X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
    I'm always willing to give up some free time for work parties!!
    I am too! Keep us updated on this!
    10/4 5PM START Carnation weekly Random Doubles every Thursday untill we cant see our discs flying anymore. All info in the link http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8788

Comment

It's been a few days, but the recent developments on this are as follows:

I have engaged in an e-mail conversation with Keith at Chainbangerz, and he has expressed interest in assisting with the development of a course in Covington. I'm hoping to set up a meeting with Keith relatively soonish (perhaps this week).

Through my correspondence with the Parks and Recs director, I have received a few pointers/words of advise/caveats:
      • Covington Parks & Rec has a very small staff, and work plans are already full with other priorities, meaning that this project will be squeezed into whatever small bits of time are available. This project will likely proceed very slowly, but patience will be worth it in the end.
      • It is not obvious whether a 9 or 18 hole course would be appropriate for Jenkins Creek Park and/or Covington... The primary concern being potential for a conflict of uses. If a smaller number of holes would work, then the possibilities would increase.
      • Other potential parks with some fairly large spaces (other than Jenkins Creek Park) include the Covington Community Park, Cedar Creek Park, and the Pipeline Trial.
      • There is some concern about the budget for design, equipment, construction, and maintenance. Suggestions for these issues include, creating our own design, doing some fundraising for equipment, and deciding whether to have a no-maintenance course or a volunteer maintenance agreement.
      • Given the time and funding constraints, it is doubted that this course would be completed this summer, it would be better to shoot for sometime next summer.

That's about all I have for now.
      Cheers!

Comment

I would not try to squeeze in 18 holes there, unless you're allowed to use the entire park. 9 no problem, maybe 12. And remember that it doesn't HAVE to be a multiple of three!
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          I would not try to squeeze in 18 holes there, unless you're allowed to use the entire park. 9 no problem, maybe 12. And remember that it doesn't HAVE to be a multiple of three!
          Definitely something to consider... I'm also into considering some of the other parks that the Parks & Rec director mentioned (although, I'm new to the area and not so familiar with the other ones)...

Comment

There is no magic number of holes - I'm always in favor of quality holes over achieving the mystical magical multiples of 3
            'Weekend 4 Women':
            Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
            Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Originally posted by cefire View Post
              There is no magic number of holes - I'm always in favor of quality holes over achieving the mystical magical multiples of 3
              Just look at Pavillion Park on the border of Idaho/Wa

It is about quality not quantity.
              "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
              -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                This.

Originally posted by cefire View Post
                And This.
                Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Any updates???

Any more News on this topic?? I myself live in Covington and would be Pee my Pants HAPPY to have a course here in town... I would be willing to do the work too!

Comment

Hi Tallpat,
                    I just ran across this thread. I would be more than happy to help out in any way I can. It is my experience that it is best to establish and build a relationship with the parks people and begin to educate them on the issues associated with installing and maintaining a disc golf course. It appears that you are well along this path.
                    Doing a walk through of all the potential park properties also seems like the the first order of business. If the parks director can walk along it provides an opportunity to find out what they are interested in and to build trust.
                    I work in Kent and our fire department provides the service in Covington as well. I get off duty at 8 am in Kent several times a month and could meet with you and /or the parks director sometime if you would like.
                    I have a good relationship with Keith and Tom and would be happy to work with them.
                    We are busy in the West Sound putting in an incredible new course called the Bud Pell at Ross Farm. Give me a call if you would like a tour of it sometime. 360-509-0000.
                    Now is the time to meet with parks for work to begin in the fall.
                    Anyway, give a call if you want any help with this.
                    Paul Wright

Comment

Thanks! As of right now, I'm still awaiting a reply from the parks director with regards to setting up a meeting. It's a little bit frustrating, because initially I had established a seemingly solid dialog, but for the past few weeks... crickets. I know the parks director said he was going on vacation at the end of April, so I'm assuming he's preoccupied with other parks related stuff prior to. I've been e-mailing him bi-weekly since the beginning of March, and have not been receiving so-much as a confirmation of receipt (perhaps my e-mail address got filtered as spam or something?). I don't know, maybe I'll try calling his office to see how things are going?

Comment

I decided to call, and left a voice mail today. Amongst other parts of the message, I received the following reply:
                        In the meantime, here are two links to web pages that can help you identify suitable property and try to lay out some courses. Here’s a link to the City’s Parks, Recreation and Open Space (PROS) Plan (http://www.covingtonwa.gov/city_depa...pros_plan.html). It has maps showing the location of public (city and other agencies) park and open space properties. Here’s a link to King County’s iMap web site (http://www.kingcounty.gov/operations/gis/Maps/iMAP.aspx). After finding properties in the PROS Plan you can pull up an aerial photo to check the size and the terrain of the properties. It has topo lines along with measuring and drawing tools that might allow you to start laying out some courses. I suggest you try to lay out courses at Jenkins Creek Park, King County Cedar Downs Park and “King County Greenspace”. Cedar Downs and the unnamed greenspace are shown on Map 2 in the PROS Plan. Cedar Downs is at the NE corner of the city and the other greenspace is centrally located south of the city limits, south of the railroad and west of Winterwood. Another location I’d like you to check out is called the “Pipeline Trail”, shown as a “Proposed Shared Use Trail” on Map 9 in the PROS Plan. The undeveloped trail corridor is on the east side of the city and runs from Kent Kangley, through Timberlane all the way to the gravel mine on the north edge of the city. We would like to open that trail corridor and although I think you don’t prefer linear courses it may be an option.
                        ...this seems like an appropriate time for input...

Comment

This is a map that I made of the proposed areas...

