X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter hole closures winter 2011-2012

Just a heads up that the rangers at Champoeg will be closing some (about half) of the holes during this winter of 2011-2012. Current rumor mill has holes 1-7 as the holes to be closed (baskets removed).

The thinking is that the grass will grow back under the holes in the winter. Not sure of the soundness of this approach, but I think that the rangers wishes and desires are to be respected. I suppose that they could just pull the course if they wanted to.

It seems as if alternate pin placements could be installed and used, but this is a heritage area, and so perhaps this is out of the question.

hmmm, interesting.

Do you have an idea of when this might happen?
    A group of us were just about to reserve a few cabins/yurts at Champoeg to play some golf there in mid November. If there will only be 7 or 8 playable holes, we'll have to reconsider.
    Last edited by bryan_luoma; September 25th, 2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

head for Stub, great new cabins, and 18 of the most challenging DG holes you'll find...
      educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_luoma View Post
        hmmm, interesting.

Do you have an idea of when this might happen?
        A group of us were just about to reserve a few cabins/yurts at Champoeg to play some golf there in mid November. If there will only be 7 or 8 playable holes, we'll have to reconsider.
        The ranger said that this will be posted in a week or two, but then again there is no real schedule. I would seriously doubt if this information will be available on the site where you reserve the cabins. Stub is a great course, but has some altitude so snow might be in the offering. The course is in the woods so this might not be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by pop View Post
          Stub is a great course, but has some altitude so snow might be in the offering.
          The highest point is about 1200' above sea level. Most days in the winter it'll be fine.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Due to the course layout and park accommodations, Champoeg was selected as a candidate for our PARP (private ace race party) scheduled for the weekend of 111111.

I just received official notice from the park coordinator that they will indeed be pulling baskets on November 1st. However, they will maintain an undetermined 9-hole layout throughout the winter.

-B

Comment

I just saw the closure announcement today on the kiosk by hole 1. Holes 1,2,5,6,7, and 8 will be closed on the 15th of November, with no listed date of reinstatement. I could say many things at this point, but I guess that I am happy that they did not close the whole course. It looks like they tried to keep 9 holes open, with at last some flow.

Pop

Comment

Photo of placard attached.
                Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

went to champoeg today and all 15 baskets are back in place. In case anybody was wondering.
                  "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Misquote of Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by M.Parker View Post
                    went to champoeg today and all 15 baskets are back in place. In case anybody was wondering.
                    Actually, I was. Thanks for the update. What is the ground like - still squishy?

Comment

fairways 1,3,4 were a bit squishy as usual this time of year. Nothing a little hop and a skip won't solve. I'm sure the right side of 7 is pretty gross but I didn't dare go that way. Grass was a bit long and I noticed a lot of trees that were gone from the last time I was there. Still needs more trash cans..... Or more people that play there to use them.
                      "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Misquote of Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I was going to go play there soon...

Originally posted by M.Parker View Post
                        fairways 1,3,4 were a bit squishy as usual this time of year. Nothing a little hop and a skip won't solve. I'm sure the right side of 7 is pretty gross but I didn't dare go that way. Grass was a bit long and I noticed a lot of trees that were gone from the last time I was there. Still needs more trash cans..... Or more people that play there to use them.
                        But seeing how you are stating publicly that you frequent this course I will be staying the hell away. I wish that park ranger would do his job and keep the riff raff away, or better yet make a one day exception on discharging of firearms and shoot you in the face, twice!

On that note i cant wait to ride to whistlers with you and watch your mood continously worsen as you move further and further behind me in the standings. I cannot wait for the GNO
                        Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

Just played today and the baskets are all in place. There is a downed oak on hole 9 fairway which poses a little obsticale and the marsh on 7 is filling in.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X