X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make Mable Kerr Park in Washougal permanent

I live out in east vancouver/Camas Wa. The closest course is Leverich, which is still 15 miles away and very very crowded. Besides the 9 hole glenwood, and the 9 hole WSU campus, which I hear is extremely boring. There is nothing else on this side of the river. And all of those courses are clumped together on the west side near I5. There is nothing really east of I5 or even I205 for that matter. There are a lot of nice parks in washougal, Camas, central, and east vancouver, But not 1 with a basket in any of them. I have a lot of friends that have to rely on long bus rides or me driving them in order to play disc golf.
    The second I heard of a temporary course made by Jerry Miller Called Kerr park in washougal, I drove there immediatly and was saddened that there were no baskets. But I walked around the whole park and didn't see a single person using this park, I also noticed a great spot for a 9 - 12 hole course. Elevation, tree and water hazzards, and a perfect pathway that takes several turns throughout the park.
    I immediatly thought of how I could contribute in makeing this a disc golf park that is permanent. I have ties with a few local business that would contribute money for baskets and signage and I could rally more buisnesses in this cummunity. But that would be the easy part, getting the go-ahead, and the regular maintanance by the park officials would be something I know nothing about. Is there anyone else interested, Or know what I could be doing?

Here's the City of Washougal page on Mable Kerr Park: http://www.washougal.biz/index.php?o...=article&id=75

Note that the City doesn't actually own the park yet; it's still held by the "Columbia Land Trust," and that could spell trouble:

Upon inspection in 2006, the CLT expressed concern of the invasive weeds strangling the park. Washougal Parks Department began aggressively cleaning the site of weeds and hauled out years of garbage and debris… many dump truck loads! The Parks Department currently maintains Kerr Park to the standards that CLT requires and awaits successful transfer of the deed.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I've been in touch with Washougal School District regarding the possibility of a course on this property. Unfortunately, they are willing, but don't have the drive or money to build a course. I've also been told by my friends in the Vancouver Parks Department that the Washougal parks department wants to build a course, but I haven't talked to anyone directly in Washougal. They were talking about putting a course in Cottonwood park along the Columbia River.

There are several other good opportunities out east, however, I haven't had time stay on top of the opportunities and pressure the entities in order to make it happen. I hope that after the end of the year I can be a little more aggressive with these and some other options.

P.S. I concur that WSU is a boring course, however, there is another opportunity there to expand the course to 18 holes. They have acres and acres and a desire, but they just haven't put it all together. They really need a student representative or club to get that going. It could easily be Clark County's first Tournament Level course.

Comment

So I talked to Jerry and he said that there was no intrest in Kerr park staying permanent. Which I find that since the park isn't being heavily used by anyone else, maybe the right strings werent pulled. Maybe if the funding was found and the buisness plan was presented properly, showing that it would increase the foot traffic and area's popularity, then maybe people would be on board.
        I know nothing of the columbia land trust, but I'm sure it would raise Kerr parks property value if there was a desirable sporting event placed on it like a disc golf course.
        And Jerry did mention the planning of a disc golf course in cottonwood. That might be kinda like greenway though, with all the foot traffic. long waits at the tee on nice summer days. But a course is a course. And It is really needed out here.

Comment

Kerr Park (FOREST) is a Protected Riparian Woods

Thought I might fill you all in on what Kerr Park really is and why it is so important to the ecosystem feeding Steigerwald National Wetland.

Campen Creek flows through the forest and into Steigerwald National Wetland. Kerr Forest is, in fact, a very important riparian resource for a myriad species of birds, many of them ground nesters, as well as migratory species like The Western Tanager, and the endangered Columbia White Tail Deer. Blue Heron are abundant as are Bald Eagles and other raptors.

I have been filming and photographing Kerr Forest and its animal inhabitants for over five years and even filmed The City of Washougal's total disregard for its delicate ecosystem when the punched in the trails. The result of my filming cataloged over 165 species of birds, mammals and amphibians as well as produced the film "How a Greenbelt Became a Shoestring: The Story of Kerr Park".

To hear you people speak of taking a healthy riparian forest and wipe it out for the sake of a sporting area is absolutely ridiculous to me. The fact you can not see this forest for what it is alarms me even more. It is people like you, those with blind disregard for what remains of our natural green spaces, who encourage me to fight for further preservation of what remains of riparian forests in Washougal.

