New target placements on Canyon Course for holes 1, 5, 7, 11, 12 and 15 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New target placements on Canyon Course for holes 1, 5, 7, 11, 12 and 15

Hi all, yesterday we poured cement for alternate placements of some of the targets, moved tee pad 8 and made an alternate tee pad 13. Tomorrow (the 29th) we will move the targets around (except for hole one, that one we won't move unless it's a tournament). We also have a couple targets going into the areas around the lake (see let the debate begin on 13 thread).
    later

Where's the new #8 tee in relation to the old one?
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
      Where's the new #8 tee in relation to the old one?
      It's 33 feet further back and up hill just a bit. Brings another tree into play and narrows the throw a bit while giving a better visual effect.

Comment

Dammit, Bob, I was just there on Sunday and now I gotta go out there AGAIN to scope out the new changes?!

By the way, we explored the terrain where the new course will go; those firs look pretty epic.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Dammit, Bob, I was just there on Sunday and now I gotta go out there AGAIN to scope out the new changes?!

By the way, we explored the terrain where the new course will go; those firs look pretty epic.
          Where the holes are laid out, there are fairways cut through them (fairly tight, 15 to 20 ft), it just may not look like it now since I don't have the pad and target areas marked.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Horning View Post
            Where the holes are laid out, there are fairways cut through them (fairly tight, 15 to 20 ft), it just may not look like it now since I don't have the pad and target areas marked.
            Honestly, we couldn't really envision any specific holes... it just looked like a damn fine place to put a course.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Horning View Post
              It's 33 feet further back and up hill just a bit. Brings another tree into play and narrows the throw a bit while giving a better visual effect.
              Played the new tees on 8 and 13 on Monday. Good stuff.

I agree the new 8 tee has a better visual effect looking down toward the basket. Rather than narrowing it, the elevated location seemed to open up or clarify the line to me. I knew right away the line I wanted to take and was able to hit it nearly perfect, no problem.

Hole 13 does bring the tree line into play a bit more, but my 2nd shot still put me pretty close to the same lie as usual. I'd estimate the new tee will put me about 20ft further back on average than I would normally be lying to putt for 3 from the old tee, bringing it closer in line to being a legit par 4 hole.

I've also been observing that the new baskets spit good putts much less than the old ones. Looking forward to chain upgrades on the canyon course to save me a few strokes during future rounds.

Can't wait to check out the new pin positions and the new course. Thanks Bob!

Comment

I played Horning's today with the new tee and pin positions.

Both the new tee positions are good. I wouldn't say either adds significant difficulty, but I like them better.

Pins:
                1. Hadn't been moved, but I saw the new anchor. I like the looks of it.

5. Farther down the path. A fairly straight shot no longer gets the job done, and I'm not throwing a putter anymore. Still an easy par, but a birdie will take more work. I like it.

7. Deeper, slightly right (I think), and more protected. This will take a more strategic line to get a bird. Again, I like it.

11. Farther to the left and slightly deeper. Basically this just adds to the challenge. Before you had to go way left without hitting trees. Now you have to go way left without hitting trees. Again, I like it.

12. Holy hell. This one got a lot more difficult. And not just because I hit lots of trees. It's much deeper and up the hill to the left. Apparently, Bob was very angry about birdies and ace runs on this hole. Rest easy, Bob. No more ace runs here.

15. Longer, more protected. Pretty much calls for the same throw, but stepping up from a mid to a fairway driver.

Great work, Bob. Thanks so much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
                  1. Hadn't been moved, but I saw the new anchor. I like the looks of it.
                  So where is it?

Originally posted by dan View Post
                  5. Farther down the path. A fairly straight shot no longer gets the job done
                  If a straight shot doesn't do it, what does?
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

So where is it?
                    The new hole 1 anchor is a little deeper, close to some small trees. I don't remember if there was anything blocking the front of the basket. Since I wasn't playing it, I didn't pay as much attention.

If a straight shot doesn't do it, what does?
                    The path on hole 5 is at a bit of an angle, so now you have to sweep a bit left. The challenge for lefties like me will be controlling a turnover or anny. The problem for righties will be traveling to the left without hyzering out too much at the end (I think. I don't know how you crazy right handed kids operate).

Comment

Adam, went out today and mesured myself all the holes on the canyon course. Several of the old numbers were wrong, some short, some long (my friends must have been having a good time when measuring), plus the new numbers on the new pin placements. All are taken with both measuring tape and counting wheel, so they are dead on. Took the line of which I thought a great throw would take.

