X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason Philips View Post
    I am no fan of police but showing the public that we want to enforce the rules of the park may be a smart political move for the future.

who knows maybe they designate a % to the park/course itself
    "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

I think some visible and expensive enforcement of the rules (alcohol, littering, dogs) is probably the only way anything is going to change. Signs aren't much of a deterrent, but hefty fines can be.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

It's time to be pro-active for sure. I have professional experience in both public parks management and in managing private land that is open to the public for some activities but not for others, and I've been around disc golf and disc golfers a lot over the last several years. I've been down this road many times before. If you truly feel that this course will be at risk if this inappropriate behavior continues you should absolutely jump on it now.

The place is brand new and now is the time to establish expectations and set the tone and get the word out. Posts to this forum are a good start, but have almost zero effect on the activity at the park. I'd go to the people at the park with decision making ability and acknowledge the problem, remind them of your investment in the course and affirm that responsible disc golfers follow the rules but it'll take a group effort to get the general public to follow the rules.

Signs do get ignored, but without explicit, obvious signage it is hard to take a position that people should have known better. Encourage the Park to either install more signage, or let them know you'd like to fundraise for it. Signs are a start but until park staff, law enforcement, or volunteers are at the course enforcing the rules with some consequences for willfully brekaing them, the behavior will not stop. I would absolutely see what local law enforcement can do, and encourage the Parks staff to do the same.

You guys have done so much work, it would truly be a shame to have another course ruined by the shitbirds who unfortunately plague our sport. Bring the hammer down now.

Comment

Park Management

I don't always think the Narc method is cool, but to avoid any physical confrontations, you could always snap a picture and put it on the Web and find out who these people are..maybe they will get the message if enough people give them grief about it.

Comment

I plan to bring a spare set of bags (Trash/Recycle) and pick any trash up I see. I will take it home and deal with it there. Additionally I plan to shame whoever I see breaking the rules, even my closest DG buddies will catch my wrath if they break the rules here. Too many hours, too much blood/sweat/blackberry scars from all of us to let this slide. PLEASE DON'T RUIN THIS!
            PDGA# 49616
            Stumptown# 353
            OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

I think it is pretty obvious that the majority of people here understand that we are guests at Blue Lake Park and also the importance our conducting ourselves as such. We all just need to politely spread the word to people who might not get it yet.

With that said, we are ordering a number of additional signs for the course and we will get them installed as soon as they're completed.

Jeff
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Hagerty,
                Agreed, unfortunately one thing I do poorly is stay politely quite. I'm sure you know that already by now.
                PDGA# 49616
                Stumptown# 353
                OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

I was out there again yesterday and threw easily my worst round yet. I was all over the course. 4 rounds here and a round at Pier since this place opened have worn my throwing arm out. So many blackberry scartches....

There are now trashcans/recycling out there. Between 8/9 and between 16/17. Possibly one other place that I am forgetting. I also saw parks employees on golf carts emptying the cans so hopefully their presence will help curb the litter/alcohol problems. Parks workers/rangers helping enforce rules is a fine idea. City police to enforce a park rule? No thanks.

Many of the pads have been removed prepped for new ones. jdinteg, are you saying that the old pads were causing the slippery dust on the tops, not the gravel? I too think the gravel skirt is a good idea to help with traction in the winter, I just figured that it was the source of the dust and that it needed to be larger.

Comment

Originally posted by fernhillphil View Post
                    I was out there again yesterday and threw easily my worst round yet. I was all over the course. 4 rounds here and a round at Pier since this place opened have worn my throwing arm out. So many blackberry scartches....

There are now trashcans/recycling out there. Between 8/9 and between 16/17. Possibly one other place that I am forgetting. I also saw parks employees on golf carts emptying the cans so hopefully their presence will help curb the litter/alcohol problems. Parks workers/rangers helping enforce rules is a fine idea. City police to enforce a park rule? No thanks.

Many of the pads have been removed prepped for new ones. jdinteg, are you saying that the old pads were causing the slippery dust on the tops, not the gravel? I too think the gravel skirt is a good idea to help with traction in the winter, I just figured that it was the source of the dust and that it needed to be larger.
                    The concrete was mixed incorrectly and it was crumpling causing the dust. Jeff Hagerty took care of it and parks is re-pouring the pads.
                    PDGA #25296
                    Stumptown #34

Comment

• Thay where out there today re pouring then and Thay do look nice I just wish people would not scratch there tag in the tee pads there was one who I know the guy and I thought he was better than that I will be haveing words with himwhen I see him next on a good note I did not lose a disc

Comment

• Originally posted by murray the brit View Post
                        Thay where out there today re pouring then and Thay do look nice I just wish people would not scratch there tag in the tee pads there was one who I know the guy and I thought he was better than that I will be haveing words with himwhen I see him next on a good note I did not lose a disc
                        Oh, you must be talking about the idiot who calls himself "Rage" who carved his name into the teepad. Well, at least we do know he is a Rockwood local. Hopefully, someone can "talk" some sense into the fool.

Well folks, we tried to erase the names of every moron who wrote their name in the concrete, but it felt like they were adding them faster than we could erase them. We fought hard to get those bad pads replaced and this is what people do. I can't even begin to tell you how disappointing it was to see fellow disc golfers vandalizing the course.
                        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

• Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                          Oh, you must be talking about the idiot who calls himself "Rage" who carved his name into the teepad. Well, at least we do know he is a Rockwood local. Hopefully, someone can "talk" some sense into the fool.

Well folks, we tried to erase the names of every moron who wrote their name in the concrete, but it felt like they we're adding them faster than we could erase them. We fought hard to get those bad pads replaced and this is what people do. I can't even begin to tell you how disappointing it was to see fellow disc golfers vandalizing the course.
                          It just makes me want to puke! That is so disrespectful to all the people who worked so hard to get this course in the ground.

Cindy
                          Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                          2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                          Stumptown #176
                          PDGA #37716

Comment

• Originally posted by Bullseye View Post

Well folks, we tried to erase the names of every moron who wrote their name in the concrete, but it felt like they were adding them faster than we could erase them. We fought hard to get those bad pads replaced and this is what people do. I can't even begin to tell you how disappointing it was to see fellow disc golfers vandalizing the course.
                            oh, for heaven's sake. just WHO do these people think they are? if they had hand poured the tees (#8 at meadow ridge comes to mind) then i can see that it might be appropriate... but really?

i am very disappointed.
                            "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                            Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

• SHITBIRDS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                                SHITBIRDS!
                                Migrating north this time of year.
                                Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X