X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible new course in Lakeview - 1st one in Lake County

Hey all you plastic flatballers, long time...

Rumours of my demise are/were only somewhat exaggerated. I've been hiding out down in the "Oregon Outback" since 2005. Needless to say, there isn't much (anything) in the way of disc golf within a hundred miles from Lakeview.

I hope to change that soon.

I've been meeting with the Bullard Canyon Planning Committee (an offshoot of the Lakeview Town Council) and have proposed the addition of a disc golf course in the Bullard Canyon area (directly across from the newly installed gun range.)

Bullard Canyon is just a mile or two outside of town limits and offers over 2200 acres of wild, somewhat rough, hilly terrain that is just begging for a couple disc golf courses. This endeavor, as anyone who has ever approached any government body to get a course installed, is often a tedious and somewhat lengthy process, however things are finally beginning to fall into place.

My first proposal was rejected (Booth State Park) by the OPRD. Second proposal went to the Town of Lakeview and is currently being considered (favorably.) In fact, I've been given the go-ahead to lay out the inital 9 hole design. The intial 9 holes will be designed with beginning players in mind, as most of Lakeview has never even heard of disc golf. Course will be relatively short but still quite technical, with lots of terrain variation and a few water holes (hole 3 tees from atop the dam.)

With the help of Medford disc golfer, Bob Chard, the inital course has been laid out and a map of the design is being presented to the BC Planning Committee this week.

Once the initial course is in and established, plans for a much L-O-N-G-E-R course will follow. Afterall, we have over 2200 acres available. When the time comes to build that one, any and all adivice, input, suggestions and ideas along with volunteer labor will be most welcome. And, as a special side note to the X-Man, THERE ARE NO BLACKBERRIES ANYWHERE ON THE ENTIRE 2200 ACRES!

With any luck, we'll be adding (at least) one more course to the (South)Central Oregon map later this summer.

I'll post updates as things progress...

glad to hear your still with us.....

keep up the good work
    "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

I do believe that Summer Lake Hot Springs has some homemade baskets and a very rudimentary course. Speaking with them about improvements might yield some great results. I know Paisley is not far from Lakeview.
      "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart Snell View Post
        Rumours of my demise are/were only somewhat exaggerated. I've been hiding out down in the "Oregon Outback" since 2005. Needless to say, there isn't much (anything) in the way of disc golf within a hundred miles from Lakeview.
        Bart,

So glad to hear from you. Hope you're enjoying the rural life down south.

Congratulations on your Oregon DG Hall of Fame induction! You are most deserving.
        You were one of the leaders when I started playing back in 1998. Helping install courses and most importantly running the ODSA forum.
        Without the forum Oregon golf would be years behind where it is now.

Thanks Bart for all you've done (and continue to do)!!

Comment

Hey Jeff, good to hear from you, too - and thank you.

Yes, life in Lakeview is good, once you get used to the 'LATSOL' factor (Life At The Speed Of Lakeview.) It's definitely different. Best part: no traffic lights... heh, no traffic either, for that matter.

Also, to anyone interested; I contacted Duane at Summer Lake and he said they had some posts in the ground a while back but they've been removed, although another course might be something he'll consider in future plans.

Thanks again Jeff - looks like you jumped right in yourself! Good going!

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
          Bart,

So glad to hear from you. Hope you're enjoying the rural life down south.

Congratulations on your Oregon DG Hall of Fame induction! You are most deserving.
          You were one of the leaders when I started playing back in 1998. Helping install courses and most importantly running the ODSA forum.
          Without the forum Oregon golf would be years behind where it is now.

Thanks Bart for all you've done (and continue to do)!!
          Last edited by Bart Snell; July 25th, 2012, 07:21 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Bart Snell View Post
            Also, to anyone interested; I contacted Duane at Summer Lake and he said they had some posts in the ground a while back but they've been removed, although another course might be something he'll consider in future plans.
            I travel through about once a year on my way to Burning Man. Summer Lake is really wonderful and very supportive of different cultures. Would be really nice to see them put something in out there. I can only imagine a wicked 18 followed by a soak.
            "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

Update October 2012:

The proposal to install a disc golf course (in this location within the Bullard Canyon) has been declined by the BC Planning Committee. Another area (close to town) was mentioned and may be looked at (for its disc golf potential) next spring.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
              Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X