Cedar Downs is in the Northeast corner of the city, Jenkins Creek is near the city center, and King County Greenspace is just South of the city center.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...,0.100336&z=14
                          Last edited by tallpat; May 31st, 2011, 09:41 AM. Reason: Updated map/link

Comment

I met up with Keith yesterday, and we spent the better part of 3˝ hours walking through the three areas mentioned by the Parks and Recreation director; Cedar Downs, Jenkins Creek Park, and King County Greenspace.

I must say, all three areas definitely have some potential.

Jenkins Creek Park was the site that initially got me interested in contacting Covington Parks, because that's the park that was mentioned as a potential disc golf course in the "Covington PROS Plan"... I had, up until yesterday, held this location as a "front runner" in terms of first choices. But, having seen the other options, I'm not so certain anymore... The (good/bad) thing about Jenkins Creek Park, is that it is already an established park in the community. It's good, because the property is already fairly well maintained, with trails and mowed fields that could make the transition into a course less strenuous. However, since it is an established park, it might be a little more difficult to convince the community that disc golf would make a good fit for the park. I do like this location for it's potential water hazard holes though, even if the land-area isn't as large as the other two locations.

Cedar Downs was a nice vast amount of land, with fairly dense wooded areas. The majority of this land appears to be located on top of a "plateau", with a really steep (~100% grade) hill that drops down around 150-200ft in elevation along the Northern, and part of the Western borders of the property. This property is currently not easily accessible, with only a few mountain biking trails branching off of the main trail (Pipeline Trail). Although this is the largest of the three sites, it may not be the most feasible because of it's secluded nature. There is virtually zero parking available at any of the trail heads leading into the area. All-in-all, it was a pretty impressive site, but it would take a lot of work to clear out some fairways and make it usable/accessible.

Finally, the King County Greenspace seemed to be comprised of a nice mix of wooded areas and former roads and trails. This land is adjacent to an already existing (and very well maintained, possibly private?/neighborhood) park. There was a good variety of terrain on this property with some interesting elevation features. There are some dirt bike trails winding through the property, which could be used as a basic route through to develop a course trail from. I think at the end of the day, Keith and I both agreed that this spot (granted the proper approval) has the best potential.

Of course, all of this is just a part of the preliminary site survey process. There's still a lot of uncertainty with regards to what we are able to actually do, at least, until we get an opportunity to meet with the Parks Director. We tentatively have a meeting scheduled with Covington Parks on 6/7, but this may very well get pushed out a few weeks due to the numerous other projects going on at the moment.

Anyhow, that's my update for now.
                            Cheers!

Comment

AWESOME!!!!

That is AWESOME TallPat!!! I commend you on your leg work for a Covington Course. I live like 2.5 miles up Covington Sawyer Way from the King Co. Greenspace. I would REALLY like to assist you, if you need it, in anyway I can! Please, feel free to hit me up and I will get you my # for whatever you may need. PLEASE keep us updated on what you hear next! Thanks again for your Efforts.

Originally posted by tallpat View Post
                              I met up with Keith yesterday, and we spent the better part of 3˝ hours walking through the three areas mentioned by the Parks and Recreation director; Cedar Downs, Jenkins Creek Park, and King County Greenspace.

I must say, all three areas definitely have some potential.

Jenkins Creek Park was the site that initially got me interested in contacting Covington Parks, because that's the park that was mentioned as a potential disc golf course in the "Covington PROS Plan"... I had, up until yesterday, held this location as a "front runner" in terms of first choices. But, having seen the other options, I'm not so certain anymore... The (good/bad) thing about Jenkins Creek Park, is that it is already an established park in the community. It's good, because the property is already fairly well maintained, with trails and mowed fields that could make the transition into a course less strenuous. However, since it is an established park, it might be a little more difficult to convince the community that disc golf would make a good fit for the park. I do like this location for it's potential water hazard holes though, even if the land-area isn't as large as the other two locations.

Cedar Downs was a nice vast amount of land, with fairly dense wooded areas. The majority of this land appears to be located on top of a "plateau", with a really steep (~100% grade) hill that drops down around 150-200ft in elevation along the Northern, and part of the Western borders of the property. This property is currently not easily accessible, with only a few mountain biking trails branching off of the main trail (Pipeline Trail). Although this is the largest of the three sites, it may not be the most feasible because of it's secluded nature. There is virtually zero parking available at any of the trail heads leading into the area. All-in-all, it was a pretty impressive site, but it would take a lot of work to clear out some fairways and make it usable/accessible.

Finally, the King County Greenspace seemed to be comprised of a nice mix of wooded areas and former roads and trails. This land is adjacent to an already existing (and very well maintained, possibly private?/neighborhood) park. There was a good variety of terrain on this property with some interesting elevation features. There are some dirt bike trails winding through the property, which could be used as a basic route through to develop a course trail from. I think at the end of the day, Keith and I both agreed that this spot (granted the proper approval) has the best potential.

Of course, all of this is just a part of the preliminary site survey process. There's still a lot of uncertainty with regards to what we are able to actually do, at least, until we get an opportunity to meet with the Parks Director. We tentatively have a meeting scheduled with Covington Parks on 6/7, but this may very well get pushed out a few weeks due to the numerous other projects going on at the moment.

Anyhow, that's my update for now.
                              Cheers!

Comment

I've started a facebook page to begin organizing a community of interested peoples. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coving...35138423189588

The intention here is to have the facebook community as kind of a centralized site for discussions/brainstorming and then to cross-post any major breakthroughs or updates to this thread here. To be honest, there may be quite a bit of cross posting between this thread and the facebook group until things get better sorted out.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X