Public meeting about Harmony Park (Milwaukie) - February 26, 2009 @ 6:00 PM Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
    Adam,

I can't make it tonight, but bringing a few copies of THIS article might be a really good idea.

Jeff
    Great idea. I love how that article points out how skanky the park was before, and credits DG with its resurection.

Comment

Here's an article that says the same thing about Downriver in Spokane:

"The Downriver Disc Golf Course, at one time a convalescent home and then a garbage dump for some disreputable folks, has provided a local outlet for the growing sport of disc golf, re-established a haven for local wildlife, and provided Simmons with a growing number of customers."

And Don Dahvee Open Space in Monterey, CA:

"Without frequent use, the park has become a haven for the city’s homeless. What look like empty dimebags and shattered glass of broken 40-ounce bottles from malt liquor litter the park’s grassy terrain. The new course will bring added attention and use to the park. 'The whole community will benefit,' Allen says. 'There’s a negative element in the park, doing things they shouldn’t be doing. With increased traffic, we can help reduce or eliminate that negative element.'"
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Great idea. I love how that article points out how skanky the park was before, and credits DG with its resurrection.
        I still remember a little old lady walking up to us at Pier and commenting at how much she enjoys having the "frisbee" people in the park. She mentioned how she is no longer afraid to walk in the park because we're always out there.

How cool is that.
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
          I still remember a little old lady walking up to us at Pier and commenting at how much she enjoys having the "frisbee" people in the park. She mentioned how she is no longer afraid to walk in the park because we're always out there.

How cool is that.
          Pretty damn cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
            I've already sent that article to the powers-that-be... but it might not be a bad idea to pass some out to the skeptical general public as well. Anyone have a laser printer at their work?
            Yes like 15 of them!

I will try to bring some copies, but I better hurry the clock is ticking!
            PDGA #25296
            Stumptown #34

Comment

Had to work tonight. How'd the meeting go?

Comment

The good news: in the "Recreation" section of the room, they had a bunch of maps up showing different options for the future development of the park area. "Option 1" had around 20 acres shaded yellow and labeled "Disc Golf Course." That was pretty cool to see.

The bad news: from what I overheard, it seemed most of the people who commented didn't care much for the idea. It's going to be a tough sell to the general public.

The next step: they're going to put their maps on-line, and solicit feedback via their Web site. They said that on-line feedback will count just as much as the questionnaires we filled out by hand tonight. So we need EVERYONE to fill out that form, once they make it available.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

A gray hair here at our office seemed optimistic that a course was going in...he was attending on behalf of the community college his circle thought it to be a swell idea.

Did they say when they were going to post the forms?
                  Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

They didn't say, just that they're working on it. Assumably when it's up, it'll be at www.harmonyvision.org.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

They've finally put some materials on their Web site. Once I get the word on the most effective way for people to submit feedback, I'll start a new thread here with details. For now, check out this close-up of the "Option 1" map:

You like Option 1. Option 1 is wonderful and sustainable and will bring peace and joy to the Mt. Scott Creek Watershed....
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                        You like Option 1. Option 1 is wonderful and sustainable and will bring peace and joy to the Mt. Scott Creek Watershed....
                        Ooh, I do like option 1. These also do not appear to be the droids I am looking for.

Thanks for the update.

Comment

is there a link to website?
                          PDGA # 31451
                          2 Mini Aces
                          74 Aces
                          PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                          DISC GOLF OR DIE
                          BOB CABAL
                          DISCVANGO
                          JEFF ELLIOT
                          G-MAN
                          JORDAN LEWIS
                          JEFF HAGERTY
                          JAMES GARCELON
                          SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

See the link in post #24, the option maps and other info are atop the "documents" page.

Comment

I've created a new thread, specifically soliciting people's input, HERE.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X