X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
    There are many of us who want a course like this because there are very few big courses in the area.
    And there are many MORE people who will enjoy the course a lot more -- including people who've never played disc golf before -- if it has also has short tees. And apparently it will have them, so that's good news, and therefore I'm not so worried.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be long difficult courses. I'm just saying that installing short teepads in addition to the longs takes nothing away from the long layout and makes the facility an exponentially better value for the community. Multiple pads are better than multiple pin placements, because they let the players decide how much they want to blow out their arm on any given day.

I'm especially concerned about this issue given the specific location: Blue Lake Park is a busier venue by far than any other disc golf course around here, so this will give the sport more exposure than it's ever had in the Portland area. Have you been there on a weekend afternoon in the summer? It is PACKED. This means thousands of parkgoers, many of them families with kids, will see the course and wonder "what's that?" They'll read somewhere that disc golf is a beginner- and family-friendly sport, but if they decide to try it out and are presented with a ball-golf-sized layout, they're not going to think it's very much fun. But give them a set of short teepads -- or better yet with a course this size, two sets of shorter pads -- and you may have gained a new DG convert or two.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

And let's not forget, not everyone out there is 20 something still living under the "I'm undestructable" motto, with power to spare; some of us are old farts who have played this game for decades and just don't have the raw power of you young cannons. We're not "babies" my friend, we're the elder statesmen of the game, show some respect whippersnapper...
      What I will be interested to see is if they use the three par 3s, four par 4s, and 2 par 5s per nine. That's what we old farts miss, the strategy of playing the terrain, not just birdy or die. Either way, it'll be nice to have a new course...well done.
      'J'
      educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        And yours is the exact attitude that irritates the hell out of me. It seems to tell every beginning, intermediate, woman, or junior golfer "Sorry, you're not welcome here because you are not good enough. Go to Rockwood, and please come back when you can throw 400'".

Personally, I'm excited as hell about this and every new course in our area. I'm looking forward to playing this course, especially in tournament play. I probably won't play it often, but only because of geography. I can get to Meadow Ridge, Stub Stewart, or Pier in less than 1/2 the time.
        I'm curious to see where anything I have ever written discourages anyone from playing more difficult courses. I will gladly own up to encouraging more difficult courses, but nothing like what you are implying. I would like nothing more than courses for ALL skill levels.
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          And there are many MORE people who will enjoy the course a lot more -- including people who've never played disc golf before -- if it has also has short tees. And apparently it will have them, so that's good news, and therefore I'm not so worried.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be long difficult courses. I'm just saying that installing short teepads in addition to the longs takes nothing away from the long layout and makes the facility an exponentially better value for the community. Multiple pads are better than multiple placements, because they let the players decide how much they want to blow out their arm on any given day.

I'm especially concerned about this issue given the specific location: Blue Lake Park is a busier venue by far than any other disc golf course around here, so this will give the sport more exposure than it's ever had in the Portland area. Have you been there on a weekend afternoon in the summer? It is PACKED. This means thousands of parkgoers, many of them families with kids, will see the course and wonder "what's that?" They'll read somewhere that disc golf is a beginner- and family-friendly sport, but if they decide to try it out and are presented with a ball-golf-sized layout, they're not going to think it's very much fun. But give them a set of short teepads -- or better yet with a course this size, two sets of shorter pads -- and you may have gained a new DG convert or two.
          It is looking more and more like we are, if not on the same page, in the same chapter.
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

And yours is the exact attitude that irritates the hell out of me. It seems to tell every beginning, intermdiate, woman, or junior golfer "Sorry, you're not welcome here because you are not good enough. Go to Rockwood, and please come back when you can throw 400'".

Personally, I'm excited as hell about this and every new course in our area. I'm looking forward to playing this course, especially in tournament play. I probably won't play it often, but only because of geography. I can get to Meadow Ridge, Stub Stewart, or Pier in less than 1/2 the time.

