X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blyth Park

Last Thursday I presented to the Parks Board a proposal for a 9 hole course in Bothell at Blyth Park. After 45 minutes of deliberation and input from community members, it was unanimously approved by the board for installation in late spring/early summer. Due to conservitive spending this year, we are able to pay for all the baskets from the operations budget. There will be a work party in May/June to install baskets and rough tee pads (no concrete until the park goes through the master plan process in the next few years).

The topography is very beautiful and the course sits just above the sammamish River adjacent to the back 9 of waynes Golf Course. It will be fairly short, but there will be a few 300+ holes and what may turn out to be one of the most picturesqe holes in WA. Think Terrace 18 with a backdrop of the river and golf course. Roughly 450+. We had to design the course so as not to interfere with current park use (playgrounds, shelter reservations, etc)
    so will not be using much of the field at all, but that's OK as the drainage isn't great anyway. THIS COURSE COULD BE AWSOME! and there is room for possible expansion to 18 down the road.

I had to present the information objectively as possible, being that I am the Lead for the parks division, but as a testament to the progressiveness of the board, the words "no brainer" kept popping up. The Rec department may also jump on board organizing leagues and such.

Big thanks to Lowell and Chris (MLT Park board member) for their input, and all the community members who voiced there support publicly. With what seems like a potentially great course going in at Siver Lake, upper east side Disc Golf is on the rise!

Woo-hoo!
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

AWESOME. 9 minutes from my work, and on my way home, "no brainer" is popping up in my mind too! Keep me posted, Adam, I'll for sure be out there to help out however I can.
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
        Last Thursday I presented to the Parks Board a proposal for a 9 hole course in Bothell at Blyth Park. After 45 minutes of deliberation and input from community members, it was unanimously approved by the board for installation in late spring/early summer. Due to conservitive spending this year, we are able to pay for all the baskets from the operations budget. There will be a work party in May/June to install baskets and rough tee pads (no concrete until the park goes through the master plan process in the next few years).

The topography is very beautiful and the course sits just above the sammamish River adjacent to the back 9 of waynes Golf Course. It will be fairly short, but there will be a few 300+ holes and what may turn out to be one of the most picturesqe holes in WA. Think Terrace 18 with a backdrop of the river and golf course. Roughly 450+. We had to design the course so as not to interfere with current park use (playgrounds, shelter reservations, etc)
        so will not be using much of the field at all, but that's OK as the drainage isn't great anyway. THIS COURSE COULD BE AWSOME! and there is room for possible expansion to 18 down the road.

I had to present the information objectively as possible, being that I am the Lead for the parks division, but as a testament to the progressiveness of the board, the words "no brainer" kept popping up. The Rec department may also jump on board organizing leagues and such.

Big thanks to Lowell and Chris (MLT Park board member) for their input, and all the community members who voiced there support publicly. With what seems like a potentially great course going in at Siver Lake, upper east side Disc Golf is on the rise!
        Nice work! Like the others have said, keep us updated and thanks for all your time and effort.
        "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
        -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

I had heard Lowell was working on a park in Bothell and that it was privileged information on where it was being located, thanks for the update and coming out party. Keep up the good work on those new courses. Great Job Adam, Lowell, Chris and anyone else working on this.
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Blyth is now a blue icon on the Washington map.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Nice job, great to hear that there will be a new local option!
              'Weekend 4 Women':
              Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
              Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

BTW Adam, I think you need the Port Angeles course on your map!
                'Weekend 4 Women':
                Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Done. Let me know if you see any other omissions.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I sent you a message about Dykstra Park, that needs on the list too.
                    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

BOOYAA!!!!!!
                      As I have been a Bothell resident for 15 years now, any new local courses are always welcome.
                      I'm surprised nobody has considered the new Centennial Park in Bothell, this would be a perfect place for an 18 hole layout.

Comment

Any Updates?
                        "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                        -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

There will be a work party Saturday, June 19th from 10am-3pm at Blyth Park. Mostly it will be roughing out teepads and hauling wood chips. We will provide refreshments and maybe lunch for the event so anyone who would like to be part of this please come and show your support. I would love to get impressions and feedback from the disc golf community as well. We will provide the tools, just bring gloves.

Hope to see you there!
                          Adam

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
                            BOOYAA!!!!!!
                            As I have been a Bothell resident for 15 years now, any new local courses are always welcome.
                            I'm surprised nobody has considered the new Centennial Park in Bothell, this would be a perfect place for an 18 hole layout.
                            Been there, tried that. Centennial park was purchased threough a Snohomish County Conservation Futures grant and is required to be a passive use park. That said, I conceptualized 18 holes 2 years ago there, brought it foreward, and was shot down. Think of Blyth as a trial run, with Centennial being the ultimate goal. It could truly be an epic course along the lines of a Lakewood.

Comment

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                              There will be a work party Saturday, June 19th from 10am-3pm at Blyth Park. Mostly it will be roughing out teepads and hauling wood chips. We will provide refreshments and maybe lunch for the event so anyone who would like to be part of this please come and show your support. I would love to get impressions and feedback from the disc golf community as well. We will provide the tools, just bring gloves.

Hope to see you there!
                              Adam
                              Marking my calendar...
                              Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X