the place over a long period of time with a small budget. The price of commercial baskets was simply out of reach, and it's not that hard to make one that meets the PDGA specs. That and why not re-use something that's works and is unique? Plus when you have more time than money it makes even more scense.

And as far as the grant funds go, they're going to materials such as concrete, metal, new signage. The grant would have been need to be a whole lot more if it went to baskets. Stub Stewart got a grant for just baskets, and I think it was around $10,000 alone.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Schneider
    replied
    Originally posted by smobro View Post
    I am still confused as to why Pre-Approved PDGA baskets by one of the top three manufacturers weren't purchased and used in the first place on any of the courses?

Leave a comment:

• smobro
    replied
    Bob,
    My opinion only, but don't wast your time on concrete t pads on anything other than hole 1, 2, 9, 13, 17, and 18 on the Canyon Course. the rest can be 4' x 8' gravel with treated wood borders to save you the time and money.
    Please spend your time on the baskets. The baskets need staggered inner chains so bad. The staggering will significantly reduce the likelihood of quality putts costing strokes. And the wheel wells need to have some sort of drag wires welded into them to stop the bad slide out issues.
    Now, if the goal of the course is to be an over par course for the average player, then it is fine the way it is. The better than average players can try to match their skill on the 3rd course. If the goal is to have a PDGA event at the Canyon course, then the baskets will never pass muster even with better chain configuration because of the skip out problems the wheel wells have that baskets at A tier PDGA courses do not have.
    I am still confused as to why Pre-Approved PDGA baskets by one of the top three manufacturers weren't purchased and used in the first place on any of the courses? It seems like this would have alleviated alot of complaints. Since some of the Hornings Hideout project has been funded by public dollars, I guess I am wondering why the home-made basket issue in the first place. Please don't take this as being disingenuous. I have just never have heard the answer to this question. It seems like more work, time and money to use the home made version instead of purchasing proven baskets to begin with. Again, just curious, not trying to be negative.

Leave a comment:

• murray the brit
    replied
    sorry to thread hijack but i did not know i made basket's

"Fiber Shot Murray Disc Golf"

Leave a comment:

• Adam Schneider
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Horning View Post
    Probably will do 10 ft instead of 12, except on 13 and 18.
    #17 also requires a full-on drive in most cases. I don't think any others do though.

Leave a comment:

Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X