Public meeting about Harmony Park (Milwaukie) - February 26, 2009 @ 6:00 PM Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public meeting about Harmony Park (Milwaukie) - February 26, 2009 @ 6:00 PM

From http://www.harmonyvision.org/:

Help Take the Vision to Reality!

Please join us for a PUBLIC WORKSHOP!

WHERE
    Harmony Community Campus, OIT Gym
    7726 S.E. Harmony Road

WHEN
    Thursday, February 26, 6 p.m.

HELP SHAPE THE FUTURE of the Harmony Community Campus area - education, recreation, transportation, economic growth. The vision for the Harmony Community Campus is to develop a model for sustaining the vitality of the economy, environment and community in Clackamas County and the region.

My contact at Clackamas County said this when I asked her what the format of the meeting would be:

It will be an open house. A short presentation then tables of info to
    look at and provide feedback. You don't have to stay the whole time,
    basicially stop in.

THIS is the best chance for the disc golf community -- both in the form of organized clubs and private citizens -- to step up and say "we desperately need a course in Southeast Portland/Northern Clackamas County"! Obviously, if you live in the Milwaukie area (OTH Bob, I'm lookin' at you), your opinion might count for even more, but EVERYONE should try to show up.
    Oregon disc golf map

FINALLY!

I will be there (and also happen to live in Milwaukie...for whatever that's worth). Glad something is finally moving with the project, even if it is just a meeting.

Comment

I also met with Harmony's landscape architect today at Leverich Park and gave her a tour; she had never seen a disc golf course before and wanted to know what it was like. I told her how the City of Vancouver wanted a course there to help with the transient issue, and pointed out that the course was co-existing peacefully with the walking/biking path and the creek. These are issues that Leverich has in common with Harmony, even if the land itself is quite different.

She said she thought disc golf would be a "good fit" for the Harmony area. How big of a course, and exactly where, will be mostly a function of how much landscape work (i.e., brush-clearing, path-building, etc.) the Parks District is willing to do. And she confirmed what's been my suspicion all along, that the biggest opposition will likely come from environmental activists (they border on environmental vigilantes, apparently) who want to see no recreational development at all, save a bird-watching path or two.

So, while not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination, it's definitely going to be on the table for discussion. A final master plan could be drafted by May.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Good work, Adam! Thanks for pushing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          From http://www.harmonyvision.org/:

Help Take the Vision to Reality!

Please join us for a PUBLIC WORKSHOP!

WHERE
          Harmony Community Campus, OIT Gym
          7726 S.E. Harmony Road

WHEN
          Thursday, February 26, 6 p.m.

HELP SHAPE THE FUTURE of the Harmony Community Campus area - education, recreation, transportation, economic growth. The vision for the Harmony Community Campus is to develop a model for sustaining the vitality of the economy, environment and community in Clackamas County and the region.

THIS is the best chance for the disc golf community -- both in the form of organized clubs and private citizens -- to step up and say "we desperately need a course in Southeast Portland/Northern Clackamas County"! Obviously, if you live in the Milwaukie area (OTH Bob, I'm lookin' at you), your opinion might count for even more, but EVERYONE should try to show up.

Geezzzzzz...........I try to keep a low profile and now this. See you at the meeting.

Bob

Comment

How about Stumptown? Maybe someone could mention this meeting at their tourney on Saturday?
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
              How about Stumptown? Maybe someone could mention this meeting at their tourney on Saturday?
              I'll mention it Saturday and as VP of Stumptown, I will also be representing the club at the meeting as well as a resident disc golfer.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
                Good work, Adam! Thanks for pushing this.
                Agreed. I stumbled upon info on this project almost a year ago and Adam was working on it back then too.

The more people to represent the need, the better.

Comment

I've been e-mailing them for 2.5 years now!
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I think I can make it this Thursday as well, it will all depend of the traffic situation from Beaverton.
                    PDGA #25296
                    Stumptown #34

Comment

I just found out the format of the meeting:

It will be an open house. A short presentation then tables of info to
                      look at and provide feedback. You don't have to stay the whole time,
                      basicially stop in.

So if you can't make it right at 6:00, NO problem. We just need as many people as possible to "provide feedback" at the table that has info about recreation & the park.
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

The meeting's tonight! Who's coming besides OTH Bob, PDXDuck, and maybe Flash?
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I am going to do my best to stop by. I'm doing a side job at home that is taking longer than expected though and I really need to get it finished.

Comment

Adam,

I can't make it tonight, but bringing a few copies of THIS article might be a really good idea.

Jeff
                            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I've already sent that article to the powers-that-be... but it might not be a bad idea to pass some out to the skeptical general public as well. Anyone have a laser printer at their work?
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X