X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baskets are PDGA-approved

Looks like the baskets should be updated to be "PDGA approved," considering I see they're on the technical standards page now
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...ets_102909.pdf

Cool!

I think only Meadow Ridge has the PDGA approved targets. Can someone confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      think only Meadow Ridge has the PDGA approved targets. Can someone confirm this?
      That was my understanding, but I can't officially confirm it.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Speaking of which, it may have been mentioned elsewhere and I missed it, but how do the new baskets compare to the others?
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Consider it confirmed. Have played it twice...no spit outs to speak of. The design flaws of the others have been remedied.
          Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Awesome, that was one of my few gripes about the Canyon course...after about the 3rd spitout or so, I just had to take a deep breath and enjoy the surroundings. Can't wait to see the new course in person!
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

All I know from bob

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              Awesome, that was one of my few gripes about the Canyon course...after about the 3rd spitout or so, I just had to take a deep breath and enjoy the surroundings. Can't wait to see the new course in person!
              the Canyon will have these baskets too but not the highlands course, those are going to stay the same. The canyon will also get cement tees when we get a couple of dry days in a row.

Hippy007

Comment

The Meadow Ridge basket design (HH3) has been approved, and we will modify the Canyon Course soon also. Since the Highlands course can never hold an official PDGA tournament we won't change those, but they are close to the HH3 design. The major differences are longer chains (almost to the very bottom) narrower top (by 2 inches) and a slightly shorter target area. As Andy says, as soon as the weather changes for a few days we'll be doing concrete.

Comment

You gonna put those aircraft carrier decks on the Canyon Course too? Honestly, most of the holes there don't need a jumbo teepad.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                    You gonna put those aircraft carrier decks on the Canyon Course too? Honestly, most of the holes there don't need a jumbo teepad.

Probably will do 10 ft instead of 12, except on 13 and 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Horning View Post
                      Probably will do 10 ft instead of 12, except on 13 and 18.
                      #17 also requires a full-on drive in most cases. I don't think any others do though.
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

sorry to thread hijack but i did not know i made basket's

"Fiber Shot Murray Disc Golf"

Comment

Bob,
                          My opinion only, but don't wast your time on concrete t pads on anything other than hole 1, 2, 9, 13, 17, and 18 on the Canyon Course. the rest can be 4' x 8' gravel with treated wood borders to save you the time and money.
                          Please spend your time on the baskets. The baskets need staggered inner chains so bad. The staggering will significantly reduce the likelihood of quality putts costing strokes. And the wheel wells need to have some sort of drag wires welded into them to stop the bad slide out issues.
                          Now, if the goal of the course is to be an over par course for the average player, then it is fine the way it is. The better than average players can try to match their skill on the 3rd course. If the goal is to have a PDGA event at the Canyon course, then the baskets will never pass muster even with better chain configuration because of the skip out problems the wheel wells have that baskets at A tier PDGA courses do not have.
                          I am still confused as to why Pre-Approved PDGA baskets by one of the top three manufacturers weren't purchased and used in the first place on any of the courses? It seems like this would have alleviated alot of complaints. Since some of the Hornings Hideout project has been funded by public dollars, I guess I am wondering why the home-made basket issue in the first place. Please don't take this as being disingenuous. I have just never have heard the answer to this question. It seems like more work, time and money to use the home made version instead of purchasing proven baskets to begin with. Again, just curious, not trying to be negative.
                          Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
                            I am still confused as to why Pre-Approved PDGA baskets by one of the top three manufacturers weren't purchased and used in the first place on any of the courses?
                            Two reasons, I think: cost (half as much) and the desire to make the baskets almost entirely out of recycled materials.
                            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                              Two reasons, I think: cost (half as much) and the desire to make the baskets almost entirely out of recycled materials.
                              Adam is 100% correct. Considering that with shipping baskets are about $400 a peice I can make these at about $150 (not including my labor costs). We are a family run, recreational facilty that has built up the place over a long period of time with a small budget. The price of commercial baskets was simply out of reach, and it's not that hard to make one that meets the PDGA specs. That and why not re-use something that's works and is unique? Plus when you have more time than money it makes even more scense.

And as far as the grant funds go, they're going to materials such as concrete, metal, new signage. The grant would have been need to be a whole lot more if it went to baskets. Stub Stewart got a grant for just baskets, and I think it was around $10,000 alone.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X