X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Lake Park

For those of you who were unable to attend the Stumptown Christmas Party this was one of our big announcements...

Blue Lake Park has been funded!!!

Read about it here!

Proposed Course Design

As soon as we have a little more information on the actual schedule, we will posting more information. One thing is certain, we will definitely be putting the shout out for help at the many work parties that will be required to make this happen.

Many thanks go out to the following members of the disc golf community who have been instrumental in moving this project forward.

Dave Feldberg (Course Designer), Tyler Christensen, Carl Thorne, Next Adventure (Bryan Knudsen) , Stumptown Disc Golf and anyone else who has helped along the way.

I don't know about you, but this makes me very happy indeed.

I can't wait!

Jeff Hagerty
    Stumptown Disc Golf
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

the proposed design looks pretty solid.

Comment

Allright! Great article, by the way. Portrays a good image for disc golf.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
        For those of you who were unable to attend the Stumptown Christmas Party this was one of our big announcements...

Blue Lake Park has been funded!!!

Read about it here!

Proposed Course Design

As soon as we have a little more information on the actual schedule, we will posting more information. One thing is certain, we will definitely be putting the shout out for help at the many work parties that will be required to make this happen.

Many thanks go out to the following members of the disc golf community who have been instrumental in moving this project forward.

Dave Feldberg (Course Designer), Tyler Christensen, Carl Thorne, Next Adventure (Bryan Knudsen) , Stumptown Disc Golf and anyone else who has helped along the way.

I don't know about you, but this makes me very happy indeed.

I can't wait!

Jeff Hagerty
        Stumptown Disc Golf
        Great article, great layout! Looks like a fun monster. Congratulations to everyone involved and thank you.

Comment

Will there be short/amateur tees?
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
            Will there be short/amateur tees?

The greater Portland area already has a large number of amateur level courses in the area, and very few pro level, so the initial objective for Blue Lake is a professional level course.

With that said, there will most likely be amateur tees in the future.
            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
              The greater Portland area already has a large number of amateur level courses in the area, and very few pro level, so the initial objective for Blue Lake is a professional level course.
              Well then this sentence in the Metro press release is simply false: "The course design creates a layout appropriate to both beginners and experienced professionals."
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Well then this sentence in the Metro press release is simply false: "The course design creates a layout appropriate to both beginners and experienced professionals."
                Looking a gift horse squarely in the mouth. Well done!

Actually, in all honesty the course is just as playable by ams as pros. They just throw the discs a few more times.

We clearly can't please everyone.

Comment

It bothers me because Blue Lake Park is a very popular place, and it could potentially expose a lot of newbies to disc golf. If this is their first experience with the sport, it may seem ridiculously frustrating, and it's not going to encourage them to return. (How many throws will it take a first-timer to go 974 feet?)

I wish there were either short tees installed from Day 1, or a 9-hole family-friendly pitch-and-putt course squeezed somewhere into that 70 acres.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Vance and Rockwood are both really close to Blue Lake. Why not just put up a sign that directs newer players there?
                    Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

Based on the number of beginners that seem to love Milo, I think they'll love Blue Lake. It has always surprises me when I meet a beginner and he says that his favorite course to play is Milo.

I think Blue Lake's layout is fairly beginner friendly. There aren't any 300' water hazards or anything like that.

Comment

After watching and contributing to this thread through out its life. I have to say, yes we need a gold tee course in the Portland Metro area and there are enough am/pitch put courses already.

Comment

It bothers me because Blue Lake Park is a very popular place, and it could potentially expose a lot of newbies to disc golf. If this is their first experience with the sport, it may seem ridiculously frustrating, and it's not going to encourage them to return. (How many throws will it take a first-timer to go 974 feet?)

I wish there were either short tees installed from Day 1, or a 9-hole family-friendly pitch-and-putt course squeezed somewhere into that 70 acres.
                          I'm sorry it doesn't sync up with your desires, but from day one the primary objective at Blue Lake has been for it to be world-class course, not a pitch & putt. Yes, there is a possibility some people might be a little discouraged by the difficulty of the course until the short pads are installed, but I'm sure a lot of people will get a kick out of seeing the best players in our area shredding this new course.

One thing I do know for certain is that just because a course is long or difficult does not mean people of all skill levels will not play it. Milo McIver is a huge course and its a tough course as well, and that course gets a lot of use, from competitive players and casual players alike.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaemes View Post
                            After watching and contributing to this thread through out its life. I have to say, yes we need a gold tee course in the Portland Metro area and there are enough am/pitch put courses already.
                            Jaemes,

Good to see you are still following this project. I remember talking with you about it at that frozen Fairview City Hall meeting. Last I had heard you busted up your leg or something... I hope you're all healed up and ready to go (to a work party

Jeff

Comment

How many throws will it take a first-timer to go 974 feet?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X