X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a Thought (Kelley Point Park)

Just throwing this out there. I remember fishing out here as a kid so It has been awhile since I have been there. It looks plenty large enough for a course, not far from Pier...

http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/...ction=ViewPark

Looks pretty nice.
    Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

Honestly, I think the fact that it's so close to Pier Park (not to mention as remote as you can get and still be in Portland) is a reason not to bother. We need courses in other parts of the city... also, Pier is probably expanding to 27 holes soon.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I can understand those points Adam, I was going to also say Powell Butte... until I had seen you already covered that in another thread. Powell Butte would rock!

Comment

Yes, Powell Butte would be an excellent spot for a course, and there's plenty of room... but the opposition would be fierce.

Kelly Butte might be more likely, but it would take a lot of work.

The City of Portland is not exactly overflowing with excess land, with the exception of Forest Park... and man, you want to talk about fierce opposition....
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

We looked at Kelly Point a while back to use as a second course for the RCO and even discussed it with the City. However, we ran into a lot of conflict with the types of users that go to and use that park. There is also the fact that that park is mostly submerged during the Winter. I think Jerry Miller looked into it even further, but I can't recall the details.
            Regards,

Todd Andrews

Comment

The only parts submerged during the winter are the beach areas. In the fall the wooded areas are filled with mushroom hunters. The summer brings people to the beaches. Other than that it is the occasional fisherman, people walking their dogs, and the pervs in the lot and in the bushes. I used to spend a lot of time in that park with my dogs but its been a few years.

Comment

Right. With your dogs.

You meant in the lot and in the bushes really... didn't you?
                ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

There was the time I was walking down a trail to the beach when a guy stepped out from behind a tree with his junk in his hands... Luckily the dogs were behind me and I was able to turn around quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Andrews View Post
                    We looked at Kelly Point a while back to use as a second course for the RCO and even discussed it with the City. However, we ran into a lot of conflict with the types of users that go to and use that park. There is also the fact that that park is mostly submerged during the Winter. I think Jerry Miller looked into it even further, but I can't recall the details.
                    Jevon, I'd say it never hurts to look into the possibility again. You don't know what the city has in mind or what might have changed since the idea was first brought to the city's attention. You of course might get the same feedback and results as years past, but you never know...

I'd encourage you to take the ball and run with it if you so desire.
                    Again, you never know...you could very well end up designing a course...

Comment

this park would be ideal, I had heard the city wanted to keep it more of a wilderness area. As for Pier going to 27, I've been hearing that whopper for the last three years, so don't hold your breath folks. But, oh how nice it would be to have a course at Kelly Point, perfect spot.
                      educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                        As for Pier going to 27, I've been hearing that whopper for the last three years, so don't hold your breath folks.
                        Supposedly they DID get funding to build a bridge over the tracks. Dunno if there's a schedule though.
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't try, I just wanted to relate what my previous experience was. Good luck either way.
                          Regards,

Todd Andrews

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                            Honestly, I think the fact that it's so close to Pier Park (not to mention as remote as you can get and still be in Portland) is a reason not to bother. We need courses in other parts of the city... also, Pier is probably expanding to 27 holes soon.
                            You're right, we don't need any more disc golf courses, unless they're in the exact right place...
                            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I gotta break free this weekend and head down there with my fishing rod, disk and basket. Like I said, its been a few years since I have been down there, gotta refresh my memory of the park.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X