Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eco Park North - Canby, Oregon

What:
    The City of Canby, Oregon has approved a 12 hole course for the north end of Eco Park. The course is designed with the intermediate player in mind, but will be playable by beginners, as well as being enjoyed by more advanced players. Nine of the twelve holes are fairly heavily wooded while the other three are in an open field. The terrain is predominantly flat, with a little bit of undulation to add some variety to the greens. The holes are mostly on the shorter side in the mid 200s with a couple holes under 200 and a couple over 300.

When:
    Construction on the course began in October and has mostly consisted of the removal of invasive Himalayan blackberry bushes and other unwanted underbrush. As of writing this, the fairways are approximately 60% cleared. I estimate there is about a month worth of clearing left before we can drop anchors in the ground. The anchors and baskets have already been purchased and are being stored in a warehouse until the course is ready. We should be able to put the baskets into the ground sometime in January, weather permitting.

After the baskets are in, we'll continue with the fine tuning of the fairway shaping as we will also play the course from the suggested tee pad locations. After a few weeks of playing from the suggested pads, we'll finalize the pad locations and begin work on the 12 pads. The pads will be stone-paver pads.

By spring, all the pads will be in, the fairways will be finished, we'll get all the signage done and have an official "Grand Opening".

I had a work party in the works, but was unable to make it happen due to some unforeseen circumstances. I would like to get another work party together for after the holidays when my schedule loosens up a bit. I'll keep everyone informed as things develop. Coincidentally, I can't put together an official work party for this weekend, but I am planning on heading out there to work on Saturday. I know Team Golf is going on, but if any non-TGers wanna come help out, that'd be rad. I'll be working on brush removal and clearing out some debris that are on the fairways. Let me know if you're interested and we can setup a schedule.

Cheers Golfers!
    RGwillim
    Last edited by nayr; November 28th, 2011, 02:09 PM. Reason: typo

How will three holes be in an "open field"? In aerial photos, the park looks 100% wooded.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Adam,

The land for the course is north of the city shops and waste water plant. Directly between it and the river. The field adjacent the forested area to the east has three holes in it.

Rgwillim

Comment

Ah, gotcha. So you weren't kidding when you said "north end"!
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Yeah. The positive side is that that chunk of land is not being used by any other activity what-so-ever. We won't have any issues with walkers, dog people, etc thinking we're "invading" their park. The negative side is that there is a 1/4-1/3 mile walk from the parking lot to the course. The walk, while a bit annoying, will also keep the course a little more serene, I'm hoping.

Comment

Do you know anything about the "two proposed parking lot expansion designs for Eco Park?"
            They were mentioned at the 19 Oct 2011 City Council meeting.

http://www.ci.canby.or.us/CityGovern...es10-19-11.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Vector_2008 View Post
              Do you know anything about the "two proposed parking lot expansion designs for Eco Park?"
              They were mentioned at the 19 Oct 2011 City Council meeting.

http://www.ci.canby.or.us/CityGovern...es10-19-11.pdf
              As far as I'm aware, the parking lot expansion(s) that the document is referring to would just add capacity to the existing parking lot. Probably adding spaces for another 8-10 cars? I don't know anything for certain, though. Apply grains of salt accordingly.

Comment

so are all the work party's gonna be on Sat's?

oh yea call me
                "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NWDiscer View Post
                  so are all the work party's gonna be on Sat's?

oh yea call me
                  Crap! Sorry Scott. When can I call you? I don't wanna wake you up if you're working graveyard.

Not all the work parties will be on Saturday. I'm open to working on Sunday too. The issue is that the rental place isn't open on Sunday through the winter, and most of the work lately has involved renting some equipment.

I'd be willing to go back out there this Sunday if you're interested!

Comment

Originally posted by nayr View Post
                    Crap! Sorry Scott. When can I call you? I don't wanna wake you up if you're working graveyard.

Not all the work parties will be on Saturday. I'm open to working on Sunday too. The issue is that the rental place isn't open on Sunday through the winter, and most of the work lately has involved renting some equipment.

I'd be willing to go back out there this Sunday if you're interested!
                    nope its swing not grave 3pm till we are done usually 11ish Sun.-Thurs. so anytime after 8ish is fine.

i just got back from an quick dog walk out there and was able to find 2 holes staked out they looked nice.

Is there a prelim. map to look at, i saw Adam say something about a map.

Comment

I was just looking at the vicinity on Google Maps.
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I have a map, but some things have changed since I drew it out. You want to meet out there tomorrow morning? I could meet you in the parking lot around 8am.

Comment

Originally posted by nayr View Post
                          I have a map, but some things have changed since I drew it out. You want to meet out there tomorrow morning? I could meet you in the parking lot around 8am.

well yes i would have except i didnt go online last night after work....

five03-five five0-2769

Comment

Ryan Gwillim is putting a call out for a work party this Saturday the 10th come hell or high water. Here are some objectives againÖ

Install remaining anchors (5 more to get all 12 holes and practice basket). If we get through this quickly, we can also install some of the alternate pin anchors.
                            Clear Hole 1 tee and Practice basket area. Iíll hit it with a chainsaw, then we need to have ppl picking up the debris so that we can then run the brush mower through.
                            Hole 4 has about 20 minutes worth of brush mowing left to finish the fairway
                            Hole 11 needs some blackberry clearing on the right side of the green ( ~1 hr w/ brush mower)
                            Iíll be spending the majority of the day with a chainsaw working on hole 12ís fairway
                            Brush mowing on holes 9 and 8, will be really easy but a little time consuming
                            Remove ivy from trees along fairways and near tees and baskets

If we get through all of this, we can start leveling the tees under the mats. If youíre able to come, please let me know so that I can have an idea of what to expect. Bring gloves and standard work clothes. Also, please invite your friends.

Location: At the parking lot where NE Territorial Rd and N Molalla Forest Rd meet. If you show up late and no one is around, the course is about 1200' down the walking path near the parking lot.

If you are planning on making it, please shoot Ryan a message at ryan (at) fireflydiscgolf.com. Yeah, that is an @ sign.

Cheers,

Ryan

So Ryan and myself will be out there today Wed. the 7th by 4:00 digging the anchor placements that are still needed. If you wanna come out shoot him an email and let him know.

or post it here

Comment

So when is the "Grand Opening"? I'm very excited about this course, and would love to help if you need it.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X