I have read every post in this thread, and do not get the impression anyone is trying to exclude any group. On the contrary with the addition of am pads it seems this course will have something for everyone.

I can't wait to have a Chick Flick here I guarantee there will be lots of ladies playing this course.

Cindy
            Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
            2013 Chick Flick co-TD
            Stumptown #176
            PDGA #37716

Comment

I will do my best. Getting to that side of town at that time of day is a significant challenge for me.

Has anyone contacted the managers of other parks? Specifically, I'm thinking about the Portland Parks person (Pier) and the ranger at Stub Stewart. I believe both could give very strong testemonials about the positive impact disc golf has brought to their park.

Comment

I will do my best. Getting to that side of town at that time of day is a significant challenge for me.

Has anyone contacted the managers of other parks? Specifically, I'm thinking about the Portland Parks person (Pier) and the ranger at Stub Stewart. I believe both could give very strong testemonials about the positive impact disc golf has brought to their park.
                Excellent ideas. I'll see if I can contact Ranger Steve and Alex from Portland Public Parks.

(Update) Thanks for the idea Scott. I sent emails to Steve Kruger or Stub Stewart State Park, Alex Salazar of Portland Parks as well Bob Horning from Horning's Hideout requesting their feedback on the impact of disc golf in their facilities as well as their experiences working with Stumptown Disc Golf.
                Last edited by Bullseye; January 6th, 2011, 01:29 PM. Reason: Updated info

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post

I'm not saying there shouldn't be long difficult courses. I'm just saying that installing short teepads in addition to the longs takes nothing away from the long layout and makes the facility an exponentially better value for the community. Multiple pads are better than multiple placements, because they let the players decide how much they want to blow out their arm on any given day.

Excactly what I was trying to say. I just couldn't seem to push the keyboard keys in the correct order to say it as well.

Comment

And yours is the exact attitude that irritates the hell out of me. It seems to tell every beginning, intermdiate, woman, or junior golfer "Sorry, you're not welcome here because you are not good enough. Go to Rockwood, and please come back when you can throw 400'".

Like Stub, if you throw 300 or even 250 pretty well you will be able to score better than someone who cannot control a 400' shot. This will apply to all divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Rebel View Post
                      Like Stub, if you throw 300 or even 250 pretty well you will be able to score better than someone who cannot control a 400' shot. This will apply to all divisions.
                      So you're saying, Bullseye doesn't have a chance?

Bob

Comment

Location of meeting on Tuesday 01-11-2011 at 6:15pm is

Fairview City Hall‎
                        1300 Northeast Village Street
                        Fairview, OR 97024

If you play disc golf and can make the meeting please show up and represent us in a positive light at the meeting.

http://calendar.oregonmetro.gov/even...etail&eID=3261
                        PDGA# 49616
                        Stumptown# 353
                        OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

Oregonian

Hey guys, I'm a reporter over at the Oregonian, and I'm working on a big-ish story about disc golfing and this park. If any of you want to talk about disc golf's popularity and what it means for this park to come to the area, hit me up via PM or you can call my desk at 503-294-5081.

Thanks,
                          Matt Buxton
                          Oregonian
                          mbuxton@oregonian.com

Comment

Well, Matt, I think if you read this thread, you'll learn a lot. There are people in the disc golf community whose priority is getting more very long "pro-level" courses, and others who want to see more shorter family-friendly courses. Actually, I think almost all of us would like to see more of each kind -- the tension comes when the discussion is about the specific future of any individual course.
                            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

... hmmm... the longer the course, the more golf i get to play... i can see nothing, absolutely nothing, wrong with a long course... and i suppose i do have a girly arm, being as how i am a girl... and i'm never going to rockwood and i'm not gonna say never 'bout throwing that 400', but i will say that it might be a while...

... anyway, lets stow the nonsense and build a golf course...
                              "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                              Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Holy crap... hide the controversial topics section...
                                ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X