Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, fortunately, I can't imagine the "aviation restrictions" will come into play. Ball-golf courses are a VERY common use of land adjacent to airports.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

falling airplanes form the sky

Have you played hole 4(?) at Adair ? One super hyzer bomb and you'll hit an airplane and bring it out of the sky!I've tried to play Hagg a couple times in the summer05? and 2011 and there wasn't much golf goin' on. Just alot of walkin, gettin lost and searchin. The land is epic for a super course, but the days I had been there, it was all overgrown and not very golfy. I didnt really get it... broke out the mtn bike and saved the day. Dont mean to be a grumpy, just waitin for others to tell it like it is, no one really has stepped up...it could be a great place if redesigned and maintained, which ,yes ,would take someones hard work and thoughtful design.(encouragement)
      Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
      Well, fortunately, I can't imagine the "aviation restrictions" will come into play. Ball-golf courses are a VERY common use of land adjacent to airports.

Comment

Originally posted by puttmin View Post
        Have you played hole 4(?) at Adair ? One super hyzer bomb and you'll hit an airplane and bring it out of the sky!I've tried to play Hagg a couple times in the summer05? and 2011 and there wasn't much golf goin' on. Just alot of walkin, gettin lost and searchin. The land is epic for a super course, but the days I had been there, it was all overgrown and not very golfy. I didnt really get it... broke out the mtn bike and saved the day. Dont mean to be a grumpy, just waitin for others to tell it like it is, no one really has stepped up...it could be a great place if redesigned and maintained, which ,yes ,would take someones hard work and thoughtful design.(encouragement)
        part of the redesign would probably be to move the course off of what i understand to be an elk sanctuary... hence the lack of mowing of the tall grass.
        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I played Hagg Lake this weekend

I was with some guys who play all over the state. This was their first time at Hagg. They said the property had incredible potential as a disc golf course; it has hills and flats, trees and open space, and water. They too noted without someone who knew the layout, it would be difficult to find all the holes.

Comment

Hagg Lake is going to be raised considerably. The course we see there now will mostly be gone when all is said and done. The powers that be have stated their intention to give us land to create a new course out there when the time comes so any thoughts on "improvement" should be saved for a later date, unfortunately.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Now, it is far from the westside (and not even Oregon) but last week when I was out at Bonneville I went for a walk between rounds. I parked by the baseball fields and walked around the park there on the shores of the Columbia and if there was ever a place more suited for a great disc golf course this would be it. Does anyone know the land of which I speak? A second course out that direction would get a lot more people traveling that way. Anyone know if that would be an avenue worth exploring?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Hagg Lake is going to be raised considerably. The course we see there now will mostly be gone when all is said and done. The powers that be have stated their intention to give us land to create a new course out there when the time comes so any thoughts on "improvement" should be saved for a later date, unfortunately.
                ... i don't believe that this is happening any more...
                "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Hagg Lake is going to be raised considerably.
                  Pretty sure that's off the table.

Comment

I talked to Washington County this week about Hagg Lake

The conversation went very well! They have been looking for someone to engage on this course for a while now. They have had some leadership changes there too, which is a good thing in our case. Here are some details and history as told to me from WA county. This is important because it gives us an idea of where they're coming from:
                    • The original group that installed the course was a disc golf club (maybe even just 1 guy who had some help; his name isn't relevant for this discussion) from Forest Grove. The club moved on and passed the baton to 2 others. They've been good about maintaining the course (some signs, trash, etc...) but WA country doesn't have much contact with them.
                    • Lots of disc golfers complain about the tall grass in the summer. This course is on an elk preserve, so the grass can only be cut occasionally. Bottom line is the tall grass isn't going to be cut any more frequently than it has been in the past. I don't believe this is a problem; see the next item.
                    • WA county is absolutely open to some course redesign (e.g., moving holes). Moving some holes from the middle of the field to the periphery and hugging the tree lines may help. I'm sure there are several other options here.

