Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the changes are a great idea. I don't think that lengthening the holes a bit will make the course that much more difficult for beginners. If beginners are carding sixes and sevens it's not entirely because of hole length, it's often just because they are three putting and such. Hole 5 is 405' and as far as I know, no one complains about the length of the hole. None of the proposed changes will make any holes that long (except perhaps hole 1). On top of that, there will still be a great variety of hole lengths, there is nothing you can do about many of them anyhow.

The only people that it will potentially "hurt" are the people who are now shooting around par. Even then, the extra challenge will help them to improve their game greatly. Which is something that I think would be great for the locals, and is missing from Greenway. Look at all the kids playing the course now, it's amazing. And their golfing ability is getting seriously stumped by not having the variety and challenge that they will encounter when they play other courses, like Pier. Clearly, the land won't allow for many of those challenges, but we can do our best to simulate some of them.

On top of that, having a second set of pin placements on most holes will definitely help with the wear and tear on the grass. Some of those greens haven't had anything green around them since springtime.

-Gwillim

Comment

Brody, you are going to be living at your parents house until you are 40 if you keep this up. JK thanks for all your hard work out there. After seeing you and Elzinga kill it this weekend, I guess I am going to have to stop beating Greenway up and start playing it more. Apparently it is a game improver.

My only thoughts would be that they put money into better drainage and/or consider elevating/ de-elevating some more of the tee boxes and/or baskets to provide some additional texture to the round. Kinda like #4 and #8. I like that throw. Good risk/reward with the hill as a rollout or backstop. How about a hole from Albertson's roof top to #2? let's talk to the mgr at the store and see if they will let us throw from there?
      Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
        How about a hole from Albertson's roof top to #2? let's talk to the mgr at the store and see if they will let us throw from there?
        I've actually tried to throw from the Albertsons parking lot to hole 2 and it's pretty fun but you gotta have a spotter.

Comment

I met with the parks guy today and we discussed everything about the park and the course. We've exchanged phone numbers and email addresses so I'll keep everyone updated.

What we're thinking is stenciling on the tee pads instead of signs to save money and then putting that money towards a nice kiosk. As far as different placements, that's up to his boss and all the nature freaks that think disc golf is a harm to the environment.

Comment

If they're really concerned about harm to the environment, then they should stop mowing all the grass in all the city parks.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Brody Cannon View Post
              ...all the nature freaks that think disc golf is a harm to the environment.
              That's a little uncalled for, Brody.

Just because someone cares about the enviroment does not make them a freak, right?

Playing DG and caring about the environment should NOT be mutually exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                If they're really concerned about harm to the environment, then they should stop mowing all the grass in all the city parks.
                Which is exactly why Greenway park has a mix of mowed and unmowed areas.

Orchard Park used to have an unmowed habitat area (holes 4-9), but the parks department apparently caved in to the disc golfers requests.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Just because someone cares about the enviroment does not make them a freak, right?

He did include a qualifier in there. "...all the nature freaks that think disc golf is a harm to the environment."

He is not including the nature freaks that don't think disc golf is a harm to the environment.

Comment

This should shed some light on the changes that Greenway Park is currently going through.

http://www.thprd.org/pdfs/facilities/GWoutreachinfo.pdf

Comment

I don't consider myself a "nature freak", but I do think disc golf can have a negative effect on natural habitats.

Comment

Do I really need to be MORE specific?! I'm talking about all the people that send emails to THPRD trying to get the course removed because they've "seen a disc hit a tree". I probably care for the environment just as much if not more than you do Scott. After all, I LIVE along the park. I do in some ways think that disc golf is a harm to the environment but I'm talking about the people that are strongly overreacting. People that litter are harming the environment. People that smoke are harming the environment. Heck, even people walking in the grass could be considered harming the environment! When I say 'nature freaks' I am referring to the people that are prejudice against disc golf in general. The changes I'm trying to achieve at the course are to HELP so why are you disagreeing with them?

Comment

Having city parks harms the environment. Having cities harms the environment. Reproducing harms the environment, your kid will most likely litter sometime in his/her life.

I worked on wind turbines for 5 months last year. One time climbing down a tower I was crowded by a bunch of "nature freaks" that wanted the wind turbines shut down because they kill birds. I'm pretty sure wind power is one of the "greenest" ways to produce power. If you think wind power isn't clean enough then stop using electricity. If disc golf is harmful to the environment to the extent that somebody wants to banish it, then walking, running, and living is in the same category. So murdering people is good for the environment.

I feel like a politician now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brody Cannon View Post
                            The changes I'm trying to achieve at the course are to HELP so why are you disagreeing with them?
                            Mostly to play Devil's advocate. I think the park has a good mix of natural and mixed use areas, and I'd like it to stay that way. I'd like to make sure all sides of the issue are explored before minds are made up.

Comment

Mostly to play Devil's advocate. I think the park has a good mix of natural and mixed use areas, and I'd like it to stay that way.
                              Let's get something straight... I'm not going for an 18 hole course! I'm trying to get alternate placements to relieve the area around the baskets. I'm trying to get signs so people don't get lost. I'm trying to get a kiosk with information so people know the rules of the park and know a little more about disc golf. And if I'm lucky, I'm trying to get 1-2 more holes to relieve congestion when there are tons of people playing at the same time. Scott, I know for a fact that I play this course way more than you and everyone else for that matter so I'm pretty sure I know more about it than you do. People like myself that play the course often would like some minor changes and I don't see the 'harm' in trying to achieve them.

Comment

Man.....Scott is such a "thinks he knows about Greenway Park but doesn't even live near the park freak". I think that is almost as bad as a "nature freak"!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X