X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagg Lake progress

Thanks for ringing in, Flash. It sounds like you've done this before!

All of these things and more are on our list of potentials, especially the parking. If we move the course to a location where a lot already exists, that's an expense we don't have to incur and a task that we don't have to do. There are 2 other locations around the lake we're scouting as candidates too. Part of the business case will be that more disc golfers increases park usage. The other driving factor to relocate the course is the grass. With long grass, it's only a winter course, and there's no draw during the summer months.

Our relationship with WA county is pretty good right now. We'll be talking with them in 4-6 weeks when we have a firm idea what we want to say/propose.

Comment

I have been getting private messages on here and on Facebook from people interested in helping out once we get some work going. I will keep a list so we can send out invites to them once we get going. I'm sure we will be making a public notice as well. Thanks for the interest folks

Any one else want a personal invite, please feel free to message me.
      All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Not to change the subject, but I am without a car at the moment so i had to go to the Hillsboro library on the bus on Sunday. I took time to walk through the Port of Portland land on the way. Man, that is one big chunk of land. I think you could get 27 holes in there easy. Have you heard back from the Port?

Comment

One thing about Hagg Lake, is that now is a good time to play the course. The grass in the fields is short and the brush in the woods is down. Also there is no parking fee until some time in March, so its free to play.

Good to see people cooperating on this project. Hagg is still a great site for a disc golf course--beautiful land, great views of the lake and its big enough to handle a good size course. The idea to move the course (or put in another one) has a lot of merit if it means access to a parking lot and the ability to mow and maintain the course.

It is a bit hard to think about putting in the effort to improve the exisiting course if there's not adequate parking and the course can't be played most of the summer because of the long, long grass.

I'll be headed out there next week, maybe a couple times, to check out other sites and play the existing course again. If anyone wants to join me, let me know.

Garry

Comment

I am always down Garry, just need a ride from Hillsboro. Everything you just mentioned was discussed in our meeting, and are issues we are going to address before we make a good business proposal to the county.

Comment

Port of Portland property update

Originally posted by discdog View Post
              Not to change the subject, but I am without a car at the moment so i had to go to the Hillsboro library on the bus on Sunday. I took time to walk through the Port of Portland land on the way. Man, that is one big chunk of land. I think you could get 27 holes in there easy. Have you heard back from the Port?
              I've called the people there many times since Jan 24th when I started this; I've left messages a few times, but I've only talked to someone 3 times. The person I'm working with was sick for a while and still has to check with other stakeholders before they can make a decision. I think that's what the hold up is. I try to call every week. I left messages today. The person I'm working with has been good about returning my calls, but no progress is being made on their end so far. I'm still working it though.

Yes, it's a great property, and every time I drive past it, I want to walk through it too. I will soon enough.

Comment

If you want to play for free at Hagg Lake, I guess this is the last week to do it. They start charging $5 per car on the first Saturday in March.

Troy, I'll pm you here when I figure out what day i'm headed out there.

Comment

Sounds good Garry

Comment

Was hoping to make it out to Hagg to play and do some scouting this last week or this weekend, but no go

Comment

Originally posted by spindoctor View Post
                      I've called the people there many times since Jan 24th when I started this; I've left messages a few times, but I've only talked to someone 3 times. The person I'm working with was sick for a while and still has to check with other stakeholders before they can make a decision. I think that's what the hold up is. I try to call every week. I left messages today. The person I'm working with has been good about returning my calls, but no progress is being made on their end so far. I'm still working it though.

Yes, it's a great property, and every time I drive past it, I want to walk through it too. I will soon enough.
                      I am excited to hear what they have to say as this property is right by my office. There are several private courses out in Hillsboro/Beaverton but we are lacking anything other than pitch and put inside the city limits.

Some of us at work are pushing to have the company put in a nine hole course and we have the right land to make a very nice layout. Maybe there is a collaboration possible that could move things along. From the corporate view we are using employee health and wellness for justifying building a course.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherag View Post
                        I am excited to hear what they have to say as this property is right by my office. There are several private courses out in Hillsboro/Beaverton but we are lacking anything other than pitch and put inside the city limits.

Some of us at work are pushing to have the company put in a nine hole course and we have the right land to make a very nice layout. Maybe there is a collaboration possible that could move things along. From the corporate view we are using employee health and wellness for justifying building a course.
                        I have pointed out to Hillsboro Parks that there are 4 companies locally that have disc courses, reminding them of the popularity of the sport. In a meeting with them late last year, we discussed public/private partnerships for a course and we even talked about specific locations too. If your company is open to something like this, we should talk.

Comment

Ok. I talked to the Port of PDX today. They are still processing the request. There were 3 areas they needed to address:
                          1. FAA restrictions - they needed to confirm what could be done and what cannot be done on this property. This effort is still in progress.
                          2. Environmental concerns - there's a creek running along the eastern edge of this property; I think it's Dawson creek. They're having trouble getting everything they need in this area, so it may be a few more weeks.
                          3. Others uses - apparently, someone else (presumably from the Port of PDX) is checking into this lot too! If this is the case, disc golf will very likely lose.

All of this is good because it means they're giving disc golf here a fair shake. I'm not surprised this has taken 5 weeks. At this point, anything except "no" is totally acceptable, including waiting a few more weeks. She said she'd call as soon as she knows more. I'll continue to update progress here.

Comment

I did hear back yesterday from the Port of Portland about the property next to Costco in Hillsboro. They cited a number of issues before they said "No":
                            • Environmental concerns
                            • Re-purposing of the land for recreational use
                            • FAA concerns about bird strikes
                            I know, it's crazy! By the end of the conversation, I summed up their answer as "...it's just easier for you (the Port of PDX) to not do anything." They agreed.

I knew it was a long shot, and it doesn't hurt to ask. Disappointing, yes. I'll be directing my efforts towards another property in Hillsboro.

Comment