X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
    Yes, I am aware of what the article says, I posted it here. Yes, we know that baskets almost everywhere are tagged. It's still against the law, bad for disc golf, stupid, and ugly.

By the way, Rist is wrong when he says "If you get one, you usually sign the basket". The huge majority of people who get aces do NOT sign the basket. Period.

If Mr. Rist owns those baskets he can do what he wants. I definitely respect the work he did to get the course installed! If he doesn't own the baskets I am pretty sure the City wouldn't support the tagging. Basket tagging is NOT cool or a good thing to do.
    Mr Rist did build the baskets himself, but he also donated them to the park. I agree with the last post about signing the disc. You're right, the majority of people I know don't sign the baskets, a few do and I don't really care either way. I stand corrected now that I know so many people are offended by a name and date on a basket. Maybe if more courses put up "ace poles" like the one at The Grove in Cottage Grove people would be less inclined to sign the basket. Matter of fact, I'm gonna get one down at Wennerberg to maybe spare those nice new baskets some sharpie.

Comment

Originally posted by Drymouth View Post
      Mr Rist did build the baskets himself, but he also donated them to the park. I agree with the last post about signing the disc. You're right, the majority of people I know don't sign the baskets, a few do and I don't really care either way. I stand corrected now that I know so many people are offended by a name and date on a basket. Maybe if more courses put up "ace poles" like the one at The Grove in Cottage people would be less inclined to sign the basket. Matter of fact, I'm gonna get one down at Wennerberg to maybe spare those nice new baskets some sharpie.

Comment

I played the course 6 times in the past few days and I really enjoyed it. It reminds me alot of Westmoreland in Eugene, except a little bit easier. I didn't see any signings on the baskets, haha.

Comment

I played here and loved it, it was a great course and will play it when ever I am out that way. I hit the basket on hole 2 here at Wennerberg with a nice lefty hyzer around a tree, a few inches higher and I would have gotten an ACE with my Aerobie Sharpshooter #3 Putter and with those few inches higher, I would have signed my disc and the basket... I love seeing all the previous aces, if they are written cleanly, but a name and date don't bother me one bit. This might be controversial , but I don't think it is vandalism. The idea of an Ace Pole is great and that would solve any problems. And trust me, when it comes to course cleanliness I am a freakin Nazi trash, graffiti, dog crap, cig butts, bottles, ect. pisses me off, I want beautiful courses but I don't think signing the basket fits here as defacing the course's beauty. This is my personal opinion. Much love to the DG community.
          If you throw just for fun, you wait for the sun.:yay:
          But if you love the game, who cares if there is rain!!!:trophy:

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Morris View Post
            And trust me, when it comes to course cleanliness I am a freakin Nazi trash, graffiti, dog crap, cig butts, bottles, ect. pisses me off,

I want beautiful courses but I don't think signing the basket fits here as defacing the course's beauty.
            I think this qualifies as a new definition of irony, a nazi who claims to hate graffiti, but doesn't think it applies to graffiti on baskets.
            Obviously works, or worked, for military intelligence...
            educate your thinking

Comment

This might be controversial but I don't like carrying empty cans of beer in my bag so will it be ok for me to just leave them on top of the baskets when I visit this new course. Everybody does it so I figure it must be ok. I've seen it at almost all the courses I play (including Bob hornings sports bar).

Comment

I would have signed my disc and the basket... I love seeing all the previous aces, if they are written cleanly, but a name and date don't bother me one bit. This might be controversial , but I don't think it is vandalism... when it comes to course cleanliness I am a freakin Nazi... trash, graffiti, dog crap, cig butts, bottles, ect. pisses me off, I want beautiful courses but I don't think signing the basket fits here as defacing the course's beauty... This is my personal opinion.
                No doubt it is the personal opinion of the people leaving trash, cig butts, bottles, dog crap and doing all the other grafitti that what they are doing is also okay, and it doesn't bother them one bit. I imagine the people who steal baskets, break tree limbs, and smash glass on disc golf courses also aren't bothered by what they do.