I can tell you with quite some certainty that no civil or government entity will ever raze this forest without a fight. Kerr Forest is protected not just by The Land Trust but by each and every one of us 50 residents who reside alongside it. And they know that.

So good luck, fellas. You'll need it.

**By the way, truckloads of garbage were not removed from the site. But I did film The City of Washougal dumping countless loads of debris from other sites they had cleared into Kerr Forest as well them dumping debris into the creek.

Comment

Catherine, I don't think you understand what it means to install a disc golf course. Typically, the goal is to alter the landscape as LITTLE as possible. No one wants to "wipe out" anything. (Are you confusing us with ball-golfers?)

That said, it may well be that Kerr Park is not the best place for any kind of recreation... so be it. But by posting with such an angry tone ("people like you..."), you've not made yourself any friends here.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Missed oppurtunity.

Originally posted by CCDeSpira View Post

You had a great opportunity to have your passion for this land heard, understood and possibly supported. I am sorry to see you that squandered it.

I can think of about 10 different ways you might have delivered the same info and in response you might have received support for what you are trying to accomplish with the land in question.

This community is open and accepting of new info about a piece of land we think "might" be a good place for a course even if that info is some one telling us "Nope this not a good place for course, and here are some excellent reasons why."

But to be scolded, stereotyped and generally flamed is no way to do that, well no way if you want to be actually heard and supported.

Comment

By the Content of our character

"To hear you people speak of taking a healthy riparian forest and wipe it out for the sake of a sporting area is absolutely ridiculous to me"

"The fact you can not see this forest for what it is alarms me even more. It is people like you, those with blind disregard for what remains of our natural green spaces, who encourage me to fight for further preservation of what remains of riparian forests in Washougal."

"I can tell you with quite some certainty that no civil or government entity will ever raze this forest without a fight."

"So good luck, fellas. You'll need it."
                This email was very informative. I for one deeply desire to be a good steward of the environment we've been given. It's really too bad you used this forum to stereotype us all, and ass-u-me we are careless, all male, and environmentally insensitive. You obviously have no clue who this community is, and have not met the key people who represent our group. I would fully agree with Jaemes that you may have squandered an opportunity to help the group understand the area and ecosystem you are so passionate about. What you may not understand is the lion's share of us are equally concerned about our foot print, and the ecosystem we could impact. I meet many people as I play that go into a large park with empty pockets in there bag, and leave with it packed with trash from irresponsible hikers, bikers, and park visitors not part of the disc golf community. Get to know us before you cast judgement on us. You WILL be surprised at how much our community cares, and what we can bring to the table to protect what you care so deeply about!
                PDGA# 49616
                Stumptown# 353
                OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

Thought I might fill you all in on what Kerr Park really is and why it is so important to the ecosystem feeding Steigerwald National Wetland.

Campen Creek flows through the forest and into Steigerwald National Wetland. Kerr Forest is, in fact, a very important riparian resource for a myriad species of birds, many of them ground nesters, as well as migratory species like The Western Tanager, and the endangered Columbia White Tail Deer. Blue Heron are abundant as are Bald Eagles and other raptors.

I have been filming and photographing Kerr Forest and its animal inhabitants for over five years and even filmed The City of Washougal's total disregard for its delicate ecosystem when the punched in the trails. The result of my filming cataloged over 165 species of birds, mammals and amphibians as well as produced the film "How a Greenbelt Became a Shoestring: The Story of Kerr Park".

To hear you people speak of taking a healthy riparian forest and wipe it out for the sake of a sporting area is absolutely ridiculous to me. The fact you can not see this forest for what it is alarms me even more. It is people like you, those with blind disregard for what remains of our natural green spaces, who encourage me to fight for further preservation of what remains of riparian forests in Washougal.

I can tell you with quite some certainty that no civil or government entity will ever raze this forest without a fight. Kerr Forest is protected not just by The Land Trust but by each and every one of us 50 residents who reside alongside it. And they know that.

**By the way, truckloads of garbage were not removed from the site. But I did film The City of Washougal dumping countless loads of debris from other sites they had cleared into Kerr Forest as well them dumping debris into the creek.
                  I can appreciate that you help protect land so important to wildlife, but feel you should know more about our sport and those who work so hard to install and maintain our courses before you start talking out your @$$ about something you know NOTHING about!
                  "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                  -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X