X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alton Baker Park DGC?

Well, the last rumor I heard (back in September) was that the Alton Baker Park course might finally get installed in January 2011.. anyone happen to know anything about the status of getting the course installed? I'd dearly love to see that happen.. imo a full 18-hole course within the Eugene/Springfield limits is a huge priority.

Originally posted by jeverett View Post
    Well, the last rumor I heard (back in September) was that the Alton Baker Park course might finally get installed in January 2011.. anyone happen to know anything about the status of getting the course installed? I'd dearly love to see that happen.. imo a full 18-hole course within the Eugene/Springfield limits is a huge priority.
    According to the City planner in charge of the process, things have not changed, there is some delay due to permitting and changes to a plan, but they have not backed away from the idea. The original timeframe we were given in March of 2010 was 6-18 months. According to various rumors and things you hear in various places with varying levels of credibility from very credible to crazy talk, the owners of the Cuthbert amphitheatre don't want it to happen, the City has decided not to do it, and it'll never happen.

Just another day in Eugene. On the positive side, with the addition of 200 acres of parkland at East Ridgeline approved by the City council (to be named Suzanne Arlie Community Park) but not yet completed, and the concept of disc golf at that location already planned and endorsed, it seems likely that we will have a course there in say......10-50 years.

So hang in there Eugene discers.....we haven't had a new course in thirty years, but that shouldn't stretch to much past eighty years before a new one gets installed!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
      According to the City planner in charge of the process, things have not changed, there is some delay due to permitting and changes to a plan, but they have not backed away from the idea. The original timeframe we were given in March of 2010 was 6-18 months. According to various rumors and things you hear in various places with varying levels of credibility from very credible to crazy talk, the owners of the Cuthbert amphitheatre don't want it to happen, the City has decided not to do it, and it'll never happen.

Just another day in Eugene. On the positive side, with the addition of 200 acres of parkland at East Ridgeline approved by the City council (to be named Suzanne Arlie Community Park) but not yet completed, and the concept of disc golf at that location already planned and endorsed, it seems likely that we will have a course there in say......10-50 years.

So hang in there Eugene discers.....we haven't had a new course in thirty years, but that shouldn't stretch to much past eighty years before a new one gets installed!
      Hi Matt,

Yeah, I'd also heard rumors about complications due to the Cuthbert Ampitheatre, particularly related to the fact they park cars on what would be ~4 holes of the course (based on the layout used at the Winter Series) during concerts and such. Can some kind of compromise be reached over that? The course could certainly be closed or those specific baskets pulled during Cuthbert events.. although that would of course require someone actually doing that job, as well as storing the baskets somewhere for the evening. :P

Have you heard anything further about the course potentially being pay-to-play? I, for one, would totally support that, as long as a reasonable yearly pass were available. Disc golf isn't zero-maintenance, and if a course could demonstrate self-sustainability I think it might give the city more incentive.

Comment

Have you heard anything further about the course potentially being pay-to-play? I, for one, would totally support that, as long as a reasonable yearly pass were available. Disc golf isn't zero-maintenance, and if a course could demonstrate self-sustainability I think it might give the city more incentive.
        If everything proceeds as planned, the city will issue a Request for Proposal to select a concessionaire to run the course on a pay-to-play basis. They're still waiting for final approval, but it's looking surprisingly good. We could be playing out there in June.

It'd be interesting to know who's going to submit a proposal.

Next planning meeting is 2/23.

Comment

For those interested: February 23rd at Hilyard Community Center, 2580 Hilyard Street, 6:00pm - 8:00pm

Comment

Take the survey! THIS WEEK ONLY!

Please followthe link, read the proposal and then take the survey. I asked the City of Eugene staff who sent out the request for feedback if they also wanted feedback from people who did not attend the meeting but are interested in a course at Alton Baker and he said they are very interested!

Please read the proposal, be respectful and clear in your comments, and state your opinions!

West Alton Baker Park Disc Golf Proposal

Web Survey open through this Sunday, March 13th.

If you have feedback about the proposal, please visit

www.eugene-or.gov/discgolf

and take the survey.

Over 50 attendees at our Feb 23rd meeting, but only 23 survey responses received so far. Your comments count!

