X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodland Creek Community Park, Lacey WA

After a fantastic meeting with the Director of Lacey parks, I am happy to announce the beginning of what promises to be a great relationship! After dealing with the fiasco that is the Olympia parks dept., its very refreshing to have a conversation with park decision makers that is honest, productive, and positive!

Disc golf is written in to the park master plan for Woodland Creek Community Park. Although there is no money available,they have 18 acres set aside. The space consists of a few (5-6?) acres of wide open pasture style field with a majority of the property through dense woods with a creek border. We will begin design and fundraising immediately.

Although WCCP probably won't warrant it, the vision for Lacey Parks includes installing programs that are designed to bring outside money into the city IE. travelers for tourneys. This is GREAT news for disc golf in the South Sound!
    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Niceeeee!
    'Weekend 4 Women':
    Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
    Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Excellent news Chris!
      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

SWEEEEET! Way to GO!

Comment

We have started the design process for a 9 hole course in WCP. I hope to have the final design before the first of the year.

Comment

Another great meeting with the Director of Lacey Parks Dept. and the Facilities Maintenance Supervisor. They love the first draft map of the course. Next step is submitting a written proposal to outline our arrangements. This very important part of the process is where we highlight our role as a club, and the role of the parks dept. I'm working into the agreement, pro bono use of the course for our club weeklies, and total use of the park 3 times per year for fundraiser events.

I will post this in the DG thread as well, but I'm looking for examples of land use agreements. If you have one, or know of a club that has used one, let me know.

Comment

update?
              "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
              -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

I submitted the proposal at the last board meeting. Next step is a walk through with the park board to go over the layout. Then land use agreement.

Slowly but Surely....

Comment

right on. Best of luck to you guys down there in OLY. Keep it real chris.

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                  -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Originally posted by JR Stengele View Post
                    right on. Best of luck to you guys down there in OLY. Keep it real chris.
                    Thanks Stengele!

Comment

This Saturday we will have a "walk through" with the Director of the parks and the park board. They accepted our proposal and have drawn up a land use contract. After the walk through, we are hoping for the go ahead to start opening up the fairways and getting hole design finalized.

Comment

We had a great walk through today. Lots of support from our local players and a couple of the Shelton crew came down. The park board was thoroughly impressed with how far these discs can go, and how accurate! The park board is totally on board with our concept. We need to look into insurance coverage, that seems to be the only real hiccup.

It's not as fast as we would like, but as long as we are moving forward we will keep on keeping on.

Comment

thanks for keeping us updated Chris. Glad to hear such positive things.

-- Arthur Ashe

Comment

After yesterdays conversation with the director of the Lacey Parks Dept. I was assured that their next meeting (May 21st) would include the rubber stamped approval of our new course. In the mean time, I have the ok to continue designing. Work parties will be starting immediately after the signing of our land use agreement.

On a side note... We just recieved the go ahead to instal a permanent course at Evergreen State College.

Exciting times for Olympia disc golfers!

Comment

Sweet! Let me now when they are "official" Chris and I will put them up on dgcr too! Glad to see our capital getting the respect it deserves...in dg that is.

-- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X