Current conditions? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Current conditions?

    I'll be in the area for work on Friday but done before noon and it looks like Dabney is within 20 miles of where I'll be. I haven't played Dabney before so I'm just looking for some general info on current course conditions, etc. I have read the very useful Course information here, as well as the DGR page. Any tips, pointers, reccomendo's?

  • #2
    Dabney is pretty easy to follow; printing a map won't hurt, but it's not strictly necessary. The only catch is that you won't necessarily know which pin placement is active, and the signs aren't helpful with that.

    I haven't heard any post-storm reports yet. Assumably there are quite a few branches down, but I think we'd have heard if there were major damage.
    Oregon disc golf map

    Comment


    • #3
      Dabney plays better in the winter, IMO, assuming there isn't any storm damage.

      A map will help isn't 100% necessary, but you'll find your way around a bit quicker if you have one.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Dabney plays better in the winter, IMO, assuming there isn't any storm damage.

        A map will help isn't 100% necessary, but you'll find your way around a bit quicker if you have one.

        Thanks Scott and Adam. This site sure makes it easy to set up a little side trip like this, one click shopping for directions, course info, maps and helpful advice from posters. Kudos to everyone!

        Tentatively I will be at Dabney at 12:30-ish Friday if anyone wants to join me for a round.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Dabney plays better in the winter, IMO
          ...as long as you have waterproof footwear. Of course, that's true almost everywhere around here.
          Oregon disc golf map

          Comment


          • #6
            I was out at Dabney yesterday, the 20th...

            There is a lot of wind damage at Dabney right now. Many trees have fallen and there is tree debris everywhere. To add to that, the wind blew the trash and recycling bins all over the place, emptying their contents throughout the course.

            Hole 10: Large tree down just behind the left basketplacement.
            Hole 17: Three large trees down about 15' in front of the tee pad, blocking the fairway pretty badly.

            Comment


            • #7
              played today in the beautiful sun...
              there was a mower running thru the course and moved pins
              between our first round and our second round, actually had to wait for her to move the pin to drive on one of them!
              cleaned up the leaves some
              and also made some areas more muddy. beware the slippery slopes.

              since theres a NEW #1 im going to use the NEW numbering system to describe the changes.

              Hole 9 -- pin has been moved back towards the tee by 30+ feet into open area to the right as shown on tee sign originally.
              (no more hidden behind trees though this makes it a bit easier, its a nice bird or ace potential now.

              hole 10 -- pin has been moved uphill and to the LEFT , in open area, up towards the tee pad for #11
              ( no more throwing thru a wall of trees. this makes it much more enjoyable but apparently not as challenging as we both landed close to the basket which never happened on the previous pin location due to multiple tree obstacles which seemed to plague nearly everyone

              oh and ill comment on #1 now that its here.
              we played one day then skipped one then the next time it was there!
              there were a couple people out there confused today so ill just say it
              NEW HOLE 1 is directly across from the middle parking lot
              the practice basket is back to the left from the tee...
              its a daunting drive thru the thicket and ive seen it eat a disc or two so far... so enjoy!

              though its more challenging than the old 18, which had a major bee's nest in a stump nearby that my friend hit with his drive, that was dangerous, and pretty funny. he only got stung a few times.

              hope that helps!

              Comment


              • #8
                also id like to say that ive played this course a few times and while i try to pick up trash as i play, it seems that theres more and more every time
                bottlecaps especially.
                so lets all try to keep it clean,. ... theres trashcans and pants have pockets.
                thanks

                Comment


                • #9
                  new reports from sunny dabney park!
                  as we were playing today
                  basket 3 has been moved to the peak of the hill just past the pond. super aceable.

                  basket 6 is now over the bridge in the grass, no longer nestled in the trees...just a bit further...

                  and basket 14 has been moved over the bridge, uphill and to the left (making it much trickier)

                  perhaps those who know the course well will know these secondary positions, but as a noob i find it helpful knowing what to aim at !

                  got my best score ever today a +6!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It'd sure be nice if they had "current placement" indicators on the signs out there. At least it's a little easier in the winter when the leaves are off most of the trees.
                    Oregon disc golf map

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Since I had my club, ODDGA to vote which course(Dabney vs Timber) to play for Winter Open on Feb 18th, 2012...and looks like Dabney will come out winner.

                      I haven't play Dabney since I was newbie which would be about 7 or 8 years ago and I don't remember the layout well but I have looked up on disc golf course review. It looks familiar to me but still would need help to go through the course. Those changes that are happening..will the course map will be updated or is it easy to follow from baskets to tees? Any information would be helpful for me to plan ahead for ODDGA Winter Open.
                      PDGA 38506
                      ODDGA 27
                      DDGA 176
                      2012 Beaver State Fling Women ADV Master

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Nichola View Post
                        Since I had my club, ODDGA to vote which course(Dabney vs Timber) to play for Winter Open on Feb 18th, 2012...and looks like Dabney will come out winner.

                        I haven't play Dabney since I was newbie which would be about 7 or 8 years ago and I don't remember the layout well but I have looked up on disc golf course review. It looks familiar to me but still would need help to go through the course. Those changes that are happening..will the course map will be updated or is it easy to follow from baskets to tees? Any information would be helpful for me to plan ahead for ODDGA Winter Open.
                        dabney plays pretty straightforward, and the alt pin placements are easy to find.

                        the only significant change is hole 18 has been removed, and a new 'hole 18' has been put in before the regular hole one. even though this looks logically like a new hole one, they are referring to it still as hole 18. so basically, you start on hole 18, then play 1-17. you'll figure it out when you're there. the new hole 18 is directly across from the parking lot, right by the practice basket.

                        there are more changes planned for holes 12-13 and 14-15, and when they're in (springtime?) the new numbering should make more sense.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by seanb View Post
                          dabney plays pretty straightforward, and the alt pin placements are easy to find.

                          the only significant change is hole 18 has been removed, and a new 'hole 18' has been put in before the regular hole one. even though this looks logically like a new hole one, they are referring to it still as hole 18. so basically, you start on hole 18, then play 1-17. you'll figure it out when you're there. the new hole 18 is directly across from the parking lot, right by the practice basket.

                          there are more changes planned for holes 12-13 and 14-15, and when they're in (springtime?) the new numbering should make more sense.
                          yes new signage would be helpful. i think everyone ive seen has been playing the new hole as #1.

                          its easy to see the pin placements from the tee during this time of year i think. helps to know where to look.... good luck its beautiful out there right now.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            suuuuuuper muddy out there right now...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by spectralmonkey View Post
                              suuuuuuper muddy out there right now...
                              much less of a mess there now
                              more enjoyable to play!!
                              bunch of new basket placements i havent seen yet.... cool

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X