X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashland Considering Disc Golf Article

Somebody in Ashland or nearby might want to provide some info and feedback to these folks.

http://www.dailytidings.com/apps/pbc...305/-1/NEWSMAP

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
    Somebody in Ashland or nearby might want to provide some info and feedback to these folks.

http://www.dailytidings.com/apps/pbc...305/-1/NEWSMAP
    thanks for posting this! We actually have had a representative working with Don and the city for a year or two now. This article is great to get the message out in the valley though. As some might know we have not 1 course with baskets from Ashland to Grants Pass(we play tones in the woods). I advise anyone who reads this to write a positive email about how disc golf can bring revenue through pay to play fees and tournaments. Also suggestions on how we can mesh these "two cultures" on the same turf. The more support and ideas they see from the community the more prone they will be to put a course in.

Thanks again and lets get a course in the valley!

Comment

Not a great sign when the parks director is quoted as saying "I'm personally not supportive of a disc golf installation there,".

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Not a great sign when the parks director is quoted as saying "I'm personally not supportive of a disc golf installation there,".

True, but we were informed that this was off the table months ago. seeing this article shows that Don and/or others are still interested in the idea. Any bit of interest puts a smile on my face since we haven't had a course in 3yrs. If we show enough evidence and interest that this could be profitable and not impact the golfers we might make this happen.

Are there any other disc courses that are on golf courses? That information could be very helpful.
        Thanks

Comment

Only two leap to mind, and neither are overly positive. There was the one in Eugene where they pulled disc golf after a year (there were rumors of disc and ball golfers not getting along) and Skyline in Wa where the owner was forced to sell because of poor business and the new owner pulled disc golf.

There was talk of one in Estacada, but I can't remember if that came to fruition.

Comment

Here are a couple of discussions from DGCR regarding ball/disc golf courses.HTH
            Co-Golf (ball and disc) thoughts?
            Disc golf on ball golf courses, does it work?

Comment

Originally posted by weaktit View Post
              Here are a couple of discussions from DGCR regarding ball/disc golf courses.HTH
              Co-Golf (ball and disc) thoughts?
              Disc golf on ball golf courses, does it work?
              thanks for the information. I have read through the forums and found many pros and cons. It seems that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. really depends on the actual layout of the (ball)course, trees, extra/unused land, amount of dgers, etc. haha All Huge Factors! Hopefully we can expand our plan to tailor the needs of both parties to make it work.

FLY18 seems to be a good source to contact for information as well. However i don't think 1dg hole/ bgolf hole would work to well - as someone mentioned is part of their goal for flow.

Comment

Email sent

I sent Don an email reguarding this " the two sports wont mix thing."
                A 9 hole course is pretty small and can take up a small area out of the way. I notified him of the Lava Creek disc and reg.golf course in Paradise. The owner charges $4 a game for disc and has more disc players then reg.golfers. And yes the two sports often play at the same time. I am glad Don is even open to the idea of a course. I also let him know the reason I do not visit Ashland is because it has no disc course in town. I travel 2-4 times a week to various courses in Nor.Cal and Oregon. Sorry Ashland but Ashland businesses wont get my lodging, gas and food cash til' a course appears. I stayed professional and simply stated why Ashland needs a course. My hope is other Nor.Cal and Oregon players send him an email doing the same. If they are considering the idea then lets help them along with their concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Only two leap to mind, and neither are overly positive. There was the one in Eugene where they pulled disc golf after a year (there were rumors of disc and ball golfers not getting along)
                  There were actually two DG courses on ball golf courses in Eugene: Laurelwood and Oakway.

At Laurelwood the group that received the concession from the city to operate the ball golf course was required to "accomodate disc golf" which they did for as short of a time as they could possibly get away with. I recall the starter telling the ball golfers to go ahead and hit toward the DGers, and how they couldn't wait to pull those damn ugly baskets after a few months.

In Oakway it worked very well until the groundskeeper (who was a DG advocate) took a job in Eastern Oregon, and the new groundskeeper was not an advocate. So that was that.

I know there were issues regarding the speed of play between the two golfs, especially since so many ball golfers were playing mutliple balls once they were out of sight from the clubhouse.

Comment

If anyone has a chance can they e-mai, the director referenced below answering the questions. Thanks!

Please email Don Robertson, director of Ashland Parks & Recreation if you would like to support getting a disc golf course in Ashland, Oregon. The course would be at Oak Knoll Golf course, playing with ball golfers.

Email your responses to the following questions to Don Robertson - robertsd@ashland.or.us

1.) How many days a week would you play disc golf in Ashland, Oregon if there was a 18-hole basket course?

2.) Would you play disc golf on a course with ball golfers?

3.) Would you pay to play disc golf on an 18-hole course that is well maintained?

4.) Would you pay $4 for a round of disc golf on an 18-hole course?

Thanks & Peace.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X