New course on Portland's west side Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The airport/Costco land seems like a prime candidate. What else would the it be good for?

    Looking at the map, it appears like more than nine holes would easily fit. For example, put a basket & the next tee into the open area near the Airport & 48th intersection. I'd guess parking could be a problem if Costco's lot were used by discers.

    Heard any more about additional restrictions?

    Comment


    • #17
      Hagg Lake

      FYI,

      I ran into a guy last night that just retired from the water district in Washington County . The Hagg Lake Dam raising is dead. There were federal government conflicts. The water district options to get more H20 to Washington county is in limbo for the indefinite future. At least, until the world end later this month..

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by tmk View Post
        The airport/Costco land seems like a prime candidate. What else would the it be good for?

        Looking at the map, it appears like more than nine holes would easily fit. For example, put a basket & the next tee into the open area near the Airport & 48th intersection. I'd guess parking could be a problem if Costco's lot were used by discers.

        Heard any more about additional restrictions?
        This lot is excellent. We discussed the space across 48th (near Triquent) for parking too. Lots of opportunities for throwing into and out of the woods. The restrictions have to do with how much underbrush can be cut. This wooded area is VERY heavily wooded. If you've walked through it, it's pretty thick. To make a good course, brush and some trees would very likely need to be removed. This land isn't useful for building on since it's too close to the airport or something like that. Since it's owned by the Port of Portland, I'm trying to get in touch with someone there. Maybe HPR will fund the baskets if PoP will let us use the land. It's worth a try.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Flash View Post
          Hagg lake is an 18 hole course but its in need of some help to make it better and more user friendly. I think it presents the greatest opportunity to finish a solid 18 hole course on the west side. It could also lead to maybe a second course across the road.
          Solid is a good review. My favorite local course. Tee pads, back to original form, a restroom on fairway 16 right(easy to get to), someone to empty the trash cans, a bigger parking lot to the right, another restroom there. The best time of year to play is when the park is closed. The brush and grass are down. It's quiet. The lake is still. Me and Fritz had an eagle checking us out yesterday. Yes, fixing up Hagg and building more around it sounds like the best Idea to me as well.

          Comment


          • #20
            Hagg Lake, Milo McIver west.

            Comment


            • #21
              Hagg Lake

              I met with Garry H last night. We talked a lot about Hagg Lake. Several here and in my meetings have also mentioned that park, probably because of its size. So I'm going to pursue that opportunity.

              I've played it a few times over the years, and I think that to make it more of a draw for players of all abilities, it could use these improvements:
              • More parking
              • A and B tees (for less experienced players)
              • Signs
              • Rework or relocate some of the holes in the woods on the back side

              These in addition to some of the ideas from this thread should be enough to get a discussion going with WA County. I'll monitor this thread for other ideas that may come in too and keep a list.

              Comment


              • #22
                If the property can hold a 9 hole course, the use of duel teepads, duel basket location on each hole can be a very viable option to look at. Tee pads do not need to be all that far from each other to greatly vary the shot. I reference Woodmansee park in Salem as a Great example of this style course in small park area. If you haven't been this way to check it out in last year lots finished, all cement teepads (-1), signage, and generally well maintained trails and such.
                Just my two cents on how smaller property size can be used to it's maximum.

                Steve

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by spindoctor View Post
                  I met with Garry H last night. We talked a lot about Hagg Lake. Several here and in my meetings have also mentioned that park, probably because of its size. So I'm going to pursue that opportunity.

                  I've played it a few times over the years, and I think that to make it more of a draw for players of all abilities, it could use these improvements:
                  • More parking
                  • A and B tees (for less experienced players)
                  • Signs
                  • Rework or relocate some of the holes in the woods on the back side

                  These in addition to some of the ideas from this thread should be enough to get a discussion going with WA County. I'll monitor this thread for other ideas that may come in too and keep a list.
                  Why would you need to rework the course? Putting it back to it's original form sounds the best. I'd rather walk to a good hole than play an average one.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
                    Why would you need to rework the course? Putting it back to it's original form sounds the best. I'd rather walk to a good hole than play an average one.
                    while i agree with this sentiment i would have to argue that some of those holes with the weird ass walk outs left much to be desired...

                    hagg has a ton of potential... it's great that it's not being abandoned or dead in the water... would love to see these improvements (altho, despite it being over here on the west side, it's still a 45 minute drive from my house... )
                    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
                      Why would you need to rework the course? Putting it back to it's original form sounds the best. I'd rather walk to a good hole than play an average one.
                      No one's talking about reworking the whole course, but it's possible some holes would need to change in order to add parking, for instance. My role is to get WA county talking and thinking about it. When we get to the point where changes are likely, I'll bow out and we'll get someone else involved who's good at course design. Hopefully, they'll bring some consensus to the process. It's an awesome property and many people have commented that the course there could be improved.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Progress

                        I've finally heard back from the Port of Portland on the property adjacent to Costco in Hillsboro. Here's a link to see it on a map (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hillsb...n,+Oregon&z=16).

                        They said they'd look into letting HPR use it for a disc golf course and that they'd get back to us before Feb 1! They asked questions about cutting trees down. I said it would probably be necessary, but I'd back off of that if it meant not having a course there. They also mentioned aviation restrictions and not being able to put any structures on the property. I'll update here and on my web site (http://discspindoctor.org/news.html) when I hear back from them.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I guess it depends on how you define "structure."
                          Oregon disc golf map

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Wowzers! Good news. Let me know if I can help out. Love to get in on the course design.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                              I guess it depends on how you define "structure."
                              My guess is buildings.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by tmk View Post
                                Wowzers! Good news. Let me know if I can help out. Love to get in on the course design.
                                In all my meetings with HPR, space for a disc golf course has always come up as a limitation. My role is to help them in that area so they can focus on installing the course. If the Port of Portland says it's okay to put a course there, I'll turn everything over to HPR and let them take it from there.

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X