X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Fun at the Grand Lodge!!!!!!!

We had our third doubles tournament at the GRAND Lodge tonight, and oh my goodness, it was sooooo much fun! okay, maybe it was so much fun because me and my partner, Lee, tied for 1st Place (good job, Lee!), but also the atmosphere is super, super friendly and casual and just really great. If you haven't been, please come...in two weeks from tonight...the second of September...we look forward to meeting you!!

peace threw disc golf,
    emmarose
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

OOPS!

Hey...thanks everyone who came out last night...

and, oh boy, this is a little embarassing, but...

there should not have been that playoff last night between me & Lee and Jeron & Nate...I miscounted our score...forgot a bogey we had, I think on number 5...so we really had a 48 and Jeron & Nate won outright with their 47.

Oopsie Daisy...

Comment

I am going to try my best to bring my son out in two weeks. It is a perfect size course for him and I am sure he would love the time with mom (he is only 8).

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Thing View Post
        I am going to try my best to bring my son out in two weeks. It is a perfect size course for him and I am sure he would love the time with mom (he is only 8).
        That's excellent...there are two young boys...maybe more like 10 or 12 or 14 (i'm pretty bad at distinguishing ages) who have come out and played in the tournament for the last two times...way cool. My dad sort of took them under his wing their first time around and now I think they're hooked. We really encourage the family aspect of this sport. I'm really looking forward to meeting you and your son

And hopefully in two weeks the bugs won't be so bad...it was pretty outrageous...some kind of crazy gnat hatch...at least they didn't bite...could have been on Animal Planet's World's Worst Swarms or whatever that show is.

peace threw disc golf,
        emmarose

Comment

Originally posted by frizbeerose View Post
          Hey...thanks everyone who came out last night...

and, oh boy, this is a little embarassing, but...

there should not have been that playoff last night between me & Lee and Jeron & Nate...I miscounted our score...forgot a bogey we had, I think on number 5...so we really had a 48 and Jeron & Nate won outright with their 47.

Oopsie Daisy...
          What's going on, don't they use scorecards out there? I am tempted by the idea of a casual tournament at a brewery, but NO SCORECARDS? That's a little TOO casual for my taste...
          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Yes, of course we use score cards, jumping to conclusions a little quickly, aren't we?

...it is only because of the score card that I was able to catch my mistake!
            Actually, it was the first thing i thought about when I woke up, checked the score card as my coffee was brewing, and on my first break at work today fessed up to my mistake.

I'm only not sure which hole it was because the score card is at home with my golf bag not here at work.

I do understand your skepticism and I am a little chagrined that I made us all out to be rank amateurs or something...

peace threw disc golf,
            emmarose

Comment

Sorry, I just assumed that with scorecards such an error would not have occurred. None of your groupmates questioned your score hole score as it was being recorded? Maybe you had one of those scorers who mumbles while walking to the next tee "everybody par that", instead of clearly saying on the next teepad:

scorer: "Mary?"
              Mary: "Three."
              scorer: "Three."

scorer: "Bill?"
              Bill: "Three."

scorer: "Marge."
              Marge: "Four."
              scorer: "Four."

scorer: "Ted?"
              Ted: "Three."

scorer: "Mary, Bill, Ted, Marge."

Comment

ummmm...maybe we are too casual for your taste

we didn't actually keep score like that (I know, I know... it's how you're supposed to do it...and maybe after this there will be some uproar from the other golfers to get us all on the same page as to how to do it), we just sort of assumed everyone was keepin' it honest.

However, if you do decide to come and play and if we get partnered up in a foursome, I will only have great appreciation for someone like you to teach me the in's and out's of all these rules, regs, and norms and stuff and things...
                the only time i've ever visited the pdga website i was overwhelmed with all the rules, rules, rules...I guess it has to be done, though, as not everyone is as honest (or good at math) as we would all like.

thanks for the input, treelove!

Comment

Originally posted by frizbeerose View Post
                  ummmm...maybe we are too casual for your taste

we didn't actually keep score like that (I know, I know... it's how you're supposed to do it...and maybe after this there will be some uproar from the other golfers to get us all on the same page as to how to do it), we just sort of assumed everyone was keepin' it honest.

However, if you do decide to come and play and if we get partnered up in a foursome, I will only have great appreciation for someone like you to teach me the in's and out's of all these rules, regs, and norms and stuff and things...
                  the only time i've ever visited the pdga website i was overwhelmed with all the rules, rules, rules...I guess it has to be done, though, as not everyone is as honest (or good at math) as we would all like.

thanks for the input, treelove!
                  A great way to learn all of the rules is to participate in a semi-causual weekly league like Tuesday Twos or Lunchtime League. Unfortunately, they are both coming to an end for the season.

Comment

On another note we might want to think about moving up the start time in two weeks to 5:30 pm to give us a little more light. Just thinking ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      A great way to learn all of the rules is to participate in a semi-causual weekly league like Tuesday Twos or Lunchtime League.

exactly...the more I play with more people the better my skills become and the more of the subtle nuances of the game become clear to me...and therefore, the more I enjoy golf...

Unfortunately, they are both coming to an end for the season.
                      I know...the sadness in a golfer's heart as we lose our precious daylight...

Comment

Originally posted by discdog View Post
                        On another note we might want to think about moving up the start time in two weeks to 5:30 pm to give us a little more light. Just thinking ahead.
                        Not a bad idea at all, amigo.

Comment

Actually, the PDGA rule book is tiny. For comparison purposes, take a look at the PGA rule book. Talk about overwhelming!

I recommend leaving a copy of the PDGA rule book next to your commode. You'll have it down in a matter of weeks!

Sorry about the thread drift...

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                            Actually, the PDGA rule book is tiny. For comparison purposes, take a look at the PGA rule book. Talk about overwhelming!

I recommend leaving a copy of the PDGA rule book next to your commode. You'll have it down in a matter of weeks!

Sorry about the thread drift...

Oh...don't be sorry...I love learning all this stuff...

I want to start playing in tournaments next season and so I really need to know all this stuff. It's going to be nerve wracking enough as it is for me, playing with all the people...I don't want to have to worry about making rookie mistakes and embarrassing myself re: rules...I'm sure my own natural goofiness will give me enough embarrassing moments...

and...I had just run out of good, next to the commode reading material...thanks, man!! You DGers are the best!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X