Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 last time, name for Horning's #3

Hi all.
    This one is tough. Currently the name of the course is going towards simply the Gold course, though to me that just doesn't have that right feel, being we also have the Canyon and Highlands courses. So I'm throwing this hat into the ring one last time.
    The names so far is Gold Course, Ridge Course, Ridgeline course, Back Forty, and my personal favorite (which is new and the reason for this poll) Meadow Ridge Course.
    The reason I like Meadow Ridge is because it is discriptive, the course has both meadows and is on a ridge. Glenn Colins (Cullens) also came up as a Scottish name, supposeably meaning meadows next to wooded hills which is what it is, but when I looked that up the only meaning I could find was a meadow with holly trees.
    So if you would let me know your thoughts on this one. As I said, it's tough to figure out a name for something, you do want it to have a good feel to it.
    Thanks all for your help!!
    PS, if the moderators would like to make a poll of this, thanks in advance.
    Gold
    37.93%
    Ridge
    0.00%
    Ridgeline
    6.90%
    Back Forty
    13.79%
    Meadow Ridge
    34.48%
    Glenn Cullens
    3.45%
    other
    3.45%

I still think Gold is the best option. With the exception of the climb up to #8, it doesn't feel ridge-ish to me... just a big hillside. ("Mountainside"?)
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Bob, just my personal opinion, but I say name it whatever the hell you want! I haven't gotten to play the course yet (hopefully soon though), so I can't legitimately suggest a name myself. Though, I do feel that it should follow in the same vein as the other course names.

I'm pretty sure that you've earned the respect of all disc golfers in the NW, and nobody's going to think any less of you if you decide to go with something other than "Gold."
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

gold

Comment

I don't know if it's just named gold it sounds generic there's really no feeling no love of the land around it

Comment

I vote for the Back Forty. "I'm going out to the Back Forty and throw some plastic...Care to join?"
            Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

I admit that "Meadow Ridge" sounds cooler than Gold; I just don't know how appropriate it is. Back Forty would be better if the course actually was on 40 acres, instead of 24.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Right. Back forty is more of a saying these days than a literal interpretation. But making everything literal is just as neat.

'The back forty' is a beloved American idiom. In the US, 1 township is 36 square miles (6 miles by 6 miles). Each square mile (a section of land) is divided into 16 subdivisions of 40 acres (1/4 mile by 1/4 mile)-- so a quarter section is 160 acres, a common unit of ownership in the early days of farming. The quarter-section farmer would own two 'front 40s' and two 'back 40s'. After the Civil War, former slaves were by some accounts offered reparations consisting of 'forty acres and a mule'." http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...ages/1130.html
                Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Mayhap I'll come out today to have a looksee.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X