Do you update both oregondiscgolf.com and dgcoursereview.com? I'm sure you do oregondiscgolf, but not sure on dgcourse reveiws. If you do here are some numbers. Hole #1 is 265', alternate pin is 310', #2 is 350', #3 is 225' (we will probably move the pad on this one and add 33'), #4 is 232, # 5 is 306', alternate pin is 218', #6 is 229 ', #7 is 265', alt 210', #8 is 231', #9 is 315', #10 is 227', #11 is 252', alt 197', #12 is 311', alt 165', #13 is 463,' or alt 450', #14 is 229', #15 is 312', alt is 225', #16 is 250', #17 is 338', and #18 is 700'. Hole 13 was way off, I think the my helpers for the day wanted to just post it 420 for herb reasons. The course is set right now with all the longer pin placements except for hole #1, we'll move that just for tournaments (I like the way it looks right now out in the open, it gets folks attention when driving by). total length comes right at 5,500 ft (5,545 ft with #1 in alt) with the new pin placements and good measurements. Go figure the even number.
                      Thanks, Bob

Comment

I knew those preliminary measurements were suspect.

I'll update both of 'em when I get the time, although it's worth mentioning that ANYONE can go in and edit the info at dgcoursereview.com. Just make an account there, Bob.
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I knew those preliminary measurements were suspect.

I'll update both of 'em when I get the time, although it's worth mentioning that ANYONE can go in and edit the info at dgcoursereview.com. Just make an account there, Bob.
                          thought so, I'll go do that, thanks!

Comment

Played the new changes tonight. Here is what I think:

Hole 1) The basket isn't in the new placement, but I checked out the new anchor. This will be an awesome placement for tourneys....especialy if you throw in some OB rope on the edges of the road and path.

Hole 5) The pin placement is awesome!!!! Takes a good pop and a lot of control to get to this one. I am sure this hole will play a stroke harder in the new placement.

Hole 7) I use to throw a soft XD turnover to the old placement....now it is a slight hyzer with an overstable mid. Not a lot harder, but the roughness of the green will leave a lot of decent shots with a tough putt.

Hole 8) I think this hole is now easier. It use to be a touchy, speed control hole. Now I can swing easy with an XD right at it.

Hole 11) I didn't get this one figured out today. I think the play is a high, hyzer with a floaty midrange. Pretty technical shot.

Hole 12) Wow.......big changes here. What use to be the easiest hole on the course now plays at least a stroke harder. Seems like a hard hyzer with a skip at the end is the play.

Hole 13) Didn't think this placement makes the hole any harder.

Hole 15) Great change. Use to get the short placement with an XD...had to go with a fairway driver or overstable midrange to get the new placement.

Overall, I liked the changes!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
                              Played the new changes tonight. Here is what I think:

Hole 1) The basket isn't in the new placement, but I checked out the new anchor. This will be an awesome placement for tourneys....especialy if you throw in some OB rope on the edges of the road and path.

Hole 5) The pin placement is awesome!!!! Takes a good pop and a lot of control to get to this one. I am sure this hole will play a stroke harder in the new placement.

Hole 7) I use to throw a soft XD turnover to the old placement....now it is a slight hyzer with an overstable mid. Not a lot harder, but the roughness of the green will leave a lot of decent shots with a tough putt.

Hole 8) I think this hole is now easier. It use to be a touchy, speed control hole. Now I can swing easy with an XD right at it.

Hole 11) I didn't get this one figured out today. I think the play is a high, hyzer with a floaty midrange. Pretty technical shot.

Hole 12) Wow.......big changes here. What use to be the easiest hole on the course now plays at least a stroke harder. Seems like a hard hyzer with a skip at the end is the play.

Hole 13) Didn't think this placement makes the hole any harder.

Hole 15) Great change. Use to get the short placement with an XD...had to go with a fairway driver or overstable midrange to get the new placement.

Overall, I liked the changes!!!!!
                              Thanks, we try

We moved #8 Tee pad for two reasons, one is to get it away from the new placement of target #7 (safety reasons) and two was to try to lengthen it a bit. I was hoping that a couple of trees would visually come into play and narrow the shot just a bit, but we'll see. Because the pad is up a bit higher in elevation it visually looks a lot better anyway, I think

The thought behind #13 was more elevation to deal with, and a tighter u-turn. at the old tee the angle allows a throw to go farther up hill for the guys with the huge arms, and the thought was that the new angle would take off about 30-50 feet from their first throw. all theories

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X