Doesn't make it right. Grafitti is vandalism is grafitti, whether it bothers you or not. It's against the law, against park rules, and makes disc golfers look bad.

Comment

i think regardless of sentimental feelings about the "tradition" of tagging baskets in disc golf (i put that in quotes because i personally don't think it's a tradition... those of us who have played the sport for many many moons seem to be the ones who do not support tagging, it seems to me tagging is sort of thing the newbies have spawned) we owe it to the sport to keep our reputation as unsullied as possible. scribbling on public property doesn't do anything to impress the general public. if we want more courses in more parks and more attention and growth we are going to have to deport ourselves in a manner that deserves it.

oh, and besides, i totally do not see the point...
                  "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                  Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                    if we want more courses in more parks and more attention and growth we are going to have to deport ourselves in a manner that deserves it.
                    This is a good point and I am all about new courses going in, from now on any ace I get (few and far between) the disc is the only thing getting signed, plus I had no clue it was illegal, I assumed it was ok but you know what assume means... the veterans have swayed me, I always have been apart of park clean-ups and work days but until recently I thought basket signing was ok, but not anymore, thank you guys and sorry for defacing the parks we love so much...

Comment

This is a good point and I am all about new courses going in, from now on any ace I get (few and far between) the disc is the only thing getting signed, plus I had no clue it was illegal, I assumed it was ok but you know what assume means... the veterans have swayed me, I always have been apart of park clean-ups and work days but until recently I thought basket signing was ok, but not anymore, thank you guys and sorry for defacing the parks we love so much...
                      ... yeah... maybe the real reason i'm down on tagging baskets is 'cause i never get the chance to do the tagging... i've only had 3 in my whole career...

(... only 3 on baskets anyway...)

p.s. good on ya', matthew morris

Comment

@Emmarose, you so eloquently put what my snide remark was equating (the idiocy of tagging baskets). I will try to refrain from being a pot stirring ass.

Matthew, It takes a wise man to see the error in their ways and to change your sentiments about the practice of tagging baskets says a lot for you as a person. Thank you for that.

It is great to see some civil conversations helping change peoples perspective (myself excluded) on certain practices that do show disc golf in a bad light to the general public. It is this kind of banter and solution that WILL help grow the sport we all love.

Comment

Originally posted by loki View Post
                          @Emmarose, you so eloquently put what my snide remark was equating (the idiocy of tagging baskets). I will try to refrain from being a pot stirring ass.

Matthew, It takes a wise man to see the error in their ways and to change your sentiments about the practice of tagging baskets says a lot for you as a person. Thank you for that.

It is great to see some civil conversations helping change peoples perspective (myself excluded) on certain practices that do show disc golf in a bad light to the general public. It is this kind of banter and solution that WILL help grow the sport we all love.
                          oh, we all like to stir the pot and poke the bear sometimes!!! me included... i actually asked a moderator to ban me a couple weeks ago for getting snotty but was totally denied... no self imposed banning, i guess... sheesh...

... good on you, too.

p.s. i kinda liked your post... it was snide so i could be eloquent

Comment

Another convert!

Comment

I think this is one of those issues that clearly denotes the difference between "noobs" and "vets." Noobs are still trying to find their way, and truly seeking out what is acceptable and what is not. We vets need to keep firm fair vigilance on what it took some of us years to make habit, treating every course as if it were our own. We all rejoice when one of our brothers or sisters card an ace, and will revere your signed ace disc as much as you. As a community we are lucky to get the opportunity to hold our rank and file to a stewardship level of behavior on every course we challange. Matt, you can take that noob patch off your bag...welcome to the next level.
                              'J' Man
                              educate your thinking

Comment

JMan, loki, emmarose, and Matt B. thank you, I also will start telling my buds the error in their ways. Keep hukin'

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X