Comment

I did a survey for ya. Looking at the map, I wonder why they are trying to cram everything in at the West side of Alton Baker, where they do festivals and stuff. Why not do it on the East side where there is only walking trails, lots of open space, and the elevated roadway that connects Eugene to Springfield. I remember walking or biking to Football practice at Autzen from the U of O dorms through Alton Baker, and jogging through there, and being amazed by the amount of open wilderness in the heart of a city. Has the east side ever been tried for Disc golf?

Comment

Originally posted by Cornwall, Esq. View Post
                I did a survey for ya. Looking at the map, I wonder why they are trying to cram everything in at the West side of Alton Baker, where they do festivals and stuff. Why not do it on the East side where there is only walking trails, lots of open space, and the elevated roadway that connects Eugene to Springfield. I remember walking or biking to Football practice at Autzen from the U of O dorms through Alton Baker, and jogging through there, and being amazed by the amount of open wilderness in the heart of a city. Has the east side ever been tried for Disc golf?
                Essentially every other corner of the park has a use or user group that prevents disc golf considerations. The area you are referring to is a "natural area" (well ok, it's partly an old landfill) that has a well organized Friends group of users. It's a good point, but has been definitively ruled out and is now a dead end for discussion. Thanks for taking the survey!

Comment

A big thank you to you Matt for keeping everyone posted on Alton Baker's development!

-Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Cornwall, Esq. View Post
                    As Matt mentioned, unfortunately East Alton Baker Park is not a possibility at all. As was explained at the meeting, apparently the allowed uses for East Alton Baker Park were decided via ballot measure a while back.. and as a result of that, Disc Golf does not meet the voter-approved criteria for acceptable uses for East Alton Baker Park.. it's too high-impact with regards to the environment.

Comment

Thanks for the replies matt and Jeverett, makes sense. Now for something completely different: I used to do intoxicated inner tubing down the river that runs through Alton Baker when I lived in Eugene. Is there river/beach front access to the course area? Could one theoretically inner tube down the river then play a round? That would be like a recreation marathon!

Comment

Well, as it's already April.. by chance has anyone heard anything about the status of the 'proposals for a disc golf concessionaire' request that the City said they would(?) be posting in 'the Spring' related to a pay-to-play disc golf course at Alton Baker Park?

Comment

Well, as it's already April.. by chance has anyone heard anything about the status of the 'proposals for a disc golf concessionaire' request that the City said they would(?) be posting in 'the Spring' related to a pay-to-play disc golf course at Alton Baker Park?
                          Still moving forward. Next step should be releasing the results of the survey everyone took, which was on balance very positive.

There are still concerns (I believe unfounded) concerning the impact of the course on running trails and the Cuthbert parking. But the city's parks department feels that they have followed a sound planning process and the course design will address those concerns. There's complete agreement that any complaints from either trail users or the Cuthbert will get the course yanked.

Don't know when the proposal for a concessionaire will be published, but I'm sure it will be big news.

Comment

Just in case anyone isn't on the mailing list to receive updates from the City (in this case Phillip Richardson, of the Parks & Open Space Division) about the Alton Baker Park disc golf plan, what follows was mailed out today:

Over 230 responses were received, the most POS has received yet for a web
                            survey. Although not a scientifically valid random sample survey, it does
                            indicate a large measure of support for a disc golf course in this location.
                            However, we've also heard serious safety concerns about potential conflicts
                            between runners and errant discs from one of the main user groups of an existing adjacent facility, Pre's Trail. We are currently working with representatives of the major affected groups to see if a solution can be found.

While not a complete no, that doesn't sound very optimistic.. nor does it leave much time for any possibility of a vendor being found before the ideal disc golfing season/weather starts, when said vendor would be most likely to be able to recover their costs.

Comment

Just in case anyone isn't on the mailing list to receive updates from the City (in this case Phillip Richardson, of the Parks & Open Space Division) about the Alton Baker Park disc golf plan, what follows was mailed out today:

Over 230 responses were received, the most POS has received yet for a web
                              survey. Although not a scientifically valid random sample survey, it does
                              indicate a large measure of support for a disc golf course in this location.
                              However, we've also heard serious safety concerns about potential conflicts
                              between runners and errant discs from one of the main user groups of an existing adjacent facility, Pre's Trail. We are currently working with representatives of the major affected groups to see if a solution can be found.

While not a complete no, that doesn't sound very optimistic.. nor does it leave much time for any possibility of a vendor being found before the ideal disc golfing season/weather starts, when said vendor would be most likely to be able to recover their costs.
                              I think it's very likely there will be no RFP process soon or disc golf in Alton Baker this Summer.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X