X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hagg lake

everyone should go play hagg. i played it yesterday and it was great. the field is mostly dead. the forest isnt too overgrown. and it is really fun right now. i am going back in a couple days.

You caught it in one of the few mowings of the year. Its a great place to play in the summer, as long as its been mowed. Im glad you liked it. Me and the Hagg crew have worked hard on that course, making it as good as we can out of our own pockets. Mostly Jim NIms' pockets.
    All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

we still got eaten up from walking so far in the grass, but it was well worth it. ive only been there twice now, but so far hole 9 is my favorite

Comment

I played it today and it was hot and the grass was itchy. The wind was pretty strong off the lake. I took two others with me and they said they were happy to have played it but that they are not wanting to return. The reason was that the walkouts are too long, the grass sucks and the wooded holes are not well defined.

I agree with them for the most part and think that Hagg can benefit from a redesign. Washington County seemed interested in Disc Golf after Bob Horning and Stub Stewart put in grants and were awarded them. I am betting that if we approach Washington County Parks at the Administrative level we can get approved for a re-design centered around the parking lot and boat ramp further up the road. It would be nice if Hagg was turned into a premier course with tee pads, clean fairways, tee signs, and benches.
        PDGA #25296
        Stumptown #34

Comment

I agree with Flash, the wooded holes for the most part need...a lot of work. Would be nice to get some help from higher up the food chain to get this done, heck I would volunteer for that. That property has great potential.

Comment

I don't think the course needs to be moved. I think the woods holes are fantastic but need a little TLC, and the meadow holes need to be re-designed; right now most of them are boring and just need to be re-shuffled a bit.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

When I played Hagg the grass was super tall, you needed a spotter for your spotter. Didn't finish the course, and I really would like to play all the holes. Trozzle, can you post something under the Hagg Lake course thread to update people on the most recent mowing? Thanks!
              sigpic

Comment

I think the open holes are the only good thing about Hagg lake. In my mind a disc golf course needs to have lines that are achievable. While the wooded holes are playable, and most of them birdied. They have minimal to no defined or high percentage lines. Though they do have potential, they just need work. I'm not trying to knock or bash anyone by saying that, and I know many people agree at least in some part.

Sure the open holes may not be super technical, hole 2 and 3 are more basic hyzer shots, but every course needs the chance for some easier birdie holes. They help make up for the longer and or more technical holes on the course.

But what do I know, I am biased to long holes as it is!

Comment

Mike's right with a redesign, moving the start to a larger parking area. Potential up the wazzu, yes. But some attention is needed to bring it up to the current local standard.
                  educate your thinking

Comment

a couple of the meadow holes could use a redesign. but other than that i dont think the whole course does. i love all of the wooded holes, sure they are hard, i need a challenge if i want to drive all the way out there. the course could use some cement. and the fairways could use some upkeep also. the only thing that REALLY needs to be changed is the parking.

Comment

Moving field holes to minimize the long walkouts (to the woods) would be priority #1 IMO...

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                        I played it today and it was hot and the grass was itchy. The wind was pretty strong off the lake. I took two others with me and they said they were happy to have played it but that they are not wanting to return. The reason was that the walkouts are too long, the grass sucks and the wooded holes are not well defined.

I agree with them for the most part and think that Hagg can benefit from a redesign. Washington County seemed interested in Disc Golf after Bob Horning and Stub Stewart put in grants and were awarded them. I am betting that if we approach Washington County Parks at the Administrative level we can get approved for a re-design centered around the parking lot and boat ramp further up the road. It would be nice if Hagg was turned into a premier course with tee pads, clean fairways, tee signs, and benches.
                        I agree. Hagg could be top notch... with a 100% redesign. Perhaps some of the holes out there would be reuseable, but only if they fit into the overall do-over plan.
                        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I think there are some great aspects to the Hagg Lake course, but there is a reason that it goes mostly unused. I too agree that a major re-design is needed to create better flow. The woods holes could certainly uses some attention, as well. Finally, any redisgn should look at where the water level will be in a few years and plan accordingly so the course is not lost when the dam is raised in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                            I agree. Hagg could be top notch... with a 100% redesign. Perhaps some of the holes out there would be reuseable, but only if they fit into the overall do-over plan.

yep it does need a whole new redesign.

The work the Mr. Nims and the Hagg crew has been admirable with what the county is allowing them to do.

The changes should be made to make it 36 holes. Even if that means moving to the other side of the lake....

but it could for sure be 1 of "THE" Destination courses in the Portland Metro area
                            "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NWDiscer View Post
                              The changes should be made to make it 36 holes. Even if that means moving to the other side of the lake....
                              I've heard that the county might be amicable to adding a course on the other side of the lake. An 18 hole course on each side of the lake would be the shiznit!

First things first - The exisiting course needs a makeover first. After that, the county might be more open to adding another course.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X