Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need a killer championship course and its nice to see players like Dave Feldberg and Stumptown step up. This will help the Portland area to host the world championships soon we hope. plus we have plenty of smaller courses around the area. Hope work partys start soon and there is enough room to put a club house on site that would be sweet.
    X - Man

Comment

Can't wait for this course. 5 min from my house. I love dabney, but I would love to have a course to help me improve my long drives, thats closer then milo. This course helps take the sting out of the MHCC BS. I'm down to help out with any work partys or fundraisers. Can not wait!!!

Comment

On Tuesday December 14th, Metro Council gave a green light to the proposed Blue Lake Disc Golf Course. An open house is tentatively planned for January 5th at the Blue Lake Park Lake House. The matter goes before the Planning Commission on January 11th.

I would recommend as many people as possible come out to the Open House on January 5th for more information. Metro is working with Stumptown Disc Golf to discuss how best to proceed and what opportunities are out there for partnerships as well as sponsors and advertising opportunities.

Comment

Whine....

If the course is too long or difficult, it won't become a destination course. It should have Pro and Am tees. There are reasons why we like to play McIver, Pier, and Timber... A new course should have all the qualities that these current courses deliver. If the new course could help bring Worlds here - yea baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Wog View Post
            On Tuesday December 14th, Metro Council gave a green light to the proposed Blue Lake Disc Golf Course. An open house is tentatively planned for January 5th at the Blue Lake Park Lake House. The matter goes before the Planning Commission on January 11th.

I would recommend as many people as possible come out to the Open House on January 5th for more information. Metro is working with Stumptown Disc Golf to discuss how best to proceed and what opportunities are out there for partnerships as well as sponsors and advertising opportunities.
            What are the times of the Open House and the Planning Commission?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
              What are the times of the Open House and the Planning Commission?

Bob
              They don't have a time yet, I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                golf is golf... I like higher par holes, makes you play more real golf than just drive putt, drive putt, drive putt...
                I agree with you it gets boring driving then putting thats why milo is cool if we get another course like that yay
                PDGA # 31451
                2 Mini Aces
                75 Aces
                PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                DISC GOLF OR DIE
                BOB CABAL
                DISCVANGO
                JEFF ELLIOT
                G-MAN
                JORDAN LEWIS
                JEFF HAGERTY
                JAMES GARCELON
                SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by chris7graham View Post
                  I agree with you it gets boring driving then putting thats why milo is cool if we get another course like that yay
                  No wonder I have so much more fun than anybody else. No matter where I golf, I get to "drive", have an "upshot", miss a "putt", then MAYBE get into the basket.

Bob

Comment

I'm with you Bob. The upshot is my favorite part of the game

Comment

Adam,

The property is not all usable. There are some wet land areas that can not be trampled in.

Here was the proposed 9 hole ball golf course layout if that helps,
                      http://library.oregonmetro.gov/files..._rendering.pdf

Its nice to see this going forward after Dave handed this property off to Cris and I a few years ago. We had no luck going forward due to Metro's plan to put in a ball golf course. Now that Dave is living in Portland and Metro dropped the ball golf course it will be nice to see the course come into full development.
                      PDGA #25296
                      Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                        Adam,

The property is not all usable. There are some wet land areas that can not be trampled in.

Here was the proposed 9 hole ball golf course layout if that helps,
                        http://library.oregonmetro.gov/files..._rendering.pdf

Its nice to see this going forward after Dave handed this property off to Cris and I a few years ago. We had no luck going forward due to Metro's plan to put in a ball golf course. Now that Dave is living in Portland and Metro dropped the ball golf course it will be nice to see the course come into full development.
                        I agree....awesome piece of land. 18 SWEET holes can easily be placed without impacting the wetland areas.

Comment

Oregon Metro Meeting with Stumptown Disc Golf 12/29/2010

Stumptown Disc Golf met with Mike Brown of Oregon Metro tonight to discuss the proposed course at Blue Lake Park. We were presented with a copy of the design plan which was created by Dave Feldberg. He also told us that the Metro Council has given the go ahead to proceed with developing the course!

Next steps: The open house next Wednesday night (Jan 5th from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Lake House) is primarily to promote the concept with the City of Fairview and neighbors to the park. They would like to have a small representation of disc golfers at the meeting that will be willing to answer questions from the community. The purpose of the meeting is NOT to inform the disc golf community of the design plan or discuss how popular the course may or may not be or critique the plan from a disc golf perspective.

Following that meeting Fairview Planning Commission will meet to approve to use the land for a disc golf course. According to Mike Brown this meeting is simply a formality as the City of Fairview is behind the project and has even waived some of the design plan costs associated with getting the City to buy off of Metro's plan.

Contrary to some comments I have heard, this course is being built by Oregon Metro, not the City of Fairview or some other entity or person. They will be looking for financial sponsors to help build the course. They will also be looking for volunteer labor to build the course, which Stumptown Disc Golf has gladly offered to provide. The course will (initially) NOT be pay to play, however, there will be a $5 parking fee, or a $40 annual pass option to park at the park.

I should be able to provide a better image of the course design tomorrow, but until then, here is my scan of the design that was presented at the meeting tonight.

Click on the larger attachment below (BlueLake.jpg) to see a larger view of the image.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            11,000 feet over 18 holes. Par 68. Let the whining begin.
                            FYI, the official design shows closer to 8,224' over 18 holes. Still plenty to whine about with an average hole length of 457 feet (which makes it almost exactly the same average length as Milo with the 27 hole layout all in long.)

Comment

From the attached pdf file:

Proposed*Blue*Lake*Disc*Golf*Course*

Metro*and*the*City*of*Fairview*invite*you*to*atten d*an*open*house*to*learn*more*about*the*proposed*d isc*golf*course*on*Metro’s*70-acre*park*land*north*of*Blue*Lake*Road....
                              Last edited by Wog; December 30th, 2010, 08:57 AM.

Comment

[contents of the PDF, as text:]

Public Open House
                                January 5, 2011
                                6 to 8 p.m.

Blue Lake Park "Lake House"
                                21154 NE Blue Lake Road
                                Fairview, OR

Proposed Blue Lake Disc Golf Course
                                Metro and the City of Fairview invite you to attend an open house to learn more about the proposed disc golf course on Metro's 70‐acre park land north of Blue Lake Road. Metro and City of Fairview staff, as well as Dave Feldberg, the course designer and top‐ranked professional disc golf player, will be available to answer questions.

What is disc golf?
                                Disc golf is played like traditional ball golf except it uses a hand thrown disc (like a "Frisbee") instead of a ball and an above ground basket as a target. The sport uses the same rules of play, courtesy, and etiquette as ball golf.

Where do I go to learn more about the sport?
                                The sport of disc golf is very popular in the Portland region and is growing rapidly across the nation. Recommended websites to learn more about the sport include:
                                • Professional Disc Golf Association: www.pdga.com
                                • Portland Disc Golf Community: www.stumptowndiscgolf.org

How will the land be developed?
                                Course development includes installation of tee pads and baskets, a gravel driveway and parking lot, landscaping, and foot bridges. There will be no grading, tree removal, or use of chemicals. Site management requires only periodic mowing of fairways. See a map of the course layout enclosed.

What must happen before the project gets built?
                                The course requires approval by the Fairview Planning Commission, which will consider it at a public hearing on January 11th at Fairview City Hall. In addition, Metro Council must approve the final budget and construction contracts before the project can move forward.

For more information, Contact:
                                Mike Brown, Metro Director of Properties, (503) 797‐1509
                                John Gessner, Fairview Community Development Director, (503)‐674‐6205
                                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X