I committed to pursuing this further by coming up with a plan that I will run by them. This plan will certainly consist of multiple steps over many weeks and months. It will include vision and goals, a business case to help with funding and a timeline. I think it's highly dependent on how fast we can move and organize.

I will definitely need help! I'll be contacting people I know, and some I don't know as well to get this started. This is in its very early stages, but I think there's lots of potential and a huge opportunity here. I may fork this off onto another thread on this forum that is specific to Hagg Lake.

Comment

Way to go Jim! Nice work on this. Everyone agrees that Hagg is a great piece of property. Did they mention the issue of raising the water level in the lake? Some of us have heard that idea has basically been shelved.

Anyhow, I'm into helping with this. I used to live out there and have a real affinity for the place.

Garry

Comment

Originally posted by Garro View Post
                        Way to go Jim! Nice work on this. Everyone agrees that Hagg is a great piece of property. Did they mention the issue of raising the water level in the lake? Some of us have heard that idea has basically been shelved.

Anyhow, I'm into helping with this. I used to live out there and have a real affinity for the place.

Garry
                        Raising the water level has not come up in our discussions. We have exchanged contacts and I correspond with them regularly now. I'll ask for the official position on that and update the answer here so we can know all where we stand.

Comment

Thanks for all the follow up and work. I will routinely drive over 30 miles to play Timber, McIver, and N. Bonne, but I never go to Hagg. It would be nice to see this become a destination course. I think a little redesign, maintenance, and adequate parking is the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by PDX_Stu View Post
                            Thanks for all the follow up and work. I will routinely drive over 30 miles to play Timber, McIver, and N. Bonne, but I never go to Hagg. It would be nice to see this become a destination course. I think a little redesign, maintenance, and adequate parking is the ticket.
                            Stu, would you pay to park?
                            PDGA# 49616
                            Stumptown# 353
                            OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

Originally Posted by Sam View Post
                              Hagg Lake is going to be raised considerably.
                              Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              Pretty sure that's off the table.
                              Actually it is still very much on the table and because of water needs I'm sure it will be done in the future. The only real question is how high it will be raised. Hillsboro is now looking to add water from the Willamette, which will lower the height originally needed which was about 25 ft to about half of that.

Comment

Originally posted by spindoctor View Post
                                The conversation went very well! They have been looking for someone to engage on this course for a while now. They have had some leadership changes there too, which is a good thing in our case. Here are some details and history as told to me from WA county. This is important because it gives us an idea of where they're coming from:
                                • The original group that installed the course was a disc golf club (maybe even just 1 guy who had some help; his name isn't relevant for this discussion) from Forest Grove. The club moved on and passed the baton to 2 others. They've been good about maintaining the course (some signs, trash, etc...) but WA country doesn't have much contact with them.
                                • Lots of disc golfers complain about the tall grass in the summer. This course is on an elk preserve, so the grass can only be cut occasionally. Bottom line is the tall grass isn't going to be cut any more frequently than it has been in the past. I don't believe this is a problem; see the next item.
                                • WA county is absolutely open to some course redesign (e.g., moving holes). Moving some holes from the middle of the field to the periphery and hugging the tree lines may help. I'm sure there are several other options here.

I committed to pursuing this further by coming up with a plan that I will run by them. This plan will certainly consist of multiple steps over many weeks and months. It will include vision and goals, a business case to help with funding and a timeline. I think it's highly dependent on how fast we can move and organize.

I will definitely need help! I'll be contacting people I know, and some I don't know as well to get this started. This is in its very early stages, but I think there's lots of potential and a huge opportunity here. I may fork this off onto another thread on this forum that is specific to Hagg Lake.

Although the original course designer C.E. is now in Cali, The course is still being maintained (as much as we can) by myself and many others who were involved in the original development and install of Hagg. We do regular trash runs and course maintenance (clearing whats needed). We have been doing this for years and still do it. We all know it needs lots of work and I have been in contact with some who are very interested. Unless I hear different, the course is pretty much in my groups control. The land is of course County owned, but the baskets belong to us. If anyone is interested in working together on this, please message me here, or on FB. Troy Trozzle Grotte
                                All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X