Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trozzle, thanks for the updates. What do you here about raising the water level of the lake? Is that still on the table? And if so, how do you think it will effect the current course lay-out?

Comment

I havent heard anything lately about the dam. Last i knew if it was going to be done, it would still be another 20 years or so. No immediate threat.
      All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Water levels in Hagg Lake

I think it's still in consideration. I contacted WA County and they said they're not sure, but they think its likely too. They also sent me here:

http://www.tualatinbasinwatersupply....scription.html

There are a couple different plans. I've emailed the project manager for the Hagg Lake effort. I should hear back pretty soon, and if I don't hear back, I'll call him. When I hear something, I'll post it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Trozzle!!! View Post
          Although the original course designer C.E. is now in Cali, The course is still being maintained (as much as we can) by myself and many others who were involved in the original development and install of Hagg. We do regular trash runs and course maintenance (clearing whats needed). We have been doing this for years and still do it. We all know it needs lots of work and I have been in contact with some who are very interested. Unless I hear different, the course is pretty much in my groups control. The land is of course County owned, but the baskets belong to us. If anyone is interested in working together on this, please message me here, or on FB. Troy Trozzle Grotte
          Sounds like we should join forces!

Comment

Water level at Hagg Lake

The short answer is there is serious consideration for raising the water level of the dam. Current thinking is to go up about 12 feet. No date is projected, but the timeframe being thrown around is 2025. I'd say this is a non-issue from a disc golfer's perspective there.

Their full response is here if you're interested. I had to call them to get the projected date.

The two options that are described on the website for raising Scoggins Dam were identified in 2006 when the project was preparing an Environmental Impact Statement. Since that time, concerns about a possible large earthquake off Oregon’s coast and dam safety have arisen. The Bureau of Reclamation has been studying the structure and identifying options for strengthening the dam. Meanwhile, two partners in the project - the City of Hillsboro and Tualatin Valley Water District – are considering other water supply sources (Willamette River). Clean Water Services as the project manager is still considering a possible dam raise, but a much small one about 12 feet which would need to be coordinated with Reclamation’s efforts to reduce the safety risk of the dam.

Comment

check your email spin

Comment

Originally posted by spindoctor View Post
                The short answer is there is serious consideration for raising the water level of the dam. Current thinking is to go up about 12 feet. No date is projected, but the timeframe being thrown around is 2025. I'd say this is a non-issue from a disc golfer's perspective there.

Their full response is here if you're interested. I had to call them to get the projected date.

The two options that are described on the website for raising Scoggins Dam were identified in 2006 when the project was preparing an Environmental Impact Statement. Since that time, concerns about a possible large earthquake off Oregon’s coast and dam safety have arisen. The Bureau of Reclamation has been studying the structure and identifying options for strengthening the dam. Meanwhile, two partners in the project - the City of Hillsboro and Tualatin Valley Water District – are considering other water supply sources (Willamette River). Clean Water Services as the project manager is still considering a possible dam raise, but a much small one about 12 feet which would need to be coordinated with Reclamation’s efforts to reduce the safety risk of the dam.
                Not sure how or if it affects the 12 foot water level rise, but around 2009-10 some federally protected species were also discovered in the park, and my understanding is that the presence of those species also decreases the likelihood of the project happening.

Comment

All I hope with Hagg is this... Holes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 16, 17, 18 aren't touched. All of those holes are great. Move hole 2 back to the original location and that hole once again becomes great as well!

Comment

We will keep that in our thoughts Bruce. I do prefer the old hole 2 as well. I myself have a few changes I have been thinking about for years, but never implemented.

Comment

Hole 7 would also be epic with a B location deeper and left, near the boarder of the cut grass on the slope side. We've talked about that often when out at Hagg, since we get out there 3 or 4 times a year minimum.

Comment

We are having a meeting today, in about an hour.

Comment

Hagg Lake Meeting

Troy, Amanda, Jason and I met on Sunday. We brainstormed ideas for improvements at the course. I learned a lot about the history of the course. To their credit and dedication, these 3 have used their own time, efforts, resources and money to maintain and improve this course.

Going forward, we're each going to do a few things before we get back together in a couple weeks. At that time, we'll finalize the list of improvements and our capacity to achieve them. We'll create a proposal and business case and take it to WA county.

If you're familiar with this course and/or have ideas, this would be as good a place as any to float them. We're logging all the ideas we see here. No guarantees, of course, but we'll consider all input as we draft the proposal.

Stay tuned. We'll update here as it unfolds.

Comment

I've only played the course three times, and not in a few years, but one thing I can say for sure is that the "meadow holes" were a LOT better when they hugged the edges of the trees. Moving them out into the open removed some of my incentive for going all the way out there.

Also, I love the forest holes — especially #14 and #9. (Yeah, #9 is aggravating as hell, but it's beautiful.)
                            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I wont go into much detail yet Adam, but baskets hugging the tree line, like they used to be, was one option that was discussed. You aren't the only one I have known to prefer the old positions. We will see what we can do.

Comment

Parking will always be an issue at Hagg unless the course build or re-design can happen around an existing parking lot. The best option is 1/4 mile further down the road. There is also a bathroom there. If the group involved looked at an out and back design that players could play as 9 holes or a complete 18 hole course would bring more of a destination feel to the park. The group should speak with Washington County about the use of the land near any of the parking lots on the west side of the lake.

You could always leave the original course if there is too much history there that individuals feel tied to and don't want to see changed, don't change it look to add more courses. Its really not that hard to secure funding for 18 baskets, speak with the Washington County Visitors Association. They helped to fund the Meadows Ridge course at Horning's Hideout and the course at LL Stub Stewart. They have grants they award yearly to help improve the tourism to the county. Stu's comment is clear, he would drive twice as far to play Milo or Trojan then go to Hagg Lake. I think these are the things the Visitors Association needs to hear to help the cause. Plus Hagg lake brings revenue with park entrance fees.
                                PDGA #25296
                                Stumptown #34

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X