Have land....planning a course in Ellensburg.....need design help Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have land....planning a course in Ellensburg.....need design help

Our "club" is starting the planning phase to build a course west of Irene Rhinehart part in Ellensburg. The land is owned by the city and will need to be approved by the city council, but we have the backing of the parks and rec department. However I realize while I'm great at rallying the troops, I'm not so good a laying out the course. Can anyone point me in the direction of a designer that would help us out. Thanks

Hey, right on with the headway and props on the foresight on finding a course designer. The best bet I can think of for someone (sort of) in your area is Marty Cook. He lives in the Tri-Cities, but I'm pretty sure he's the guy that put together the Moses Lake course. I don't have his contact info, but somebody on here is sure to have it. I know he used to be on discgolfersr.us a lot too, but I haven't been on there in a long time so don't know if he's still active.
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      Hey, right on with the headway and props on the foresight on finding a course designer. The best bet I can think of for someone (sort of) in your area is Marty Cook. He lives in the Tri-Cities, but I'm pretty sure he's the guy that put together the Moses Lake course. I don't have his contact info, but somebody on here is sure to have it. I know he used to be on discgolfersr.us a lot too, but I haven't been on there in a long time so don't know if he's still active.
      Heh. I sent a PM mentioning Marty as well. Looks like we might be on to something.
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Thanks for all the input!! I've decided to design the course myself after walking out the plot over the last couple of days. Meeting with the city council next month. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Here are some suggestions

Beforehand
          1. Have city outline exact land available to you.
          2. Don't volunteer to put course in on a shoestring. The P/R have budgets so let them tell you what they will do for you from Initial costs to daily maintenance.
          3. On any walkthroughs have one DG (who you trust) for every P/R rep. Assign one on one and have them only interact with that person. Remember the more you listen the more info you get. Make sure you are all on the same page going out
          4. In all your coverastions stress
            1. How the DG comminity supports itself through volunteerisum
            2. How DG sheds light on the dark corners
            3. How DG can turn unwanted Park useres around

On site
          1. Have a sign up sheet for all walkthroughs, Keeping track of the time and effort is the key to your support by identifing your volunteer base.
          2. Make a complete list of features you want to use and others you want to avoid.
          3. Encourage people too look it over alone and then offer suggestions.
          4. Have multiple walkthroughs with different skill leveled as well as Right and left handed players
          5. Have one OPEN walkthroughs with anyone who wants to attend
          6. Have two 10' pieces of PVC Have your partner hold one at Tee the other at pin. Make sure you look both directions to see which direction the hole plays best.
          7. Don't get hung up on numbering them at first "the flow" will dictate the holes order.
          8. Don't try and force the holes if it does not fit try a different approach.
          rewindb.com

Comment

Good points there. I'd add to also keep an eye out for environmental impact, you don't want to end up having to take out a hole a year down the road because of too much erosion. Chances are you'll have to get holes approved through an ecologic survey anyway, but always good to keep an eye on the future.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

This is great news!! Hopefully everything works out well with the city council folks... don't forget to mention how park usage can increase greatly with the installation of a dg course. (I'd imagine there are some statistics out there to support this) Please keep us updated on any new developments, work parties, and such...
              Thank you for your efforts, it'd be great to have another course along I-90 to make a pit-stop at... btw, do you happen to know anything about the relocation of the course in Cle Elum(sp?)?
              Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

So what's the scoop on this new course here in Ellensburg?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X