X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wog View Post
    FYI, the official design shows closer to 8,224' over 18 holes. Still plenty to whine about with an average hole length of 457 feet (which makes it almost exactly the same average length as Milo with the 27 hole layout all in long.)
    Steve,
    In the tournament layouts at Milo the east and west are both 8000+ feet in distance on their own. This would be on par with that but nothing compared to the 11,000 foot monster we played at the 2009 Worlds in KC. Jeff Hagerty's favorite course played outside of Oregon to date!

The layout is very similar to what was looked at before. Interesting that the layout is in a counterclockwise fashion, must be that right hand dominate mentality( Stub is as well)! It has a nice mix of dogleg right & left and straight shots. Hole 4 is an awesome tunnel shot but will also be the biggest hurdle due to the risk of tree hits sending discs into the roadway. It was hard for Cris and I to get away from that hole and felt the risk was worth it when we walked the hole and threw it. The last part where the basket is on the other side of the water is actually a low ceiling shot over a pond that is created by the confluence of water from Fairview Lake. That hole will be so much fun to play, easily a course favorite!

Are they planning to build bridges over the flow of water on holes 5/6 & 8. These are not trivial creek crossings?
    PDGA #25296
    Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
      Steve,
      Are they planning to build bridges over the flow of water on holes 5/6 & 8. These are not trivial creek crossings?
      Yes, they are budgeting for bridges and a gravel parking lot, in addition to the typical disc golf course expenses of baskets, signs, pads etc.

Comment

Are the OB areas going to be a permanent feature, or are just for tournament play? How will they be marked? It doesn't look as if they are bordered by existing landmarks (streams, paths, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Are the OB areas going to be a permanent feature, or are just for tournament play? How will they be marked? It doesn't look as if they are bordered by existing landmarks (streams, paths, etc).
          I'm not sure as I haven't been out there yet. I know the big OB area in the middle of the course is mostly tall uncut reed grass and it may simply be a matter of different mowings used to designate OB when there isn't a tournament taking place.

Comment

Right now the ob's are marked with flags and the grass will only be cut in bounds in these areas leaving a well defined fairway area

I'm not sure as I haven't been out there yet. I know the big OB area in the middle of the course is mostly tall uncut reed grass and it may simply be a matter of different mowings used to designate OB when there isn't a tournament taking place.

Comment

OB

Originally posted by whslaxplayer11 View Post
              Right now the ob's are marked with flags and the grass will only be cut in bounds in these areas leaving a well defined fairway area
              The hole coures will be lined out with colored stakes.

Comment

Course distance

Steve,
                In the tournament layouts at Milo the east and west are both 8000+ feet in distance on their own. This would be on par with that but nothing compared to the 11,000 foot monster we played at the 2009 Worlds in KC. Jeff Hagerty's favorite course played outside of Oregon to date!

The layout is very similar to what was looked at before. Interesting that the layout is in a counterclockwise fashion, must be that right hand dominate mentality( Stub is as well)! It has a nice mix of dogleg right & left and straight shots. Hole 4 is an awesome tunnel shot but will also be the biggest hurdle due to the risk of tree hits sending discs into the roadway. It was hard for Cris and I to get away from that hole and felt the risk was worth it when we walked the hole and threw it. The last part where the basket is on the other side of the water is actually a low ceiling shot over a pond that is created by the confluence of water from Fairview Lake. That hole will be so much fun to play, easily a course favorite!

The course will be over 10,000 feet.

Comment

FYI, the official design shows closer to 8,224' over 18 holes. Still plenty to whine about with an average hole length of 457 feet (which makes it almost exactly the same average length as Milo with the 27 hole layout all in long.)
                  official design that u have seen is not up todate.

Comment

Originally posted by TIC17624 View Post
                    The course will be over 10,000 feet.
                    I gathered that after talking with Dave, however it still can not match the length of Blue Valley. If you like length and are in the area you should go check it out.

http://www.pdga.com/course_directory...ue-valley-park

But either way I will be excited to help finally turn this land of un-use at Blue Lake into multi-use!
                    PDGA #25296
                    Stumptown #34

Comment

I gathered that after talking with Dave, however it still can not match the length of Blue Valley. If you like length and are in the area you should go check it out.

But either way I will be excited to help finally turn this land of un-use at Blue Lake into multi-use!
                      Thank you Feldberg, Stumptown, and anyone else involved in helping this process along. Blue Valley in Kansas City, MO is a long drive, I'll be happy to have another great course in Oregon.

Don't forget that SW Washington needs more courses and effort too. Any help or guidance on this side of the river is appreciated.
                      PDGA# 49616
                      Stumptown# 353
                      OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

It most likey will not make 11,000 feet. But Blue Vally has a little more elevation to work with. It's going to be different in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by TIC17624 View Post
                          official design that u have seen is not up todate.
                          Thanks for the update Tyler!

I'll talk to Dave tonight and make sure Metro gets a copy of the newest design.

Oregon Metro News on upcoming meetings: http://goo.gl/rMbml

Comment

Metro, Fairview to hold open house for proposed disc golf course

Disc Golf course proposed for Blue Lake Park

Comment

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/in...d_open_ho.html

"The proposed park would be located in unused land east of Blue Lake Park and serve as a dedicated 18-hole course. Unlike other courses in the area, which wind through general-use park, this one would be specifically for golfers and would incorporate movable trees to change the difficulty of the course."

Movable trees! Freakin' awesome!
                              Last edited by Matt B.; January 5th, 2011, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                                http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/in...d_open_ho.html

"The proposed park would be located in unused land east of Blue Lake Park and serve as a dedicated 18-hole course. Unlike other courses in the area, which wind through general-use park, this one would be specifically for golfers and would incorporate movable trees to change the difficulty of the course."

Movable trees! Freakin' awesome!
                                Is this like the movable trees at Dexter and some other courses I've been to?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X